Townsville help with managing agents

Hi folks,

I have gone through a few agents in Towsnville over the last 10 years and am a bit disappointed in how they all end up (as they grow) - almost fraudulent behavior in some cases! Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else has IPs there and can share a recommendation. I am looking at buying another few IPs there this year and need to get this sorted.

Have not had any issues with agents for my IPs in Melbourne... so I hope it's THEM and not ME ;)

Hi folks,

I have gone through a few agents in Towsnville over the last 10 years and am a bit disappointed in how they all end up (as they grow) - almost fraudulent behavior in some cases!

Hi Iggy

Can you give some examples of the 'almost fraudulent' behaviour and 'how they all end up'? It's hard to comment without this information.

cheers

Jen

Hi Jen,

Started with Page and Pearce - bought something like 7 properties from them and sold a few too. Had all managed with them but when Greg retired things went downhill - repairs and maintenance started getting weird requests. All of a sudden had them pushing a tenant out and had one of the PM's "friends" apply and be a "star tenant" and as soon as move in, the PM started demanding things to be changed in the place. It was very dodgy. Had another manager that kept pushing for rent reductions (even tho it was at a lower than average rent) - moved to another agent and it went up $20per week per unit or something instantly and was vacant for less than 2 weeks.

Don't want to discuss the current situation too much... but as an example, in a phone call about electrical issues, just dropped a bomb that the tenant passed away. No idea when, how, what is being done, what the family is doing, what the legal process is etc. It only came up because we said something about access to that unit in the block.

Happy to chat on the phone this week.

I have used Virgo and Patterson for the last couple of years. They have been good and easy to work with. Always helpful and easy to contact. Naturally had a couple of small hiccups which were fixed after a phone call. They take good photos for inspections.

The agents (Coral Sea Property) before that sacked me though they had been good for 12 years up to that point. They made 5 errors which cost me money as they moved a tenant out out of a townhouse. They did reimburse me. They only seem to want to deal with A grade tenants and landlords.

You should have been told that the tenant passed away. Or you would have picked up on the rental statement that you didn't have rent coming in. Would have been a mess to sort out cleaning the property and getting the bond to cover it, I should think.

I have in the past had fortnightly payments of the rent. Once the tenants had proved they were paying the rent on time, I have moved back to monthly payments. But thats the first thing I check on the rental statement.

Thank you for that... I will try both of those. Tenant passed away a few weeks ago, don't even know when the rent was paid up to, what happens with the bond, with the family, etc. Need to read legislation.

Appreciate the feedback.

I have used Virgo and Patterson for the last couple of years. They have been good and easy to work with. Always helpful and easy to contact. Naturally had a couple of small hiccups which were fixed after a phone call. They take good photos for inspections.

The agents (Coral Sea Property) before that sacked me though they had been good for 12 years up to that point. They made 5 errors which cost me money as they moved a tenant out out of a townhouse. They did reimburse me. They only seem to want to deal with A grade tenants and landlords.

You should have been told that the tenant passed away. Or you would have picked up on the rental statement that you didn't have rent coming in. Would have been a mess to sort out cleaning the property and getting the bond to cover it, I should think.

I have in the past had fortnightly payments of the rent. Once the tenants had proved they were paying the rent on time, I have moved back to monthly payments. But thats the first thing I check on the rental statement.

I understand what an A grade tenant is but what is an A grade landlord and why would you suggest that you aren't one?

They have no affliction with our company at all so only commenting as a client.

I have used Virgo Patterson for many years and while I would not say they are outstanding or the best agents ever they are far better than many agents I have in other major towns in QLD and in other states.

Certainly worth a call as part of your due diligence process.

Good Luck

Mate I have used Coral Sea for past 14 months and they have been excellent. They are certainly a little ' out there' but considering the current vacancy rate and market issues I am glad they got someone locked in straight away. The property is in good condition and I am happy with the communication.

Recommend them for sure.

Mate I have used Coral Sea for past 14 months and they have been excellent. They are certainly a little ' out there' but considering the current vacancy rate and market issues I am glad they got someone locked in straight away. The property is in good condition and I am happy with the communication.

Recommend them for sure.

They sent us numerous letters trying to poach our business

When I finally thought I would give them a go I told them it was a house with a granny flat which the manager was surprised about..

They went and looked at the house the next day and said they couldn't take us on as a client because the house had a granny flat!

Back