Travel Cash cards

Same same.
Saying that I used citibank at several different atm's in Asia recently and had no charges showing on my statement.
Usual charges made by overseas atm amounting to no more than $1/transaction.

Except for Thailand where the banks there cottoned on to a gravy train of charging foreigners 150 Baht (some now 180 Baht!) per ATM withdrawal. There used to be AEON ATM's where you could avoid this fee but this is no more. Daylight robbery.

ATM cash out restrictions

I have also been to developing countries which have a very low (by Tourist standards) maximum ATM cash out per transaction - sometimes AUD$70. Really stings when you have to pay fees.

I'll have the 28 days card in the post box soon...

Just going thru this thread as we are heading to Hawaii in Sept and has got me thinking about currency exchange etc.

I see Citibank exchange rates a good 3 cents better than NAB or CBA :eek:

Qantas Cash today showing 0.73US so in with the Big 4 as well.

A good comparison for these cards here.

So how can one lock in a currency rate now to use down the track with this Citibank Plus account?
Or do you just go with the flow, cop the AUD's level at time of travel and be thankful that Citi is not as hungry as the Big 4 ?

Used citibank in the States and Canada over Christmas... no fees from cash withdrawals or purchases while I was over there by the looks.... much better than the travel card we got from CBA last time. :)

The cash withdrawal rate on the citibank card isn't as good as purchases, but not too bad none the less.

Main benefit to is that I can withdraw what i need so I'm not carrying huge amounts of cash on me. In addition, anything left over stays in AUD so I can transfer it back to my normal account when im done.

No need to hold onto lots of foreign currency after my trip.

Lent my sister the Citibank card and loaded it up with $300 AUD.
She withdrew $200 USD from an ATM in New York and the account was debited $261.62.

Works out to be an exchange rate of 0.7644675483.
Comparing against XE on the day of the transaction = 0.7725120818.

So that $200 USD withdrawal should have cost $258.90, so $2.72 AUD fee... its not too bad, 28 degrees was better though.

However I'm pretty sure Citibank rates when making purchases are better.

Back