Torrens Title townhouses - what is shared?

Can anyone clarify how issues are dealt with in relation to Torrens Title townhouses. This can be adjoined townhouses facing the street like terraces with own front and back yard and entrance/driveway, or off a common driveway - shared by a few townhouses or just the rear one sharing the driveway of the front townhouse for access.

I have read a few threads but nothing definitive.

A few issues come to mind:

1. Insurance - do all attached have to be under the one policy. A duplex with shared driveway and common property is either under the one owner or strata if two owners, so insurance is obvious. The old style semi's side by side on street I assume are just insured by each owner. What's the diff?
  2. If a few TH's use a common driveway and that is all that is shared, how is maintenance/repairs (or cleaning) managed. Or does this situation not exist and some sort of community title applies.
  3. If a rear townhouse shares front TH driveway up to the point that the driveway then enters the property of the rear TH, what happens with maintenance etc in this case for shared section. I read that in this case there is a right of way on titles for access to rear TH, but no mention of maintenance.

A townhouse without strata is a good compromise for someone wanting something between a unit and a house, but I have always wondered about the above issues.

Back