Traffic speeding fine $2950?

How can a speeding fine be $2950?

Our company received a traffic infringement for one of our cars. It says the driver was doing 70 in a 60kmh zone in a rural town. We still need to check which person was driving the car at the time.

But how can the fine be so high?:confused:

How can a speeding fine be $2950?

Our company received a traffic infringement for one of our cars. It says the driver was doing 70 in a 60kmh zone in a rural town. We still need to check which person was driving the car at the time.

But how can the fine be so high?:confused:

Companies are charged a multiple. Generally 5-10x the normal fine. This usually flushes the culprit out as companies find out who was driving or cop the huge fine.

pinkboy

Companies are charged a multiple. Generally 5-10x the normal fine. This usually flushes the culprit out as companies find out who was driving or cop the huge fine.

pinkboy

Do you mean if they tell them which individual was driving at the time, then the individual will be paying the normal fine, or also the 10x fine?

:eek:

Maybe a lesson not to buy car under company name???

Do you mean if they tell them which individual was driving at the time, then the individual will be paying the normal fine, or also the 10x fine?

:eek:

Maybe a lesson not to buy car under company name???

If the company sends the fine back, identifying the driver, the driver will lose points and pay the usual fine.

If the company can't identify the driver they pay up.

There was a big issue with companies hiding their drivers, as a company can't lose points. Taxi companies spring to mind.

This was how they closed the loophole.

Blacky

pinkboy

Correct...BUT and here is the kicker.....unless you have policy in place (in writing) you cannot ..yes CANNOT. .. transfer the fine to your staff member :(
It is apparently "unfair"....Check with a local HR lawyer

But take this as a warning..have a staff meeting NOW and put in writing and have all staff sign that you do not pay traffic fines. If you want exceptions you can include those. Eg: we do a LOT of work for real estates and our boys know that we will pay for parking fines because we do often have to park in a couple of loading zones or walk ages. BUT speeding is DEFINATELY NOT our fine
We also have as part of our agreement that if an accident happens in our vehicle, and the driver has alcohol or drugs in their system, they are responsible for the cost of the vehicle, as our insurance will not pay out.

We now pay all our guys through a workplace solution company, and they have agreed that our "ute policy" is legal.

Well here's another kicker. I've had staff ask me to take the wrap and pay the company fine so they don't lose their last point. :eek:

not only do they lose their job with me if they have no licence, they lose a lot of freedom!

pinkboy

Don't pay the fine. Transfer all vehicles to a new coy. Have offending emplyee pay the costs. At least they won't lose their licence!

Well here's another kicker. I've had staff ask me to take the wrap and pay the company fine so they don't lose their last point. :eek:

not only do they lose their job with me if they have no licence, they lose a lot of freedom!

pinkboy

OMG. Not sure how I would deal with that.. You sort of know that their time is limited.

What did you do in that situation ???

There is a scam floating around at the moment. The scam looks like the fine is coming from a legitimate road authority. First thing I would do is to call RMS to confirm the fine.

OMG. Not sure how I would deal with that.. You sort of know that their time is limited.

What did you do in that situation ???

I guess you have to use your discretion. A few examples I can recall off the top of my head:

* Casual employee doing 96 in a 40 school zone at 3:10pm! Sacked his @r$e! Could have easily killed multiple people.

* Permanent employee, doing 70 in a 60 zone off an 80 zone.....where my wife has been caught out as well. I let this one through to the keeper and I paid the fine and he paid me back in $300/wk increments. That employee lasted with me a few years after that, but his father died so he had to go look after his farm.

* Permanent employee, about 85 in a 60. Not happy with this one. I paid it under protest, wrote up written warning and was paid back. I ended up finishing the guy up not long after for other behaviour. It was at a time when we were so busy and there was little in the way of workforce labour around.

I guess I was young and put up with a lot more back then. These days Im a lot harder, and far less tolerant.

pinkboy

In WA, the fine is only doubled e.g. 5-9 $150 (or $75 once driver nominated)
If you were on your last couple of points then it would be worth paying double the fine if the company doesn't return the fine.

:). And here is why some people should never get a work vehicle

Energex+truck+surf+fishing.jpg

Back