Tradesperson Emigration from UK

I received the following email (in quotation marks) from some friends who are emigrating from the UK. Do any forumites have any words of wisdom I can pass to these good people? :confused:

"We have friends who also want to relocate to Brisbane/Gold Coast. Do you know of any construction companies that would sponsor someone on a 457? Our friend runs his own business in the U.K. as a builder/plumber/carpenter and is extremely hard working, but doesn’t actually hold any formal qualifications. They are desperate to try and find a way in to Australia and if someone would offer him a 457 it seems this would be the best way."

Hi,
I suggest get the person to assess his qualifications with someone like trades recognition Australia. Once they assess him as a qualified plumber/electrician/carpenter then they can migrate as a permanent resident and allowing them to work anywhere downunder without having to rely on any employer sponsoring their visa. 457 visa although easier for employers... is not so great if an employee is seeking a sponsor.

Alternatively they can try a regional migration visa which would limit them to settle anywhere besides Sydney / Melbourne for a few years.

I strongly suggest they seek a professional advice though.

I was on 457 before but now happily call Australia home.

I don't like the chances of accessment passing, I have staff who wanted to obtain a few different trade licenses and have worked for me for last 10yrs in that trade and what a drama passing.
They need 2yrs solid work resume , and of course in Australia then you need the right contruction cert and hold a biz management cert.
Add a few thousand dollars to this and then maybe.

They are cracking down on tradies and I honestly feel it's more a money making scandal !

hi Modal Harmony
as they say
they missed the boat by about 3 years.
for 20k they could have bought a builder license in nsw and there was a royal commission into it

I'm a Migration Agent in Sydney and advise on these types of issues every day (many trades people often carpenters).

If he has no formal qualifications he will not be able to obtain a positive skills assessment from Trades Recognition Australia-a pre-requisite for lodging a skilled independent visa application. Trades Recognition Australia has suspended processing of pathway D applications (those that are based on 6 years employment experience only) due to a high level of fraudulent references (mostly from applicants from one or two specific countries).

Your friend is on the correct path. He needs to find an employer willing to sponsor him on a 457 visa for more than 2 years. His family would be included as secondary applicants. After 2 years on a 457 visa the same sponsoring company could then sponsor him on an Employer Nomination Scheme (Permanent residence) visa. No skills assessment will be required at this stage (as Dept of Immigration will accept 2 years here on a 457 visa) as evidence that he has the trade skills. He needs to be careful that the sponsoring employer has a record of training Australian citizen employees (i.e. has apprentices) and has the financial capacity to meet the sponsorship obligations.

He needs to work out what trade he has for the purpose of the 457 application. Dept of Immigration does not handle multi-skilled trades people very well. For the purpose of a 457 application he would be well advised to show evidence of at least 6 years employment experience as a carpenter or as a plumber (but not as both) including evidence in references of on the job training he received.

He would be best to travel to Australia on a visitor Electronic Travel Authority (he could apply for this over the internet). When he is visiting Brisbane or the Gold Coast he could make enquiries about employment. Most employers would want to meet him in person. Difficult for an employer to sponsor someone who they never actually get to meet face to face.

check out britishexpats.com and go to the discussion forum on Australia,

there is plenty of talk from people that have made the move from blighty to aus.

I believe it takes a long time for tradies to be recognised over here and there is alot of red tape involved.

I am also a Registered migration agent, I strongly agree with Ajax. the best way that your friend should come to Australia as a vistor firstly, in his visit, he should try to find out an eligible employer/sponsor.and then make 457 visa application.

My father in law moved out for years ago. He was an electrician in England and had his own electrical busines for years, when he tried to get recognised here they basically told him to go and do the last 2 years of an apprenticeship here. And that was from someone who has their ticket

My father in law moved out for years ago. He was an electrician in England and had his own electrical busines for years, when he tried to get recognised here they basically told him to go and do the last 2 years of an apprenticeship here. And that was from someone who has their ticket

That doesn't sound right ??

If he had a ticket over there then I am sure its just a matter of doing some prac exercises and a written test at TAFE to get the licence recognition.
2 yrs trade school sounds nuts..

kp

I am also a Registered migration agent, I strongly agree with Ajax. the best way that your friend should come to Australia as a vistor firstly, in his visit, he should try to find out an eligible employer/sponsor.and then make 457 visa application.

Hell I will sponser him!!
Only problem is we operate in regional WA currently.
Metro Perth will be next and then there is potential for expansion to Qld but more regional and not Brisbane.

We have had some experience using Irish chippies and they were brilliant.
So much so we are seriously looking into sourcing more trades from o/seas.
Problem is we have to walk before we can run. Right now we are crawling.

kp

Last edited:
work

I too have at of friends who are out here at the moment on holiday visas,all sparkies and are going through a nightmare trying to get their trades recognised,I have my own company working in the sticks in W.A but I was really lucky because I came before all these new rules came in......

Hell I will sponser him!!
Only problem is we operate in regional WA currently.
Metro Perth will be next and then there is potential for expansion to Qld but more regional and not Brisbane.

We have had some experience using Irish chippies and they were brilliant.
So much so we are seriously looking into sourcing more trades from o/seas.
Problem is we have to walk before we can run. Right now we are crawling.

kp

I think you should PM Modal Harmony, coz for regional sponsor, DIAC (Dept of Immi and Citizenship) gives kind of lower requirments such as lower wages and English level.

Hey I am working in Telfer on the overhead network,have a few sparkies working in Hedland also,loads of work out there,where you at...:D

We have a base at Karratha.
My first job up here many moons ago was the commissioning of the 220 kV tranmission line between Cape Lambert and Pt Hedland.
Have been in and out of the HV transmission and generation industry since then and finally out in Jan 08. Hopefully for the last time.

100% full time in to resi and commercial building and development now.
Hence the interest in chasing construction workers.

Kevin

Back