Travel

So come January, Im off to Moscow, Sakhalin and then into Japan.

I remember someone previously mentioning Sakhalin as a great place to visit. Not sure, but will find out soon enough.

Also Japan - Im off to Nisseko for some Skiing - though I think what I do is more accuratly described as "falling down a snow covered mountain" but I guess thats not as easy to say.

I havent been to Japan before - anyone who has got any tips for me?

Blacky

Where are you staying in Niseko? Went there again last year (Japan obviously, but Niseko specificallyl). I love Japan.

Are you only going to Niseko, or elsewhere as well (not really counting layovers enroute)...?

Hi Blacky,

I have only been to Japan in the Spring season not Winter.
Spent 3 weeks, on a "self guided" tour.

Im not sure if your Travelling all over Japan or Staying in one spot.
Also not sure what your interests are etc.
But happy to share some thoughts.

I highly recommend, Takayama, Nagasaki, Kyoto, Osaka.

Also if your planning to do a bit of sightseeing, dont forget to get your JR pass, this allows you to use all Japan Rail including the Shinkasen (Bullet Train), this is a great way to get around Japan.

http://www.japantravel.com.au/List-Rail-Passes.asp

Also try to stay at a traditonal Ryokan (Japanese Inn/Hot Springs) for the Experience.

I had trouble though staying at some traditonal places as I have full sleeve tattoo's and some people are still offended by them, Which I can understand.

If you enjoy your Japanese food and willing to Travel around Japan is great Place. Any questions just PM me.

Cheers,
Wirra :)

I can't believe I didn't see this thread.

In the scary way that Perth is small Blacky will be in Japan at the same time as me - even if he doesn't call himself a Perthite anymore.

We are borrowing his snowboarding gear which does reside in Perth. I love my SS mates ;)

We are visiting Sapporo and Niseko - mainly for the skiing. While there will do a bit of touring in the area - but not doing a full on trip through the country. That can come another time. So mostly just staying in the one spot.
There is just so much to see.

It is quite amazing that in an uplanned series of events WM and I will be in the same area (within a few '00 kms of each other) of Japan at the same time.

We booked pretty late, so getting 14nights in Niseko in the one hotel was impossible. So we have to move 3 times.

I will be trying the local spa's, there is a beer museum in Sapporo, I want to go white water rafting and also do the sledding. Other than that it will be trying to fall down a mountain with grace and style. Neither of which I am well known for :rolleyes:

2 more days of work - the 5 weeks off... cant wait

Blacky

I shall be falling down with NO style too. Last time I ski-ed I was 16 and that was for 3 days in the Italian alps.

We fly in to Osaka on the 1st Jan and will do Osaka until the 9th - inc a day trip to Kyoto. On the 9th we fly to Sapporo then onto Sahoro skiing/falling/snowboarding until the 16th.

I would recommend you change money outside of Japan. The exchange rates in Japan are terrible. I take cash to Thailand and change it into Baht there and then into Yen and get better rates. You would lose about 10% by exchanging in Japan.

I would recommend you change money outside of Japan. The exchange rates in Japan are terrible. I take cash to Thailand and change it into Baht there and then into Yen and get better rates. You would lose about 10% by exchanging in Japan.

Thanks for the reminder Terry. I need to put some yen onto my travel card.

Also don't take Heat packs across the border.
We were told they would be fine, only to have them taken off us.
They are sold everywhere in Japan.
7-11's also have international ATM's in Japan, this is another way to get emergency cash, and it is quite a cash society.

Also don't take Heat packs across the border.
We were told they would be fine, only to have them taken off us.
They are sold everywhere in Japan.
7-11's also have international ATM's in Japan, this is another way to get emergency cash, and it is quite a cash society.

Like the hand warmer thingies? I have about 20 of them :(

Like the hand warmer thingies? I have about 20 of them :(

Yep, those are the ones, you may get lucky.
We had them in hand luggage as reading on the net 50% said keep in hand luggage, as they will open your bags.
We got through 1 scanner, second lady I recon was new and checking everything.
You've got them, you may as well take them and try, but they sell them everywhere over there( just don't buy from skii stores, stick to discount stores as they are heaps cheaper)
Oh and the vending machines sell hot drinks, so they will be your friend.

Off to the airport this afternoon. Woohoooo!!

Reality amid the woohoo is "is it time to go? How long until we go? When do we go to Japan? Is it time to go to the airport? What time do we leave? I'm hungry! Is it time now?"

Having a thoroughly good time.

Flights were good and when we took off from KL it was midnight NYE and there were fireworks everywhere!!

Our first day was a bit rough with everyone being tired and everything being shut as it was New Year's Day holiday. We managed to find lunch and dinner and wander around. We are at Swissotel Osaka and it's the perfect location for exploring Osaka by foot.

After a massive breakfast at hotel buffet this morning we explored Dontonburi on foot. We plan to go back at night and enjoy the epileptic fit inducing light shows :cool:

Back