Townhouse without body corporate?

Hi Guys

I am just wondering if it's normal for townhouse without body corporate? what will happen when i am trying to sell the property in the future? Obviously there won't be body corp search required but i am just wondering what will happen when common ground needs repairing because obviously there wont be sinking funds etc.

How will insurance company look at this type of property? will they be able to insure it?

what things i have to be aware of (searches etc) when buying this type of property?

so many questions :) will really appreciate your inputs though

hi Lizzie
how do we know if its Torrens or strata? There are 4 in the complex and the common ground is the driveway to each home

Well technically Strata is Torrens title...Strata is just an extension of Torrens title (replacement of the archaic company title) to accommodate for apartments where you own the airspace within the building as opposed to the actual building itself. But I digress..

In answer to your question - if there is a driveway on the property that is shared by all/some of the other townhouse residents, then that will be common property which needs a body corporate to manage. However, given there are no facilities/lifts and minimal maintenance, the body corporate will be a very small operation most likely managed by all the lot owners rather than a professional body corporate manager.

If the common driveway needs repairing it will be the responsibility of the body corporate to levy each lot-owner to pay for the repairs. There will be two types of insurance:

1 that you, the townhouse owner, will obtain for your own townhouse only.
1 that the body corporate may get to cover damage etc to the common property. But this is more important for apartment complexes where the body corporate owns the entire building and obviously the numbers are much larger.

If the townhouse is freehold title, there should be no 'common' property. All of the property will be within the boundary of the lots.

Any percieved common property (eg driveway) will likely be owned by one of the parties with an access easement burdening the lot.

Its categorised as a single unit dwelling so there is no body corp. also means you should have your own services etc. If a driveway is shared with another party then the titles will have reciprocal easements. More and more common these days.

Back