Travel without a personal computer

I am traveling a bit with work currently and have been thinking whether I could manage without lugging a computer. There's nothing like the feeling of traveling light.....no check in luggage, minimal harm done if luggage lost or stolen.

The ideal would be to have browser based accessibility from most internet connected computers in a manner similar to a terminal server relationship.

Features I am thinking of are:

- has 2 levels of security....i.e. log in to a password protected part of the webspace from most internet connected computers in the world. There'd be two levels of security. The higher level would not be accessed from public computers and would store secure data.

- passwords might be dynamic, changing after a single use based on some algorithm known to me. i.e. number component increases by 33 and letter component regresses by 3 letters, after each use.

- others can log into a less secure zone with password.

- an editable blog and website from a browser without need for website editor software.

- allows storage and editing of xls (with Excel), pdf, basic image editing without the software apps being installed on local computer.

- has significant storage capacity, say 2-5 GB

- allows upload download of all files.

- email/webmail/calendar/data that can be reverse synchronized with my notebook so that edits via web or my notebook are retained.

- has antivirus and spyware features.

- backup features that allow me to download all content to my notebook or local backup solution and would allow me to transfer website, blog, and all files to another host.

- has server side backup solution that I can control remotely. for instance, I can restore files from server from 2 hours ago, yesterday or last month.

I can see that a terminal /server relationship with vpn would meet most of my needs, but I don't want to maintain an internet connected server. I don't want to be away from home when a power outage or hardware issue knocks it out. And I want to get around the hassles of vpn from public computers.

And yes, I recognise that operating my own client server is the better secure computing solution. However, I think enough people successfully run blogs when travelling now, and 95% of my computing use could get away without a high level of security.

Any thoughts on this topic appreciated.
Obviously what motivates me is
- the freedom to be able to travel without worrying about computer
hardware and trying to print using my laptop on others' printers.
- data and functionality is always accessible via the net, and locally on my notebook.
- all data is secure and backed up remotely.

There's not a lot you can't do without A) a gmail account and B) a 4GB+ memory stick

Depending on the complexity of your requirements, you can also largely get away with Google apps and other similar online document editors.

Get a wordpress.com blog account for your blog (or blogger etc), and use Google's huge online storage facilities to store other data online.

Biggest risk is keystroke loggers when using someone else's computer.

Depending on how critical security is to you. If you are doing business or accessing work related documents while on the road, I would still suggest an ultra-light notebook or even a UMPC with WiFi. You can get WiFi almost anywhere (I spent 6 weeks in South America and the only time I was offline was when I was on a boat).

Heck, even a PocketPC can do most things these days - get an external keyboard if you need faster data entry.

Simple is good.

using public computers for anything that requires a login can/is a bit risky.

what about an ASUS EEEPC, under 1kg , uses XP or Linux ... has wireless connectivity.

all for about $350 ....

it's the size of an jan somers book.

A couple of options....

1) IPOD: I have an 80gb IPOD (classic) with a suite of portable apps on it;
- Firefox (has all my bookmarks)
- Thunderbird (email)
- Pstart (pop up menu)
I can plug this into any PC and use my email/browser/skype

2) IPOD Touch: my wife has an IPOD touch, for basic web surfing the browser + wifi combo was good - I haven't tried it, but maybe www.logmein.com works on Safari browser to allow you to control your PC remotely via the touch.

3) EEE PC this was quite good, small enough for a handbag can decent enough for video-conference via Skype.

Regards
Michael

thx for input guys.

have heard the eee pc's solid state hdd are notoriously slow when trying to do anything significant, like backup. And am unsure how traditional partition imaging software works with them.

I have used memory sticks for a few years now, and have had a few nervous moments when they go missing. Having it all online would be the ideal.

Currently, I store many files via automated ftp upload to my isp disk space, then access them when away. However, more and more, I am thinking it would be better to have everything online as primary source and use the laptop as the secondary source.

Looked at Google apps some time ago and wasn't happy with their spreadsheet functionality.

Though it is probably time to revisit Google's offerings. I'd at least like to get a website cum blog, not so much for viewing by others, but for making notes for myself. Though I'd place a strong preference on being able to categorize stuff to find again later- bookmarks, snippets from websites, personal notes, etc. Many of the blogs I read seem to have poor searchability.

I have an ASUS EEEPC, the 700 series.

It is quite small but I only use it on holidays and when away because it's so easy to carry.

The internal solid state disk is quick, I have loaded XP on it (blown away all the other disk parttitions) and have MS Office on it as well.

It has a 16GB SD card in it (plus 1.5GB on the internal solid state disk) for storage and has a 2GB RAM chip in it.

The performance is good, for going away, browsing, email and some spreadsheet stuff when required.

I manage to do most of that stuff with my iPhone... except for heavily modifiing docs. More just checking/writing emails, online shopping/web surfing, music, online maps, etc. Super light. What I can't do with that I'll go to a net cafe with my 4Gb USB drive and all my portableapps.com suite.

As far as small PCs go... Asus seems cool. For a more full blown mini PC look at the Toshiba Portege. $$$ though. Dell has a 12" offering that's not bad.

Hard to figure a way around a keylogger when using someone elses puter.

I use a thumb drive with the a few portableapps/U3 as well. I've got a couple of open source SSH clients - Linux, windows and mac portable apps.

I also only run my SSH server at home ONLY when I know I will visit a client or consultants. Schedule through my router login when the SSH client will be available and can passthrough the router/firewall.

I do find that the lappy is bulky and I need a better 12v solution for MBP's.

Aaron

The other thing I was suss about re EEEs is the screen size. I mean like can you do anything serious on a spreadsheet with one? or browse websites.

David, can you say anymore about portableapps.com. will check it out tonight.

arrrgghhhh, the dynamic password thing would deal with keyloggers I think. though I don't even know if the technology exists for servers. does for garage remotes though :)

Hey Winston

When you get it sussed let me know :)

I drag around ......................

1. A moderate sized 14 inch notebook and 2 batts, enuff for 8 hrs usually
2. A HP portable battery powered printer
3. A Travelscan Scanner USB scanner for short trips, or a Canon dr 2080 for longer ones
4. A 150 w 12 v to 240 v invertor
5. An Efax subscription
6. Winfax software
7. A Vodafone wireless connection for international roaming
8. A telstra Next G wireless for local roaming

This kit allows one to send, receive, scan, fax and print on a park bench or a tent floor as long as you have a wireless connection ( often a slooow GPRS connection)

Now if I can get satellite UP and DOWN I can finally be released from the rest of the world and get on a boat to Fiji , since 2 x 80 watt solar panels will run all this kit

ta
rolf

Mr 'I solve problems'

You don't ask for much do ya.

I don't know if there is such a single killer app that has all the bells and whistles you want.

Every thing you want as you know already can be done on seperate apps: the website, blog, ftp, ssh, vpn tunnels, modifying excel spreadhsheets dynamically.....

I'd consider getting a hosting site - not at home with a VPN/secure frontend login to access your site and files. No need to worry about the power outages at home.

Is this site for your eyes only? or will other users share the site?

Rolf, do you check any luggage when flying away for up to 4 nights? printer scanner notebook invertors batteries adaptor !!! :(

Arrgghhhhh.....yeah the best solution I imagine currently is leasing space on a server/host and connecting via secure shell or vpn.

I can see in the future a eee type pc might do the trick if it was nothing much more than a dumb ssh terminal with a slot for personal stick, light as a feather, indestructible, had Rolf's satellite connectivity built in, a few usb ports, firewire, etc, then we'd be getting somewhere. There'd be no way to store viruses on it so such a terminal could be shared publicly, installed in hotel rooms, etc, and its battery life would be stunning cos its resource use would be minimal. Could be nothing more than A4 folder in size.

I remember back in the early 90s, my first lappy was a Toshiba 2600 286 with 20MB hdd. I dialled into Uni of Qld server and shelled to their unix server. Pine for email, lynx to browse..... was pretty handy.......software and hardware problems were non existent, except for modem flakiness.

OK, have d/l'ed portableapps and first impressions are VERY IMPRESSIVE.
will try on a few remote puters tomorrow......thx David for recommending. Didn't know such a beast existed. Am copying my docs, firefox settings, and setting up email right now. Am using a spare 40GB notebook hdd in a usb2 caddy to run it on.

Winston

I'm not sure if I'm reading your title correctly or not.

My reading is "naked philosopher". (I've now confirmed that by Babelfish. That must be as authorotative as ir\t gets :) )

If that's correct, why the high tech?

Winston

I'm not sure if I'm reading your title correctly or not.

My reading is "naked philosopher". (I've now confirmed that by Babelfish. That must be as authorotative as ir\t gets :) )

If that's correct, why the high tech?

The less gear I have to carry Geoff, the more naked I am. :)

Last edited:
continuing thoughts on portableapps.com

this is a great concept. I've tested it on several other puters today and it does exactly what it is supposed to flawlessly.........

but needs further development, such as:

- when you plug in your removable storage, a complete desktop interface comes up, with its own toolbars, tray, and quicklaunch.

- folder and program shortcuts can be edited into a hierarchical structure.

- for this concept to really get going, it would be good if notebooks had a recessed slot for the storage stick. This way, it won't be getting in the way when you are using a notebook remotely. however, a disadvantage is that you are more likely to leave the stick behind.

- would be good if microsoft came to the party and allowed their office apps to be mobile. openoffice still doesn't cut it on complex xls.

- reverse synching would also be a big bonus.

- email is a pain in the bum cos every time you change computers, you have to change the smtp settings to match the isp connection so you can send email.

google's offerings.
their free docs storage is lame.....period.
they have too low size limitations on the files that can be uploaded.
they don't allow uploading of zip files.
file transfer isn't that fast.
it doesn't seem to have changed much since I last tested it.

evolving thoughts and brainstorming :)

even though portableapps is a brilliant concept, I think its inherent risk is people are still inclined to lose storage sticks by inadvertently leaving them in computers, or they just won't carry them at all times. However, I think if a storage stick was redesigned like a credit card that could be easily carried in a wallet, then that'd be a bonus.

Now......off on a tangent, some time in the future, I can imagine a microchip with a couple of thousand gigs will be insertable under the skin and will connect via wireless to computers at incredible bandwidth. fancy that.....your desktop and storage safely tucked away under your skin. finances, business data, mp3's, favourite movies, all sitting there under your skin in a chip no bigger than a few pinheads. gee, they could even build a gps into it and your mobile phone address book, calendar, etc.

things would really start getting freaky if they ever miniaturize a video camera with audio, and implant it in your ear lobe or chin

the more they miniaturize this stuff, the more they'll be able to use your body's movement to recharge a small battery to power the stuff.

hang on, I am on a roll here. so get this.....why stop there.....can you imagine when a wireless connected computer is as small as a 10cent piece and can be implanted under your skin and run off a battery recharged by the your body heat or movement.....whack a micro speaker in your ear, with the video camera in your ear lobe (complete with mic).

then you could walk down the street and ask the puter directions to the bank, who's offering the best deals on airfares when at the airport, gee, it could even replace the mobile phone.... you could go on quiz shows and clean up, listen to your favourite radio station or podcasts, motivational mp3s sitting in the train or car, get the computer to fetch the sales history on a property and read it out to you, go to a nightclub and access the face book entries of others in the bar publicizing their profile from their implanted puter. to get video feedback you could just stand near a lcd screen and keyboard that accepted a wireless transmission from your mini onboard puter. same for a printing stuff. stand near a wireless connected printer and off you go.

how freaky is that. people could be sitting in the park talking to their puter, making phone calls without any visible device.

Meanwhile back in 2008, I still think a client server setup would be better, as long as the bandwidth was significant.

WW, there are plenty like that around. A couple that I have played with a yr ago:
www.damnsmalllinux.org/
www.puppylinux.com

They can be setup so they are bootable or loadable within a windows system.

When it comes down to it though, I don't really need them. Work from home and don't travel enough atm to justify anything other than a plain desktop really.

continuing thoughts on portableapps.com

this is a great concept. I've tested it on several other puters today and it does exactly what it is supposed to flawlessly.........

but needs further development, such as:

- when you plug in your removable storage, a complete desktop interface comes up, with its own toolbars, tray, and quicklaunch.

What's wrong with the underlying GUI? Filefinder or Windows Explorer will recognise the thumbdrive as a mapped drive and everything would be point and click from then on. Use the command line /shell if you must.

- folder and program shortcuts can be edited into a hierarchical structure.

A few vendors already do this functionality. U3 provide a launchpad platform for portable-apps. My thumbstick was preloaded with the U3 platform with folder and program structures and a few apps. U3 have license deals with a few thumb stick manufacturers. Crusar, Sandisk etc.

- email is a pain in the bum cos every time you change computers, you have to change the smtp settings to match the isp connection so you can send email.
Agreed

google's offerings.
their free docs storage is lame.....period.
they have too low size limitations on the files that can be uploaded.
they don't allow uploading of zip files.
file transfer isn't that fast.
it doesn't seem to have changed much since I last tested it.
I use the XP hack that ‘almostbob’ provided I think to use gmail as a mapped drive. WW you should come back to the fold. Leave linux and come back to the real world. Windows.

evolving thoughts and brainstorming :)

Now......off on a tangent, some time in the future, I can imagine a microchip with a couple of thousand gigs will be insertable under the skin and will connect via wireless to computers at incredible bandwidth. fancy that.....your desktop and storage safely tucked away under your skin. finances, business data, mp3's, favourite movies, all sitting there under your skin in a chip no bigger than a few pinheads. gee, they could even build a gps into it and your mobile phone address book, calendar, etc.

Imagine the heat that litle chip would generate. You’d have to incorporate the way the body cools down into the cooling design somehow. Perhaps using the bodys’s skin surface area to create evaporative cooling that the chip could benefit from /use. *Don;t ask me how, If I knew a way I wouldn't be on the forum* ;) Or maybe the answer is not concentrate everything in one chip but to spread the load over perhaps several less powerfull chips in different parts of the body. All multi tasking and with the ability to connect remotely in a ‘grid computing’ format with other other and even different people.

things would really start getting freaky if they ever miniaturize a video camera with audio, and implant it in your ear lobe or chin

Eventually I see a chip interfacing with the brain and feeding all the senses. Imagine if you caught a 'virus' and you local GP asked which type - biological or software???? Did you forget to upload the latest 2.0.2 patch?????

Last edited:
arrrghhh, I'd prefer a complete desktop interface cos then I wouldn't mistakenly use non portableapp progs, and I could also make shortcuts and a menu to commonly used files scattered in different folders.

where's that gmail hack?

am not using linux anymore Arggh. messed with ubuntu a few months ago, but it fell over on wireless networking and fonts and printers. Might be ok for some pimply faced live at home teenager to mess around for 4 weeks trying to get it to do what Windows does out of the box, but not me.

The microchip woudln't generate much heat if the circuits were extremely small. ANyways, the body would automatically shunt more blood to the chip to carry the heat away, just as it does when you put your laptop on your lap....and over time, the body would build a denser capillary network around the chip for same, just as tropical people have denser subcutaneous capillary networks to allow core heat to be brought to the skin surface.

Re computers interacting with the brain, I studied and worked in neuroscience years ago, and think it will be at least 300 years of peaceful opulent human existence before machines can interact meaningfully with the brain. The brain is the most complex organ in the known universe, and has scarey amounts of redundancy and plasticity. Electronics will have to cross over to being organic before I reckon they'll interact.

Nevertheless, I've talked personally with Graeme Clark (co-inventor of the cochlear implant) and even he didn't think the implant would be as successful and quick in development as it was. Apparently there's similar transduction devices under development for the blind, though sight is exponentially more information rich than hearing. And robotic prostheses are improving.

just messed with the gmail hack.
pity you can't map a drive letter to it. cos that'd allow you to run a batch file to auto backup critical files.

plus seems you need to setup a second gmail account for storing files, cos all files copied to gmail come back at you as emails if gmail is your main account.

Back