Toxic attitudes

Before I found Somersoft I was trying my best to learn on Whirlpool, where you have a mix of knowledgeable investors as well as some real pessimists.

You're probably even familiar of one of the threads I'm thinking of:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2312172

Being blindly optimistic isn't necessarily a good thing either, and many of us will no doubt make our fair share of mistakes throughout our careers, but jesus christ some of these people are so negative I can't see how they could ever achieve anything. It was so frustrating I was glad to find this place. I mean don't get me wrong - I don't want Somersoft to be an echo chamber of positivity, but it's a breath of fresh air to be able to have real discussions without constantly being bombarded with sarcastic, highly bitter remarks about how the world is about to end.

I was about to make a joke thread on Whirlpool entitled: "Brisbane real estate prices are depressing", just to pre-emptively poke fun at people who have the benefit of seeing the Sydney tailwinds but aren't taking advantage of it, but...a thread with that title already existed. Yeah, seriously.

I don't know what point I'm trying to make, I guess just seeing how cheap Brisbane is compared to Sydney and STILL seeing people complain just makes me want to shake my head (and these people of course will struggle to buy a few years from now and blame it on immigrants etc).

EDIT: LOL case in point, the very first post in that thread is this gem:

"Reminder that you must be on about $300k/pa to afford an average dump in Sydney, according to world accepted metrics.

The coming depression sure will be fun!"

Last edited:
I'm not even going to click on the link and ruin the rest of my day.

That is why the site should remain as is and not be marketed or exploited to allow such malarkey in here

That is why the site should remain as is and not be marketed or exploited to allow such malarkey in here

Unfortunately you will see people in that forum - as I was - genuinely trying to find help and engage in thoughtful discussion. You see half of them convinced by the sheer weight of negativity to just wait for the so called apocalypse.

Well, Ive been around this forum since very early 2000's and of course I have gotten into a bit of trouble with mods after some very vigourous political debates over the years.

But, putting that aside, I can tell you that this is the most valuable resource for anyone considering property investment. Period.

All you have to do is search anything you might wish to find in relation to PI and I reckon you will find answers, explanations, and real life experiences across the whole spectrum of property investing.

If its not there then begin a new thread and I guarantee you will get decent discussion with many long term and new members inputting their real life experiences.

Just dont come on and start spruking political agenda designed to stir things up.

My mistake was to engage these trolls and try to defeat them.
Big mistake on my behalf. I could have been considered toxic to some but not on the investing front, only when things got off track politically.
Most are gone now and the rest of us who are passionate about such things have toned things down by the looks of it.

However you need not worry about that, move on and get stuck into this wonderful resource that is largely free of the crap that you obviously have encountered at whirlpool.

This forum has had a direct and profound impact on my life moving forward both financially and personally. Great opportunity for networking with very positive and highly intelligent people. I advise to study this forum at great lengths.

Good luck and keep us posted on your successes as Im sure will follow.:)

Nothing to sell here, just knowledge to be gained, and it's free !!!:)

Are your old posts still available par lap sounds like they could be interesting reading!

I did feel like reporting your post as soon I read it for old time sake

And couldn't agree more with the rest of your post! Hopefully it stays free of oxygen thieves in here for other educated decent human beings

Are your old posts still available par lap sounds like they could be interesting reading!

I did feel like reporting your post as soon I read it for old time sake

And couldn't agree more with the rest of your post! Hopefully it stays free of oxygen thieves in here for other educated decent human beings

Pretty sure 'The Fence' would be a good start.

pinkboy

Agreed with the poster re: Whirlpool forums. I spent about 20 minutes there once upon a time, before leaving the site and never going back :)

I think the problem with Whirlpool, is that it is a large forum that talks about all sorts of things. Property is just a small part. So, you end up getting a heap of people step into the property area, giving their opinion, but they have no real knowledge of the property market, and have no interest in buying property at all. They don't understand IP's and tenant issues either, so you really aren't going to get the kind of discussions that you would here.

I think the problem with Whirlpool, is that it is a large forum that talks about all sorts of things. Property is just a small part. So, you end up getting a heap of people step into the property area, giving their opinion, but they have no real knowledge of the property market, and have no interest in buying property at all.

Yep - this is my observation too.

Quite a lot of users are strongly opinionated - but clearly demonstrate a lack of understanding on the particular topic. It can be a dangerous combination.

There's a lot of immature uses (read trolls) on there as well!

Cheers

Jamie

There's a reason why its also known as Whingepool (That said it does give me a good sounding board whether X product is worth considering, ie if there aren't negative posts about it, then it must be half decent) :p

Even on the computer technical discussions you see a lack of immaturity as well as a lack of understanding on most things technical.

Their source seems to wikipedia and what other forum members have said..... then again, maybe thats because the computer hardware section is full of 12-15 year olds.

I never visit Whirlpool except to ask technical Internet questions.

Whrilpool is full of intelligent people. Most intelligent people never make serious money because they're good at their job. Smart people get rich. Why talk to intelligent people about making money when you can talk to smart people?

most people on whirl pool are 23 year old nerds who have never had a girlfriend and have a virtual girlfriend.

also, everyone on there acts as though they are holier then though, who are all on six figure incomes , and have never got a parking fine in their life

most people on whirl pool are 23 year old nerds who have never had a girlfriend and have a virtual girlfriend.

also, everyone on there acts as though they are holier then though, who are all on six figure incomes , and have never got a parking fine in their life

HAHAHAHAH Well said :) most nerdy doesnt know much about economic let alone property market hahaha!

Yep - this is my observation too.

Quite a lot of users are strongly opinionated - but clearly demonstrate a lack of understanding on the particular topic. It can be a dangerous combination.

There's a lot of immature uses (read trolls) on there as well!

Cheers

Jamie

Sounds a lot like the 2015 edition of Somersoft ;)

I just did; an interesting read.

I think the demographic of a site has a lot to do with the comments.

If I was 23 and trying to buy my first property, I might be inclined to think it's unfair, too hard etc.

When I was 23 it was.

But now as an older person (54) for me it is not so hard.

The 23 year olds forget that us 54 year olds were 23 and broke too (I'm still broke :D :eek:).

What's worse than a broke 23 year old whining about the cost of a house?

A 23 year old on a six figure income whining about the cost of a house.

happy you found this forum and so did i.

is really exciting to talk about the same interest and acting ahead with the support of your peers.

usually when i speak to ppl not of the same interest they just diverge and not 100% committed to make any changes.....

I fully agree with the OP. It is terrible the effect that these people can have on your outlook on life. I believe the power of thoughts are hugely underrated, you surround yourself with negative people like these at your peril!

That negative attitude can absolutely become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sure, it is much easier to be negative and protect yourself, it saves you from putting your neck out and being noticed. It is a much better way to live a life of abundance, help people where you can and maintain a positive mindset - it is an incredibly powerful thing to do.

Back