Train Lines in Inner Ring Metro Suburbs - What's the real impact?

I'm in the process of purchasing a PPR/future IP in Brisbane and proximity to public transport is important for me (Who wants to walk 25 minutes in a suit in Summer in QLD?), however I am concerned about how close is to close.

I know that living near train lines can be noisy, however having lived quite close to trains before we know that with the exception of the rare track works, the noise wouldn't bother my wife and I that much. What I am concerned about is a property that significantly under-performs peers long term as a result, and hampers future plans to build an investment portfolio.

When factoring in convenience of a short commute vs noise from train tracks 200-300m away, what wins?

I appreciate all responses, would love to just get some thoughts.

Thanks guys.

I'm in the process of purchasing a PPR/future IP in Brisbane and proximity to public transport is important for me (Who wants to walk 25 minutes in a suit in Summer in QLD?), however I am concerned about how close is to close.

I know that living near train lines can be noisy, however having lived quite close to trains before we know that with the exception of the rare track works, the noise wouldn't bother my wife and I that much. What I am concerned about is a property that significantly under-performs peers long term as a result, and hampers future plans to build an investment portfolio.

When factoring in convenience of a short commute vs noise from train tracks 200-300m away, what wins?

200 - 300m should be fine. Provided you don't pay too much to start off with it should not underperform peers. If it's near a station the proximity should be attractive to tenants who value convenience over most other things.

As cities grow travel times to the city by road increase more than travel times by train, making rail access comparatively more attractive.

A case where it wouldn't be so good is if it had a fence backing onto a railway or freeway because of all the graffiti vandals who inhabit such places, the noise and potential reduced privacy if the backyard is viewable by passers by.

Remember the inverse square law when it comes to noise - double the distance and the power drops by a three-quarters. So going from right besides the track to 200 - 300m is a vast improvement. The 'sweet spot' for convenient walking distance versus noise is probably around 300 - 600 metres from the station.

Thanks Spiderman. I think distance wise it shouldn't be to bad, but the nature of the buildings in between don't provide much of a barrier. I'll be having a look over the next few days...

Go on google maps and/or google satellite to get an approximate view of what's been your potential property and the train line. Also, depending on the area in Brisbane some councils have interactive maps that show you noise corridors so you can assess if your property is affected.

No matter how close it is to the road/train tracks/flight path it will still grow in value in line with more favorable positioned properties, you'll just have to factor in 10% discount compared to a similar property away from the road/train tracks. I think location would be more important ie suburb within 20min to the city, amenities etc.

We recently bought across the road from the train line and in a complex and i have spent some time looking at properties in a similar position and the growth in the last 10-12 years compared to others in the same suburbs and there is no difference in growth, if the suburb goes up 10% yours would go up to, as i said it'll still be cheaper cos of the less favorable location and would attract less people probably but the growth would be similar.

Plus buying in the inner ring would always have some compromises - road, trains, planes, noisy neighbours, etc. I can hear annoying motorcycle from a road nowhere near us, you can't escape it. That's the price you pay for living close to work!

Back