Tragic break lease

I believe I am about to get a two week notice of a break lease- all kosher.

The female tenant was the recipient of domestic violence. Police had visited the property a number of times.

The final time the tenant called 000, and the offender was put into jail. The incident also violated his parole conditions.

The tenant has been advised by the police to move before the offender gets out of jail. As there is a DVO against him, there is a break lease clause which allows two weeks notice to be given without penalty.

Apparently she was really happy to be moving out of home into the property. It's horrible to see it go so bad.

Very sad! Found out through school reunion one of the girls was murdered by her ex boyfriend when she was young. Glad it didn't come to that.

Sorry to hear that Geoffw. Financially for you but primarily for her. Its awful to know what some people experience, often right in our own community. We are all people at the end of the day, capable of good and horrible things. I am also saddened that victims need to move when it is a perpetrator who has been violent, broken the law and should be made responsible for his actions. I know its a can of worms and there are a thousand perspectives, so not trying to push a wheelbarrow. Its just sad.

So much anger - hopefully she attracts better people in her life.

As for you - the only thing you can do is mitigate losses and get it rented ASAP within that 2 week notice.

I don't have another property.

It won't hurt me financially, I'm well buffered. It is going to hurt her a lot more, as she has to find a temporary place quickly, move, and then find something else. At least she has a rental record now- nothing bad is going onto the record.

Thanks Marg. Although I had offered to release her from the lease when I became aware of trouble, before the big blowup, the lease itself gave the provision. I've never heard of the provision before, but I can understand why it's there.

It's unfortunate that you have to find a new tenant, but it's good that she wasn't hurt or killed, which is what often happens. Will it be hard to find another tenant? Do you have a property manager looking after it?

The property manager is definitely looking into it. They have been aware that there's been problems since I started getting complaints from the neighbours. I had previously offered to the tenant via the PM that a break lease would be acceptable. This was before the domestic situation became unacceptable.

I too have a tenant with an AVO against a former partner. No problems though--touch wood. Is the unit in Canberra/Queanbeyan? The market was difficult a while ago. I don't know what it's currently like. I hope you find someone soon.

She is lucky to have an understanding landlord who is prepared to release her from her lease.
Marg

It would be a very callous landlord that didn't release a tenant under these circumstances. Even when the landlord might not be willing, there are provisions in the tenancy agreement which gives domestic violance as an acceptable reason to break a lease.

My biggest concern (from a landlord perspective) would be if the guy comes looking for her and there's new tenants in the property. Hopefully it's made clear to him that she's moved on.

We've granted break leases a few times for our tenants who were in bad times for various reasons.

It never occurred to me to not allow them a decent break...we all need them from time to time.

Karma.

My biggest concern (from a landlord perspective) would be if the guy comes looking for her and there's new tenants in the property. Hopefully it's made clear to him that she's moved on.

This would worry me too as a landlord. Do you 'fess up to the new tenant and scare them off? We had a similar concern when there was a druggie in a house. I was worried that some of his mates might knock on the door if they didn't know he had moved. We did change the locks, but when he moved, there were all his yobbo mates helping him, so I was less concerned, knowing they would all know he wasn't there any longer.

She has now vacated.

Apparently there were two more attacks after this one. There was an ambulance at the property at one stage.

Initially, the day after the attack, she wanted to withdraw the charges. She subsequently chose to proceed, possibly this contributing to the subsequent attacks. The case went to court but I don't know the outcome.

I have arranged for the locks to be changed.

Back