Townhouses where you are allowed to make changes to the exterior

Do such townhouses exist? Where there aren't rules about keeping a consistent look?

So basically the BC would manage all the shared facilities but owners are otherwise free to do whatever they want - paint it, change the roof, render the exterior, etc.

I get the need for consistency in an apartment building (e.g. don't want everyone having different doors and door knobs, different coloured verandah railings etc), but I don't see how a little variation would hurt a townhouse complex. I mean you could still have guidelines, such as no pink or bright coloured houses, and you need to keep it to a certain standard so they don't fall into disrepair etc. Maybe standardize certain things like fences, letter boxes, but give owners creative freedom for the rest.

I've been wondering for a while whether such complexes exist out there.

Thirty years in the industry and I can't recall every seeing it i.e. owners having control over individual look ! There are good reasons why - It's got disaster written all over it ..

I put a question to a strata meeting a year ago about putting in a window
and changing the roof line in my top floor attic, didnt seem an issue as long
as I had the council approvals and paid for strata legals to have me own and
maintain the new work.

All BCs are different. Some are run by the Gestapo and others are run by the residents who allow the owners to do as they please within reason.

Depends who is on the committee and probably how long they have been there (control freaks). You can always raise a motion at a committee meeting to have a bylaw changed. These things have to be voted on and it just depends how many turn up to the meeting and vote, as to whether something changes or not.

Yep, the strata company is made up all the owners anyway. You can attend put up motions and vote just like any share holder.

Back