Travelling alone

Hi. Anyone travel alone?

Hubby doesn't get as many holidays as me and never in January.
I have 5 weeks off.
I usually go to Bali as it's easy for me. Jump on a plane and I can find accom and lay on the beach.

But there are so many places I want to see.

I've not been to a lot of places alone (only Vietnam and Bali really).

I was looking at Europe but it's too cold in January.
Any ideas of where I can go?

Airfares are not a problem I can fly anywhere. I'd stay in hostels. I'm interested in photography, architecture, culture, mixing with locals. Not really interested in just laying on the beach (I can do that in Bali).

I looked at tours but the single sup is a killer. I'd prefer to fly to a city and spend a week, maybe move to one other spot. Not too much moving around.

I'd love to here from someone who has been to places with some insight into how easy it is to get there from the airport alone etc.

i've travelled solo to europe, argentina and asia and have had no problems. Travelling with a tour is good because you have company for most of the time but are restricted in following their itinery. Travelling alone you can do as you please but it can be lonely at times. i usually stay in youth hostels, which is a great way to meet other travellers and also cheap.
europe and japan are great because safe and good transport links to get around, though will be cold in january,

good luck.

If you are 35 or under Contiki and the like don'e have single sups.

I've backpached Malaysia and Thailand alone and had a great time. But that was quite a few years ago now.

Hi. Anyone travel alone.
Hi Travelbug, I've spent a few years travelling os.. next weekend heading to eastern Europe, Russia & India - some of it solo.. can't wait :D
I was looking at Europe but it's too cold in January.
Any ideas of where I can go?
Hmm.. if the cold is a problem that cuts out most of the northern hemisphere. Although the mediteranean would still be quite nice.. Have you been to Croatia? or further around to Turkey? very rewarding places..

Or southern hemisphere - South America? Not so big on architecture, but your camera will get a workout.. I don't think solo travel even for a female is too big a concern. Flying would definitely help as the bus trips take for ever..

I'd love to here from someone who has been to places with some insight into how easy it is to get there from the airport alone etc.
If you know of any specific places - I'd be happy to give tips if I've been there.. As far as transport/taxi travel goes, make sure it is a registered taxi with logo, light etc.. getting into a fake taxi is where things go sour.

If you are 35 or under Contiki and the like don'e have single sups.

I've backpached Malaysia and Thailand alone and had a great time. But that was quite a few years ago now.

Haha. I wish.:D

Just nudged 50.

Hi Travelbug, I've spent a few years travelling os.. next weekend heading to eastern Europe, Russia & India - some of it solo.. can't wait :D .

Lucky you. How long will you be away? Do you plan everything before you go? Need a travel buddy?:D

if the cold is a problem that cuts out most of the northern hemisphere. Although the mediteranean would still be quite nice.. Have you been to Croatia? or further around to Turkey? very rewarding places.. .

It's not really a problem I guess. I was looking at Prague and it said it's VERY cold. That's a bit scary. I should stop letting that stop me though as it's the time of the year when I can get 5 weeks. No other time can I do that without taking LSL. I do have thermal gear I just thought traveling alone it might be difficult carrying winter stuff. I'm not a fashion plate so I suppose really it's not an issue. Haven't even thought of Croatia but will look into it. I LOVED Turkey. Actually I wouldn't mind spending more time there. Loved Istanbul and the people.

If you know of any specific places - I'd be happy to give tips if I've been there..

I'm at a loss really. I went to Vietnam last year (well ran away actually) had a nightmare parent (I'm a teacher) and needed to chill out. It was my first time traveling alone (except Bali which doesn't count as I know loads of people there). I loved it. Still lots more to see there as it wasn't long enough.

Eyespy. Thanks. I guess I'm over the worrying about traveling alone (mostly) but just not sure of the logistics of it. Do you normally book everything?
Do you do loads of research or just turn up?
This is why I just keep going back to Bali. It's easy. I need to get out of my comfort zone because I am missing out on so much.

Thanks everyone. Searching the net now.

We went to Philippines last year and it was a great time. It's very relaxed once you get out of Manila and head to one of the other islands. It's very beautiful with amazing sunsets, beaches and the people are friendly and peaceful. It's also very cheap and you can have a 3 course seafood meal including lobster, marlin, tuna etc with tropical fruits for around $3 - $5 AU or 200 - 300 pesos.

The majority of my OS trips have been solo and I would have to say have been my best adventures.

I found travelling solo encourages more people to talk to you, and also encourages you to meet more people. As long as you are vigilant (especially for females) and keep your senses sharpened, it can be a wonderful experience. If you are the shy retiring type and don't like to do things on your own, or need your hand held and need help reading maps, then it is probably not for you.

Do you like walking type out of the way, very interesting tours (I can recommend Morroco), or a place with loads of people watching, wonderful shopping, fascinating finds street roaming and interesting things to see and do(Barcelona).

What part of the world is calling you, and what type of adventure do you want??

Sunshine

Took too long to post previous, and since some others have come in.

Travel bug, Turkey is fabulous. Why not go back there. You could do Turkey, Spain and Portugal for something interesting. Loved Spain too, haven't been to Portugal but am told very interesting too. Mexico is worth a look, as is everywhere else!

Gosh the picking would be the hardest, how long do you want to go for.

I used to book my airfare and my first night's accommodation. Then just wing it, on what ever urge I got. Gosh I am a bit envious of you. Brings back some wonderful memories and the joyous feeling of freedom, doing what you want, whenever you want, relying on yourself only!

Good luck with the decision making.

Hey just thought of one way to decide - where is the cheapest flight to?

Sunshine

Here in Canada, our "spring breaks" are Cuba, Jamaica, Barbados,Bermuda and Mexico.
Most of these have "all inclusive" and offer tours away from the resort.
I haven't had the pleasure yet, but my daughter has and really loved Cuba.

i personally book a few nights accommodation and some internal flights so i have the security of knowing where i am sleeping and going. If it is low season, then you probably dont really need ot book ahead.

maybe you should consider travelling with intrepid tours. i've travelled with them and it is mixed ages, small groups and their itineries are not too fast paced . If you;re happy to share with another female then they won't charge you the single supplement.

Hi Travelbug, I've spent a few years travelling os.. next weekend heading to eastern Europe, Russia & India - some of it solo.. can't wait :D

with a group and interpreter or by yourself?

not many people in ex-USSR countries speak english, so might be interesting experience :D

I love to travel alone, but my wife is the opposite and can't understand why I would want to, so we compromise and will do a trip together so I can go around Oz on a motor bike solo

maybe you should consider travelling with intrepid tours. i've travelled with them and it is mixed ages, small groups and their itineries are not too fast paced . If you;re happy to share with another female then they won't charge you the single supplement.

Well thanks for that. My neck is aching as I've been on their site for 2 hrs.:eek:

I have lots of tours written down. That'll keep me busy until 2011. They look great. Lots of Jan ones booked out but I'm liking the Cambodia Basix. That suits me with flights. Have to come home via Darwin but I can go out to Lichfield Nat park while I'm there. Been meaning to do that. Only negative is the heat. I travel standby so can't have too many connections otherwise I stress out. And I don't really have time to do lots of research for the other places but I will look into them.

Are you serious? I would have picked you as being in the sub 40 bracket.

Tell me why you aren't married again. You charmer. :D:D:D

I love to travel alone, but my wife is the opposite and can't understand why I would want to, so we compromise and will do a trip together so I can go around Oz on a motor bike solo

Don't talk to me about motorbikes. They are the reason I have to travel alone in April too. My hubby used all his holidays going to KL for the motoGP AND riding to Tassie with his mates. :(

Sunshine- thanks for you posts. I'd love to go back to Turkey. I've been to Spain but haven't seen much. I want to go back to see more. I did a day trip to Morocco from Spain which was awful but I'd like to stay and see it properly.

OK going to eat now. Thanks everyone.

Lucky you. How long will you be away? Do you plan everything before you go? Need a travel buddy?:D
Not quite sure, depends how long my ip’s stay cf neutral with these interest rates rises..:eek: ideally 6-12months. Have booked the first 3nights in eastern europe, but nothing after that.. a travel buddy would be good, but my travels will mainly involve vodka and chasing russian girls :p

It's not really a problem I guess. I was looking at Prague and it said it's VERY cold. That's a bit scary. I should stop letting that stop me though as it's the time of the year when I can get 5 weeks.
I think once you’re rugged up you should be fine.. Just an idea - one of my favourite things in europe are the thermal pools in Budapest in winter. It can be a bit surreal sitting in a hot pool in the snow, doing laps or even playing chess on the boards. There are also saunas, steam rooms, massages and other healthy things.. There are numerous facilities in Budapest and nearby spa towns which cold turn into a bit of a tour? depends what floats your boat I guess?

with a group and interpreter or by yourself?

not many people in ex-USSR countries speak english, so might be interesting experience :D
No, definitely no group tours.. I've found the older generation barely speak a word of English.. but as for the younger ones, I don’t think I've met one that didn’t speak English?

I like travelling alone and have done so a couple of times with one trip lasting close to 6 months - through Asia.
I think where ever you go you will have a great time, in every country people of all ages like to have a good time, so as long as you are open to new things you should too.

No, definitely no group tours.. I've found the older generation barely speak a word of English.. but as for the younger ones, I don’t think I've met one that didn’t speak English?

there's plenty
english is not always the primary foreign language in schools
so in places like moscow or st petersburg you might find a lot of people do speak english, but outside those cities - the number goes down

Back