traveling on OPM :)

I have just now (again) decided that I do actually like my boss:) As i type this from my hotel on Sunset Blvd, Hollywood.

I am here for a conference and trade show in Anaheim with our sales manager. (So of course we have taken photos of stores in our industry to make it all deductable "learning" mission :cool:)
3 nights LA.......5 nights Anaheim (4 days of actual WORK)...then 2 nights in San Fran on the way home.

It has been 6 years since i was here last (same trade show) and I can certainly see the difference. Hollywood is much more "discount" than in was in 2004. I bought t-shirts 3 for 8.99 today that cost be $10 EACH last time.

Strangely though ...I remember more homeless people last time than now??? I wonder were there are hiding them???

I rang my son before I left and he was on HIS first business trip :) So we have decided that work CAN be a good thing when you get "free" holidays :)

Have a great time!
I do around 5-7 overseas business trips on OPM. Last year, I went to Germany 4 x, UK 1x, China 2x, Thailand 1x, HK 1x, Macau 1x, Korea 2x, Sweden 2x (that wasn't for business). (obviously some trips were combined)
So far this year, it doesn't look like it will be quite so many Europe trips. But I've been to Japan, Macau and HK already, and will go to Korea and China in March.
I do enjoy travelling, but it gets more and more tiring the more I do, and takes me longer to recover each time.
I'm very fortunate that our company still travels in business class for long hauls... I know many companies who have switched back to economy, and to be honest, I wouldn't accept a job with significant travel if I had to go in economy. Its just too draining.
We're going to Canada as a family at Christmas, and I don't know how I will manage the economy flight! I'm definitely a snob now when it comes to travelling!

Pen

oh, the other fantastic opportunity we had was that we spent 2 months in Germany a few years ago at Christmas time. I was asked to go and assist the Product management team, and said I couldnt' unless they paid for the whole family to go... which they agreed to (economy). All our expenses were paid for the 2 months, as well as regular salary. My husband also worked for his company while we were there. So, we had 2 months in Europe, and came back with several $1000 in our pocket, because we weren't spending any of our pay.
Absolutely fantastic experience for the whole family. That was definitely worth the economy seats!
Pen

Have a great time!
I do around 5-7 overseas business trips on OPM. Last year, I went to Germany 4 x, UK 1x, China 2x, Thailand 1x, HK 1x, Macau 1x, Korea 2x, Sweden 2x (that wasn't for business). (obviously some trips were combined)
So far this year, it doesn't look like it will be quite so many Europe trips. But I've been to Japan, Macau and HK already, and will go to Korea and China in March.
I do enjoy travelling, but it gets more and more tiring the more I do, and takes me longer to recover each time.
I'm very fortunate that our company still travels in business class for long hauls... I know many companies who have switched back to economy, and to be honest, I wouldn't accept a job with significant travel if I had to go in economy. Its just too draining.
We're going to Canada as a family at Christmas, and I don't know how I will manage the economy flight! I'm definitely a snob now when it comes to travelling!

Pen

Don't you find that lots of travel starts losing it's gloss after a while - as glamorous as it can sound? Or do you think it's the type of travel? Maybe personal circumstances has an influence?

While the last year has been quieter (only Thailand, Guam and US), I was used to regularly travelling interstate, 2-3 weeks of the month. Even being home at weekends, I started getting sick of it.

Maybe being married with 2 kids, or travelling to places like Walgett, Port Augusta, Charleville and Bunbury makes travel less appealing than going to Europe with few ties at home? :)

Don't worry about what the others are up to Casserole Dish.Comparisons may often lead to dissatisfaction.

And there is nothing wrong with being a housewife- its the most important job in the family in my view- and I'm the husband.

I intend to travel with family in the next two years and it will be on my money and my terms.

Just focus on your plan.

oh Casserole...don't fret. This trip is my last hurrah :) my "öut of the rat race" part 1 is at the end of the financial year".

Then I will happily be a (semi) housewife just looking after hubby's business. He thinks I do a lot but really it is only about 15-20 hours a week for his biz :rolleyes:

Actually I am looking forward to not having to get up at a fixed time every morning. Come on July :)

Meanwhile .....am having a great time...Anaheim now for the next 5 nights. (think we can cram in a disneyland day of shopping :)

Cheers

My next work trip is in 10 days. Paris, London, Toronto, Los Angeles, Austin. Hubby also going and his trip is longer and includes New York and Tokyo. (We work together sometimes). Would I prefer to be at home? Yes.

We originally booked flights to go to Paris two days ahead of schedule for a short break together before work begins but something came up and I have to go to Sydney now instead. :(

My next work trip is in 10 days. Paris, London, Toronto, Los Angeles, Austin. Hubby also going and his trip is longer and includes New York and Tokyo. (We work together sometimes). Would I prefer to be at home? Yes.

We originally booked flights to go to Paris two days ahead of schedule for a short break together before work begins but something came up and I have to go to Sydney now instead. :(

Oh that is a TIGHT schedule :) No that is not a good trip ...I like to have a bit of rest and sight seeing in there as well as work

Don't you find that lots of travel starts losing it's gloss after a while - as glamorous as it can sound? Or do you think it's the type of travel? Maybe personal circumstances has an influence?

I definitely agree with this. After spending the past year on 'planes, trains & automobiles' I was well and truly over the novelty after only 1 year of it!

After having spent about 4-5 months 'on the road' in an 11 month period (most of which was in Australia), I don't want to travel without the family anymore. I acknowledge that my travel is far less than most 'travelling businessmen' but it is enough to say 'enough!'.

My highlight of the year was a trip to Canada, which is an absolutely awesome country. I just wish I was there for pleasure instead of business. :(

Personal circumstances play a big part, for sure. If I was single, I think I might enjoy the hectic lifestyle a bit more, but for now, I am home with the family..... right where I want to be ;)

My next trip abroad isn't until June (for now), but this time it is with the whole family and we are staying a little longer..... a few years actually :D

I did have the opportunity to take the family to Townsville for a while on one of my rare extended (more than 3-4 days) trips. That was actually FUN!

But with school becoming more important and flights relatively expensive, it's hard to justify taking them for such a short time. eg. Next week is Brissy, Townsville and Darwin, with 3 client visits. Home by Friday! Not much time for sight-seeing or worthwhile taking anyone.

Oh that is a TIGHT schedule :) No that is not a good trip ...I like to have a bit of rest and sight seeing in there as well as work How long are you going for??

20 days in total including travel days. 4 days in Paris, 2 in London, 2 in Toronto, 2 in LA and 4 in Austin - the rest are travel days. Rather crap really and definitely not a good trip. Flying Cathay to Paris which will be interesting since I normally go Qantas.

Ach, I'm just having one of those days... I've actually had time to think about this (earlier while doing the dishes ;)) and I have been to a few places myself over the years.

May you all travel safely and enjoy yourselves.

While the last year has been quieter (only Thailand, Guam and US), I was used to regularly travelling interstate, 2-3 weeks of the month. Even being home at weekends, I started getting sick of it.

Maybe being married with 2 kids, or travelling to places like Walgett, Port Augusta, Charleville and Bunbury makes travel less appealing than going to Europe with few ties at home? :)

It definitely loses its gloss...... for me, travelling on a plane is almost equivalent to getting on a bus! When I travel in Australia, sometimes I land at the airport, and it takes me a while to work out where I am, and why I'm there! I'm also married with 2 kids, and it does cause quite a strain, although my husband is very good at managing the household while I'm gone. We had an aupair when my oldest was in primary school, which was fantastic.

The worst part of it is that I don't want to travel for pleasure anymore! I'm sure the desire will come back.... hopefully soon, since we are going to Canada at Christmas time!

I rarely do sightseeing when I'm travelling. Usually, if I've got a weekend away, I need sleep, and silence...... so I often stay in my room and recover.

But I do still enjoy it for the most part while I'm away..... so not quite ready to give it up yet!

Pen

man Penny! what the heck do you do????? and can I have your job????:eek:

I'm a Business Development Director for a medical devices company... with Asia Pacific as my territory. But the company is German, so I go there regularly.

I honestly don't think you'd want it!! It sounds much more glamorous and exciting than it really is!

Pen

Humpf... :(

I shouldn't have read this thread. I'm feeling like a lonely housewife even more now.

As the others said, no point comparing.
I tried being a housewife, and wasn't very good at it. I'm in awe of people who can find joy in that. I ran my own business for quite a long time, and I enjoyed it, but not the financial stress. This job was "made for me", but it is a challenge, particularly in managing the family.

But if you are really lonely, then you also need to consider changing something in what you are doing..... take up some sport, or get involved in community groups etc. Being a housewife can be soul destroying if you let it.
What do/ would you like to do?

Pen

20 days in total including travel days. 4 days in Paris, 2 in London, 2 in Toronto, 2 in LA and 4 in Austin - the rest are travel days. Rather crap really and definitely not a good trip. Flying Cathay to Paris which will be interesting since I normally go Qantas.

That is an awful schedule!! I'm much better now at planning and making sure I only go to a couple of places when I'm away, and try to stay for as long as possible in each. I had packing and repacking and changing hotels. Do you have any rest days apart from travel days? I hope so... otherwise make sure you plan a few recovery days when you return.

Are you flying business or economy? I think you'll enjoy Cathay. Not sure about the economy seats, but I avoid Qantas for long haul flights, because the service is so poor, even in business class, and the cabins are really cramped. (although cathay tried to bump me off my business class flight coming home, so I wasn't impresssed with their service either)
In business from Australia, Cathay have fully flat seats in business. But some of their "regional" flights, like to Japan, the seats are poor.

Pen

I quit my last job because of their international travel expectations. While the kids are young it's just terrible. All planes and hotels look the same and it's not pretty.

I much prefer playing with my kids...