Travel Cash cards

I thought we had a thread on these but I can't find it so here we are.

I have just returned from a Canada/Alaska trip and thought I would let future travellers know about the restrictions on these as they are being pushed Very hard at all the banks.

These cards are praised as the best for available cash, daily expenses and shopping. After many enquiries and having to persist to get the answers that I needed, I decided not to get one.

Some people on the tour had decided they would get one so we have a very good comparison of each.

We all travelled on Air Canada, they will not accept a debit card for anything, only credit cards so travel card useless.

So we arrive in Canada, we head up to bank to get some cash, I go to the local ATM get a cash advance on my Visa, fee $2.00 + $8.00 for $400. They try to get some cash, sorry can't help you, as they maxed out their CC to buy the travel card this is a problem. It means that everywhere they go they have to use the card which attracts a $3.50 fee for every transaction. A $5 hat becomes a $8.50 hat, a $2 bottle of water becomes a $5.50 bottle of water etc.

Then we board the coach and all the way around they cope with it, we then get on board the Rocky Mountaineer train, they only accept credit cards, "sorry, no debit cards" so unable to buy souvenirs.

Board the Holland America line cruise, " sorry, debit cards not accepted, only credit cards" these poor people struggled the whole way trying to use this card.

We got 2 cash advances in Canada of $400 cost $10 each time and a cash advance in Alaska which cost $8.90 for $200. I have compared the CC exchange rates and seem to quite be favourable with what banks offer so I am happy we went the right way with cash advances and pay cash to avoid CC overseas transaction charges on small daily purchases.

In comparison, at times they were forced to go without lunch as many of the smaller places did not accept debit cards either and they paid over $100 in fees because they were using this card.

They were quite embarrassed by the situation and did not tell us of their problem until the tour was virtually over, I am sure we could have worked something out if we had known.

When we consider they had already paid to buy the card, then a % to load the card this was a very expensive option and I would love to have been a fly on the wall at the branch of 'which bank" when they went into complain.

I always prefer fee-free credit card when I travel, or travellers cheques for some countries. Add a bit of cash and that's enough to last months. Exchange rates are nearly wholesale, the fees are either nil or tiny, and they're generally secure.

I find most travel cards a ripoff. You get ripped off by the setup fee, exchange rates, withdrawal fees. Plus I'm not sure what sort of protections are available on them.

I don't think you can get much better than 28 Degrees Mastercard for travelling.

I'm glad to read this real life story about these cash cards. Makes me think for sure I wouldn't bother getting one.

I don't think you can get much better than 28 Degrees Mastercard for travelling.

I'm glad to read this real life story about these cash cards. Makes me think for sure I wouldn't bother getting one.

+1 for 28 degrees, I use this card specifically for my own personal travel expenses. So handy to have. I am so glad I had this card while I travelled around Europe / Africa

On the other hand, cold hard cash also works.
But only down fall is, if you are travelling to some parts of Africa, only certain places accepts AU dollars, most only accept green back money
Once I was stuck somewhere because no one would accept my AU cash, imagine that

Wouldn't these problems been avoided by having a visa ot master card credit card?

I usually carry around 1000 cash when I travel and buy most things with cash except for hotels and tours as local merchants may do unauthorised transactions

And ive heard 28 degrees card is the best due to being fee free (I haven't got one aside got enough cards;)

Didn't your companions work out that they should just go to the next ATM in Canada, withdraw about $1000 once, and then use the cash?

Has anyone confirmed that cash out of the 28 degrees (with money you have put in yourself - therefore bringing the card in actual credit) is charged a fee?

Prior to the new fee being introduced, I would top up the 28 degrees card with my own money and withdraw funds as required. The fee doesn't specifically mention your own money.... so im hoping they overlooked that.

Visa Electron or Debit debit card is the way to go, no extra fees that many merchants charge for using a credit card. I save hundreds a year using Visa Electron instead of Visa Credit card. Airlines charge 8 Euro or more for using a credit card.

Didn't your companions work out that they should just go to the next ATM in Canada, withdraw about $1000 once, and then use the cash?

They said they tried the ATM and went to the counter and were refused cash twice in Victoria, Canada, they also tried in Juneau, Alaska but were refused again.

It all only came out while we were sitting around waiting for a coach on the second last day of the tour. They said they were going home to have a fight with the CBA and we asked why ?

Talking it over with my wife last night and she said they actually had over 50 transactions so at $3.50~ each that is $175 in fees plus $15 to buy the card plus 1.1% to load the card.

If we were regular OS travellers then it would be worth making better arrangements but for occassional jetsetters it would seem to me that cash advances are best

We used a travelex card when we went to the US 18 months ago and that was great. It worked exactly like a mastercard would here where you could use it as an eftpos card, CC, withdraw cash from the ATM etc with no fees and we had no issues. they?re security was quite good too as they called us when we were in NYC asking to confirm we were there as the previous day we were in Vegas.

AFAIK, they make their money on the way in, but depending on how much you load on the card initially they can waive the [I think] 1% purchase fee and give you a better exchange rate. We loaded $3k initially and got the card for free and bought USD for $1.03, when they were selling it for $1.01 at the time. They must work on commission. You can also load up to 5 currencies ? EUR, AUD, USD, GBP, NZ? I think..

Has anyone else used these cards recently? Have these been riddled with fees recently like the 28 degrees mastercard?

How bizarre.
When we were in Canada five years ago we went to the atm a couple of times and withdrew Canadian cash no problems. It was a travel card from Australia Post. I wouldn't bother using one again though.

My wife just came back from an Italy trip with her friends.
I loaded up a CBA TravelCard, and she said no problem what so ever.
Good thing is I can see online each transaction (OMG a Hermes cost that much :eek:) and can change the PIN number or disable the card anytime , saving the hassle to call the bank.

Has anyone confirmed that cash out of the 28 degrees (with money you have put in yourself - therefore bringing the card in actual credit) is charged a fee?

Prior to the new fee being introduced, I would top up the 28 degrees card with my own money and withdraw funds as required. The fee doesn't specifically mention your own money.... so im hoping they overlooked that.

Yes, it has changed and they do charge fee for overseas cash withdrawals.

I loaded up my own money before I went to Bali this Easter, I did few cash withdrawals and I saw bank fees for these withdrawal on the statement, so I rang them and they told me they have changed their policy at the start of this year. They did waive the charge but said it will be charged next time.

Yes, it has changed and they do charge fee for overseas cash withdrawals.

I loaded up my own money before I went to Bali this Easter, I did few cash withdrawals and I saw bank fees for these withdrawal on the statement, so I rang them and they told me they have changed their policy at the start of this year. They did waive the charge but said it will be charged next time.

Damn.... I was hoping it was an empty threat :(
Cheers for the confirmation.

Info isn't quiet correct. You don't get charge for each purchase, so the $5.50 coke is still $5.50. You get charged for cash withdrawals. Your travel companions should of been able to look at the transactions online to see this.

Very surprised that anyone would only travel with one source of cash, when I travel I have travel card, bank card, credit card and cash. 4 different ways to access cash in case one doesn't work. It's a foreign country couldn't think if not being able to access funds whilst traveling.

I wouldn't want to be cash advancing on a credit card, cash advance rate ouch...

Also wouldn't want to be maxing out a credit card just for travel.

I've used the CBA Travel Money card extensively through Canada, USA and China in the last few months and it has worked every single time I've wanted it. From Taxis to restaurants to ATMs. Never been a problem and a good addition to the CC when travelling.

I thought we had a thread on these but I can't find it so here we are.

I have just returned from a Canada/Alaska trip and thought I would let future travellers know about the restrictions on these as they are being pushed Very hard at all the banks.

These cards are praised as the best for available cash, daily expenses and shopping. After many enquiries and having to persist to get the answers that I needed, I decided not to get one.

Some people on the tour had decided they would get one so we have a very good comparison of each.

We all travelled on Air Canada, they will not accept a debit card for anything, only credit cards so travel card useless.

What is this CBA debit travel card that you are referring to?
The CBA travel money card that I have used is a credit card. You select credit when making transactions although you are using your own money that you load onto them.

Info isn't quiet correct. You don't get charge for each purchase, so the $5.50 coke is still $5.50. You get charged for cash withdrawals. Your travel companions should of been able to look at the transactions online to see this.

Very surprised that anyone would only travel with one source of cash, when I travel I have travel card, bank card, credit card and cash. 4 different ways to access cash in case one doesn't work. It's a foreign country couldn't think if not being able to access funds whilst traveling.

I wouldn't want to be cash advancing on a credit card, cash advance rate ouch...

Also wouldn't want to be maxing out a credit card just for travel.

I did what most people do with the 28 degrees card.
1. Apply for the card
2. Drop the credit limit to $500-$1000
3. Top up the card with your own money (takes 2 days with bpay)
4. Withdraw money from overseas ATM. No ATM fees, no transaction fee, nothing. The same rate you would find on XE on the same day (this was prior to 1 Jan 2014 - Teshy confirmed they charge now :( )

I think I'm going to open a Citibank Plus account now based on reading from online sources.

That said, i do think its foolish to cash advance from your CC using the banks money.

Back