Travelling alone

Travelbug
Just got off the plane yesterday from 3 weeks in Europe.. it was COLD dude... and gonna get colder.

Another crowd to consider is Bunnik Tours, Ive not travelled with them personally, but I've had a few of their brochures, they pitch themselves as "not too young and not too old" basically a halfway point between contiki and Trafalgar, and the itineraries look very good, and can be done on a land only basis, as i know you get hubby's companion fares.... Maybe worth a bo peep.

Thanks everyone. I've been kept busy on the net for hours.

Went to book one China tour and it wouldn't let me book so I rang today but the 20% off disappeared.
It was then suggested that the basix trips (with Intrepid) might be TOO basic so I booked an original one just now.

Essence of China Northbound. 21days. Leaves Jan 3rd (20% off- yeehah).

Now I just have to get my VISA, organise flights and work out how to keep warm.

Exciting.

I have spent some time in Eastern Europe over Christmas in recent years, nice if you haven't experienced it before but perhaps not for too long, stops being much fun once it goes below -30. It's the weather that stopped Napoleon and Hitler, you will soon understand why when you experience it :)

The Baltics are a wonderful little destination I think, compact, inexpensive and great food, though summer is the best time.

I was glad to have stopped in Dubai on the way back from Europe this time just to check the place out, love or hate it kind of place perhaps.

My number 1 place to visit is the US, having never been there before. Need a good reason to visit, perhaps a property shopping expedition? :)

OMG I'm going to die

I just looked up the weather.

Hong Kong 11-16C. OK I can live with that. I don't like single digit temperatures.

THEN I checked Beijing -1 to -15:eek::eek:
AND with a windchill factor of -21 (yes - means MINUS):eek:

I'll be dreaming of Bali beaches every night. :D

congratulations....i;m excited for u.
i hear u can buy adventure gear like northface, columbia brands (copies not originals) in china for very cheap....they should keep u warm.

i got some north face gortex jackets in nepal previously and they work well at a fraction of the cost in aus.

Hey Travelbug

I was about to reccommend China and after reading the thread it looks like that's the place you've chosen. I backpacked from Shanghai down south to Hong Kong, accross to Guilin and then Kuming/Liajiang/Dali and up north to Xian and eventually Beijing (there were lots of other places in between).

All up, it was an amazing two months. I travelled both alone, with a mate and with a group (despite my uni-sex name I'm actually a guy so I can't comment from a single girls perspective). I found the place to be amazing - scenery, food, culture and people (most of the time).

I don't think a single female would have any dramas in China. It's becoming increasing popular so if you're staying in hostels (which there a plenty of good qaulity ones) you'll meet plenty of interesting people.

Have fun!

Jamie

Well I'm in Hong Kong. 18 degrees today. I'm the only one in Hong kong with short sleeves. EVERYONE has jackets and jumpers on.

I've been on the go all day. I love this place.

I found out that wherever you go you end up at a shopping centre. :D

I've been good though. Only bought a few things.

Running around again tomorrow. 2 days is not enough. I'll have to come back.
Tour meets tomorrow night then heading north (to the cold):eek:

Thanks for the suggestions everone.

travelbug,

Have fun in China. HK is not a bad place but nothing on China. If I had seen this post earlier I would have recommended a 3 way country trip taking in China, Japan and Korea. Contrary to what most people think Japan is a rather cheap place to travel if you know how. Also our place is always open for visitors to drop by and stay a few days.

I just learnt an important lesson today.. whenever getting money out from an atm overseas, use an atm attached to it's respective bank or even better, inside the bank. So if your card gets swallowed by the machine, it can be retrieved.. unlike mine which is now gone forever..
Lucky I have a backup card :cool:

Happy New 2010 to everyone on this great site

Great thread - hope you have a enjoyable time and have a safe trip.

Where I can, I travel solo otherwise have joined group tours ...

http://www.singlestravel.com.au/
http://www.50plusexpeditions.com/
http://www.imaginative-traveller.com/

I travelled twice with imaginative traveller - one a 21 day trip from Beijing to Kashgar on the Old Silk Road (some challenging moments)and a 2 week trip to Japan - beautiful country and awesome people. Will visit Japan again.

Both tour leaders were Australian and about half of the group were Australian.
Did not pay the solo supplement as I was matched with another solo traveller which was okay by me.

Hi Y33

Late Oct/Nov - did Tokyo, Takayama, Kyoto, Nara, Hemeji Castle, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Miyajima Island, Osaka, Yokohama, Nagano and back to Toyko.
The Shinkasen was a blessing and I walk many miles ...Will try and see the north next trip...
Stay warm or are u in sunny Okinawa?

Pelican, not a bad trip. The Shinkansen makes it very easy to get around. I hope that wasn't the order you did it in? Have done most of those places a few times especially Himeji. Have to get the right tide if you want good photos.

Greatpig, some of the places aren't too far apart so easy to cover in a few hours. The trip to Nagasaki would be the furthest but still only a few hours maybe 4 from Hiroshima.

Yeah, I've been to all those places too, except Nagano, but that's 11 places in about 14 days, including the three largest cities plus Kyoto. Doesn't really matter how long the train trips are (but Tokyo to Takayama is at least 4.5 hours, which is longer than Hiroshima to Nagasaki), it's not what I would call a leisurely pace.

Covers some good spots though. Not so sure about the attaction of Yokohama, other than the Chinatown there (or Nagano since I haven't been there), but the rest are good.

Why do you say you hope he didn't do it in that order? Seems like a reasonable order to me.

GP

Hi GP, don't think it came out exactly the way I meant it. I normally find it easier to travel to the furthest destination first, especially using the shinkansen and then make your way back from there. Osaka to Yokohama then back to Nagano and then Tokyo just seems a little to much back wards and forwards. Then again I'm the type that gets in a car and drives for 22 hours to Tokyo from Kyushu on national roads not using the expressway.

Back