Totally unbeleivable.

I've been amusing myself by reading the ACT RTT outcomes from austlii at the moment.

In particular, most of today has been spent reading this one

What a HIDE. I honestly didn't expect the outcome... even by the time I got to line 25 or so I was thinkin "this dude is just obfuscating crap"
and then the Member went on to use that exact word.

Hopefully this dude never finds somewhere else to rent. Professional Whinger.

I will say that some of these things i've read, i've been clearly on the tenants side, and other times on the LL's side.. sometimes it's hard to tell..
it's all definitely interesting though

looks like it gets worse.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/act/ACTRTT/2006/4.html

another 4K to be paid to the tenants.. haven't read all through it yet though

Yes, rental tenancy in ACT is not easy as many people in ACT, including tenants are quite adept at exploiting bureaucratic 'loopholes'. This gives the lie that LL profit from RE by just sitting on their a***. If you want to get the recalcitrant tenant evicted, they can potentially delay up to 12 months. Little wonders in some societies Mafia is looked upon kindly as problem solvers, note the variant service used in the collapse of Opes, investigation of hidden cash reserves in Singapore.

I've been amusing myself by reading the ACT RTT outcomes from austlii at the moment.

In particular, most of today has been spent reading this one

What a HIDE. I honestly didn't expect the outcome... even by the time I got to line 25 or so I was thinkin "this dude is just obfuscating crap"
and then the Member went on to use that exact word.

Hopefully this dude never finds somewhere else to rent. Professional Whinger.

I will say that some of these things i've read, i've been clearly on the tenants side, and other times on the LL's side.. sometimes it's hard to tell..
it's all definitely interesting though

The tenant may have had a point but the emotion laden responses made it unbearable to read. Try and keep the emotion and heat out of the responses as the "judge" just doesnt want to know.

All i can say is Yuk and double Yuk.

I've got a sore head reading that case all the way through....but what an absolute nightmare for the Landlord.

Lease premises to the son, he buggers off after a while without telling a soul, Ma & Pa who's unwell and hasn't worked for 3 years (gee, I haven't heard that sob story before) simply slip in there unannounced, then start complaining and over-dramatising everything, all the while not paying rent.

....and all subject to the and falling under the poxy RTA laws.

That ain't an asset....that's just one big stressful headache wrapped up in a cash eating nightmare surrounded by a humanitarian sob story.

Yuk and double yuk.

Not to mention the complete fabrication about the rent arrears.

It makes me think that there may have been a repair problem but it was blown out of all proportion by the tenant to escape paying the rent.

who knows what the real story is! can't believe it wasn't sorted out sooner and was allowed to get progressively worse and worse!

What? So the tenants won?

I only read the first link where it was ordered

"The tenants are to pay the landlords the sum of $882.00 forthwith. "

the 2nd link is

"The Respondent, Richard Watts is to pay the tenants the sum of $4160.00 within 28 days. "

How did that happen? I thought the $4160 was offset from the rent owed?

edit: just read the decision; the tribunal member allowed another years rent reduction for a total of 2 years. This meant the landlord then owed $4160 to the tenant.

Last edited:
As an ex-Canberran, I can only draw from this that the same quality of legal representation exists in the rental tribunal as in the magistrates court. Maybe that's where they'll put Higgins when he retires.

I had a similar managing agent and a visit to the tribunal. At the tribunal the tenant hadn't even bothered to turn up when the case was called. The tribunal made my agent contact him and request he come on down. He works/worked for the Aus Government Solicitors office.

When he arrives, the tribunal apologised to HIM, and let him bring up a problem with the bathroom door not closing properly that he had NEVER mentioned previously. He'd moved into the propery when their house in Chapman burned down. After 6 months (of a 12 month lease) they'd sold the block of land, go their insurance payout and bought themselves a new house. He wanted out of his 12 month lease, and decided he'd try to get some money from me cos he wasn't happy living in the brand new townhouse that he'd rented.

Upshot, he got to break his lease with no problem (in fact, he wasn't on the lease, it was taken in the wife's name only), AND I had to pay him $720 for damages or whatever term they gave it. Soo not happy Jan :(

What would happen to you if you refused to pay?

Dunno. Unfortunately we listened to our useless property managers and paid up. I ran a lolly machine business at the time, and had thousands of 20c pieces. I had thoughts of using them to pay, and definitely should have as it's legal currency etc. but ended up paying using about 5 different cheques on different accounts.

If I had known then what I know now I most likely would have either been in attendance at the tribunal, appealed the decision or certainly taken further advice.

The managing agent was the initial one mentioned in this tribunal case!

Awful to say, but I am looking forward to the day when a Landlord pulls out a gun and murders their tenant in the Tribunal chambers, then shoots the judge's kneecaps off for extra fun.

Maybe then they'll revisit some of these stupid laws.

Am I bad? Damn straight.

Back