Travel Cash cards

Anyone had experience using Amex in Europe? I think it's too restrictive as I'm guessing a lot of smaller shops/restaurants/etc won't accept it. Just wanted to double check though so I know whether I should apply for a new card before we leave. I was planning on closing it anyway but would hold off until we got back if it was worth it.

O/S Purchases & Withdrawals

I use 28 degrees for all purchases.

For all cash withdrawals i use a Citybank card at a Citybank ATM.

Fee Free.

Because of some of the comments on here I went back to the CBA again today, different branch though.They have given me a completely different brochure than my local branch gave me a few months ago.

I suspect that they have changed the conditions of the card to keep up with the opposition.

I agree about "one method" when overseas, I use credit cards but I have Mastercard and Visa from 2 different banks so I have 3 options if something goes wrong. I also notified them where I was going and how long I would be away.

I use the Qantas Cash card. I use it mainly in the USA, so pick a time when I can get the dollar at a good rate and buy the dollars I need in advance.

I do have to pay ATM fee for cash withdrawals but no charge for any purchases, so use it to pay for groceries, food, travel etc. I take some US Dollars with me for emergency use.

I used it in the UK, Italy and Dubai by paying Australian Dollars on to the card prior to departure and transferring into currency required as I travelled.

Works for me

Chris

Because of some of the comments on here I went back to the CBA again today, different branch though.They have given me a completely different brochure than my local branch gave me a few months ago.

I suspect that they have changed the conditions of the card to keep up with the opposition.

I agree about "one method" when overseas, I use credit cards but I have Mastercard and Visa from 2 different banks so I have 3 options if something goes wrong. I also notified them where I was going and how long I would be away.

Are you referring to the $3.50 per transaction?

If so... it's always only been on cash withdraw not purchases.

Are you referring to the $3.50 per transaction?

If so... it's always only been on cash withdraw not purchases.

Hi Brady,

The "small thick brochure" I was given in February gave me the impression that each use of the card cost $3.00 or $3.50 per use and the couple affected by the problem on our trip, were definitely of the same opinion.

She was going back to the CBA to demand a refund on all the small daily transactions because she was unable to get a cash advance.

I will go to "my branch" today and see if they have any old brochures. As I was not effected it is more curiosity than anything but I may go OS again and someone else may read all this in the future so I will see what they say today.

Hi Brady,

The "small thick brochure" I was given in February gave me the impression that each use of the card cost $3.00 or $3.50 per use and the couple affected by the problem on our trip, were definitely of the same opinion.

She was going back to the CBA to demand a refund on all the small daily transactions because she was unable to get a cash advance.

I will go to "my branch" today and see if they have any old brochures. As I was not effected it is more curiosity than anything but I may go OS again and someone else may read all this in the future so I will see what they say today.

That brochure specifically says for cash ATM withdraws. It always has, I've worked in the bank since these cards came out, although I don't deal with much of these these days. But hasn't changed.

You may of been confused with if the staff provided you with brochure regarding the fees involved with an everyday account & credit cards as they also can be used o/seas abut the fees are usually higher, thats why travel money cards are recommended. that incurs costs every time you use it along with further costs for ATM withdraw.

Just back from the bank, we don't have that brochure anymore ! If I hadn't thrown out the ones I had back in March I would be OK, I guess I will just leave it at that !

Fee Free.

This is pretty much what I do.

28 degrees for all purchases anywhere that takes a credit card
Citibank Visa Debit for cash/ATM withdrawals (doesn't have to be a Citibank ATM)

Both products are 100% fee free for their intended purpose (credit/cash). The rates you get are pretty much xe.com. The only reason you would use a travel card is if you think the currency is going to drop against the AUD before you go, but this would need to be in excess of 5% (the approximate fees on these cards).

thinking of getting a 28 degrees card to use as a credit card wherever possible on my trip to hawaii.

Is there any downside to this card? it seems to good to be true, there must be a catch right?

My partner and I just got back from Europe 2 weeks ago and the entire time we used the Citibank debit cards. Surprisingly high amount of Citibank ATM's over there, no overseas ATM fees, monthly fees or currency exchange fees.

I also found it good that you didn't have to pre-select your amounts that you were taking, we just continually transferred over AUD to the account when it got low.

EDIT:
The only issue we had, was that whenever you want to view their only transaction history you need to receive an SMS with an extra automatic generated pin code (each time) and the particular number we set the account up with, we did not take with us to Europe.

Citibank plus and 28 degrees. Got Citibank when 28 degrees changed policy.

Have no issues with either. When trip done normally have 6 weeks to pay cc off, and simply transfer citibanks cash back to my normal accounts. Both cards sit with my passport till I travel again. Would not consider travel cards with fees.

MaxwellSmart / SamL

Have you used the Citibank card in South America?

They don't seem to be located everywhere -

https://online.citibank.com/US/GCL/citilocator/flow.action?countrySelect=ARG&keyword=&SpecialServiceSelect=Choose+a+special+service&DistanceSelect=25&Atms=ATMs&Branches=Branches

How are they to deal with? I haven't heard great things....

Lost nomad it doesn't matter if they have a branch in the country or not. It is free to use at any ATM (except if that operator charges a fee which isn't that common in other countries like it is here). I haven't used it in South America (had the great NAB gold card when I went there) but have used it in other countries where Citi has no presence and have had no issue getting fee free withdrawals.

I haven't had to deal with them at all, have never called them. This card just sits in the draw, when I am going travelling I just transfer money from my everyday account in to the Citi account. Their netbank facilities are definitely not as slick as the big 4 but still serviceable.

Surprisingly high amount of Citibank ATM's over there, no overseas ATM fees, monthly fees or currency exchange fees.

Hi Trqx,

Just looking at Citibank Plus conditions
http://www.citibank.com.au/global_docs/pdf/OnlineCash_ManagerPDS_and_Supp.pdf

Seems to indicate 2.5% charged on overseas ATM use?

Citibank Visa Debit Card / Citibank Debit Card ? overseas transactions
International
Transaction Fee
2.50% Charged for all overseas ATM and electronic point-of-sale transactions made in a
foreign currency using your Citi Visa Debit / Citi Debit Card. For Citi Visa Debit
transactions, this amount includes a 1% service and assessment fee payable by
Citibank to Visa. This fee will be charged as a percentage of your withdrawal amount.

:confused:

The Y-man

Hi Trqx,

International
Transaction Fee
2.50% Charged for all overseas ATM and electronic point-of-sale transactions made in a
foreign currency using your Citi Visa Debit / Citi Debit Card. For Citi Visa Debit
Citibank to Visa. This fee will be charged as a percentage of your withdrawal amount.

The Y-man

There is a note in the header of that fee table as bolded below.

Local & International Payments and Foreign Currency Services (Excludes Citibank Plus Transaction and Citibank Online Saver Accounts)

Also Whirlpool forum Wiki here.
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/citibank_plus_transaction_account

Hi Trqx,

International
Transaction Fee

The Y-man
Odd, http://www.citibank.com.au/plus3/index.htm?code=A7UMA1A1&cid=PS-GOOGLE-CPA-B082011
Then click "See How Citibank Plus Compares" (on the right hand side)
And then 4th column of the table that pops up?

Edit: My link shows data was current 19th of Sept 2013, and yours is 2014.

Fee Free.
Same same.
Saying that I used citibank at several different atm's in Asia recently and had no charges showing on my statement.
Usual charges made by overseas atm amounting to no more than $1/transaction.

Back