Townhouse Project Design

Hi,

Just wanted some quick opinions on an upcoming project.

Current design for multiple townhouses has only about 5.5 to 6m between the living spaces of 2 storey townhouses facing eachother, with access road down the middle.

To me, this seems very tight but I have seen many existing builds just like this, but then also many others that are much more generous.

The site will be more for PPOR than investors.

Any thoughts on whether the above spacing is too tight?

Obviously has been designed that way to maximize yield.

Some context is needed.

What does the market expect in this area? Is this generally what people want? To me it sounds fine but without knowing the area etc and seeing the designs it's hard to say definitely

We inspected some brand new local townhouses where the driveway ran between two houses and into the large (originally back yards) block at the rear, two townhouses facing another two townhouses. In this case, the front two faced the side yard next door but also faced the city and would get a city view (I think). They were both sold, so we couldn't see inside.

The two we did inspect looked into the back of the front two so instead of a city view, they looked over the driveway and into the bathroom windows of the ones in front. No wonder they took longer to sell, and the vendor was hoping to reach $700K (front ones sold for about $720K or $730K I'm told.

If the townhouses you mention will be facing each other, then I imagine sitting on your balcony with some other people sitting on their balcony just six metres away would be awkward. If that is how it must be, perhaps louvred shutters to angle the view when needed would be a nice value add?

It really does depend on the area and who the target market are.

For example where I sell there can be differing opinions depending on suburbs where the physical difference in areas can be only 2km from each other. Buyers in one area will expect a certain style and a certain spacing between townhouses where in another they will put up with being closer and some sacrifices in privacy.

It is also highly dependent on the actual layout of the townhouses, and in order to comment properly I would need to know the area you are building and basic plans for the site.

Some context is needed.

What does the market expect in this area? Is this generally what people want? To me it sounds fine but without knowing the area etc and seeing the designs it's hard to say definitely

Its not a high-cost area.

Sales prices around high 3's low 4s for a 3/2/2 or 3/2/1

Expect 35+ TH on the site

There aren't a lot of THs built in the area in the last 10 years, so hard to assess what people want.

If the townhouses you mention will be facing each other, then I imagine sitting on your balcony with some other people sitting on their balcony just six metres away would be awkward. If that is how it must be, perhaps louvred shutters to angle the view when needed would be a nice value add?

No balconies at the front - ground floor patio leading out to small yard.

But it would still mean bedrooms could be just 6m apart.

Sort of - yes.

My concern is that being so close to eachother may be an issue for potential buyers / renters.

Party walls can be sound-proofed and don't have penetrations.

Looking out your window 6m into someone else's is my concern.

Just wanting to hear the opinions of others.

Then have hilite windows or have lower opaque windows. Any competent designer would be able to deal with this. Does your current design have people looking into other bedrooms 6m away?

Then have hilite windows or have lower opaque windows. Any competent designer would be able to deal with this. Does your current design have people looking into other bedrooms 6m away?

Still in concept stage, so definitive plans.

Just doing block massing to assess yields etc.

Back