Torrens Title townhouses - common walls, shared driveway

Can anyone clarify how issues are dealt with in relation to Torrens Title townhouses. This can be adjoined townhouses facing the street like terraces with own front and back yard and entrance/driveway, or off a common driveway - shared by a few townhouses or just the rear one sharing the driveway of the front townhouse for access. If I have the wrong idea of what defines a Torrens Title townhouse please correct me.

I have read a few threads but nothing definitive.

A few issues come to mind:
  • Insurance - if two are attached do they have to be under the one policy, even though two different owners. What about the old style semi's side by side on street - I assume they are just insured by each owner. What's the difference?
  • If a few TH's use a common driveway and that is all that is shared, how is maintenance/repairs (or cleaning) managed. Or is this situation different and some sort of community title applies rather than Torrens title.
  • If a rear townhouse shares front TH driveway up to the point that the driveway then enters the property of the rear TH, what happens with maintenance etc in this case for shared section. I read that in this case there is a right of way on titles for access to rear TH, but no mention of maintenance.

A Torrens Title townhouse (avoiding strata) is more appealing due to independence but I have always wondered about the above issues.

The insurance would be the same as any other situation, say a duplex. You insure your place separately. You can actually rebuild, but you cant take down your neighbors half of the wall (if boundary is in the middle).

Driveway probably has a right of way, as with any other property you would usually look after the area in front of your place, as many do looking after council land in front of own property.

Maintenance issues would probably be of a common sense type of thing where all get together and agree, if nothing specific on the title then you fight it out with any difficult owner/s.

Strata can be ok if managed properly and owners understand "strata" is not some sort of thing that is funded from the govt. I think torrens would also be good, but in a situation like your mentioning the person at the rear who has a buggered driveway would have an uphill battle getting others to agree to fix, but I believe they may have a requirement that it be in reasonable working condition for all who have the rights to use it.

A good solicitor will tell you of any issues before you proceed, as each area may have differing rules.

Back