Travelling to the west coast US in July

Hi Folks
Maybe some one can help?
We are going to San francisco in the first two weeks in Julie. We were thinking of dioing a bit of a drive around the area.
Has anyone done this or something similar at that time of year?
I am seeking information on accomodation availability as I thick it is their holiday time too.
We went over and did a similar trip around the LA and San Diego area in their spring break a couple of years ago and found it pretty easy just to turn up at motels and get accomodation. Would it be the same in July?
Thanks for any tips?
Simon

Last edited:
. We were thinking of dioing a bit of a drive around the area.
Has anyone done this or something similar at that time of year?
My main concern would be accomodation availability as I thick it is their holiday time too.
If you have the time,go for a drive down from San Francisco to
San Simeon State Park it's all along the coast then spend a day
at this place
http://www.hearstcastle.com/ we have only gone over in october and
september not sure on the accomadation side of things we just hired
a large camper van and starting driving from the airport camped out in the
national parks at night,they are set up like 5 star hotels..http://www.slostateparks.com/

good luck willair..

Thanks Willair
Will have a look at the websites.
I know we could pre book accomodation but we like be more flexible. I don't find driving in the US a propblem at all, in fact it is fun doing everything in reverse image.
Cheers
Simon

Hi Simon,
We spent a week in Napa Valley (just north of SF) but pre-booked accommodation and that was 20 years ago! So I can't help too much there.

I am off to the the US again tomorrow and have pre-booked some accommodation, in particular for dates when we have to be in a particular place at a particular time and there is likely to be a big crowd e.g. when we are in Indianapolis for the Indy 500 but otherwise we will just see what we find.

I would suggest booking at least the first night or two so that you don't have to worry about finding accommodation when you first get there when you will be feeling tired and jet lagged.

Enjoy the trip!

Regards,
Chris.

Hi Simon,

This is an absolutely serious question, I'm not being a smartarse. But considering you fully believe in LoA, why is accomodation availability even an issue? Why aren't you using the principles of LoA to get you the exact accomodation you want?

Mark

Hi Simon,

This is an absolutely serious question, I'm not being a smartarse. But considering you fully believe in LoA, why is accomodation availability even an issue? Why aren't you using the principles of LoA to get you the exact accomodation you want?

Mark
I asked the question to gain clarity and collect data so that I will have a clearer picture of exactly what I want to intend for the trip plus I love hearing of other peoples experiences. Yes I am into the LoA and if I perceived my own request as some form of fear of not finding accomodation then that perception would cause that effect. I will take out the word "concern" from my earlier post. Thankyou for being my language policeman.

One thing I have learned from my experience of understanding the LoA is that if I were to put finite outcomes and deadlines on my desires then I would find myself in a situation of competition with others for that same prize/deadline. In that situation the person with the greatest wanting would get that prize because it is a finite solution. If there is any value in competition is that it increases the wanting. I prefer to focus on abundance. I have found the best way to approach a desire is through appreciation of what I already have and a clear image of what it is I want coupled with my reason why I want it and reasons that I believe I will have what I want. Then once my order is put to the "universal waiter" I can move on in expectation that that thing will come to me. The LoA is a constant in every aspect of my universe and so I have no choice as to whether I use the LoA or not. It is always working. It is my choice to learn how I can use this powerfull force rather than be swept along in kaos.

Cheers
Simon

Last edited:
I see using the LoA as having 3 parts...thinking, feeling, acting.
You can't use LoA to find you something, if you aren't looking (eg for an IP say).

Having said that, if considering accommodation in an area where the timing is likely to be very busy, I would certainly do my DD and research the vacancy rates at places I wanted to stay at that time of year. There are a number of "discount" accomm places (ref Google), that give future vacancy data, and if you monitor that, you will see which periods are already fully booked, and which are currently vacant. Emailing the accomm places individually, would give you an idea as to whether or not they expect to be busy at the time you are most likely going to be there.

Thanks Sailor
I am one who is inclined to allow other members of my family to do all the research on holidays. I just like the experience of being there. Maybe I'm lazy asking these questions but it is fun hearing other peoples experiences. It helps me build excitement and expectation.
Cheers
Simon

Thanks Sailor
I am one who is inclined to allow other members of my family to do all the research on holidays. I just like the experience of being there. Maybe I'm lazy asking these questions but it is fun hearing other peoples experiences. It helps me build excitement and expectation.
Cheers
Simon
You are welcome. If you haven't been yet...my two fav places to go in California are Disneyland and Universal Studios. Playtime for adults....tis fab.:D :cool:

I LOOOVE Ripley's Believe it Or Not museum in San Francisco.

Not especially because of the place itself.

But, because, on one Contiki tour, the relationship beyween myself and a lovely Mexican lady started to change direction from just good friends.

Although it has been 10 years :eek: since my passport pages received a stamp, I'm gonna throw my 2c worth in.

I usually only like to have the first nights accommodation pre booked (pictures are usually so much nicer than the actual accom) and then find my own along the way. Visited the US several times and I don't recall ever having problems with getting accommodation even in August.

Different story in Europe at that time though. I do remember how busy Disneyland was at that time, and know to have some "prior planning" if visiting again in summer!

My sister and her hubby have been to the US many times in the past 2 years, and they usually only book their first nights accommodation, and their conference accom. They had no problems finding accom while "touring" - whether San Francisco, New York or Las Vegas.

Which ever way you decide, either prebooking or not, its bound to be a great adventure.

Happy travels

Sunshine

Last edited:
Thanks Sunshine
We are thinking along those lines. Sounds like it is time for you to blow the dust of your pass port again soon.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Simon

Sounds like it is time for you to blow the dust of your pass port again soon.

Absolutely. Hubby and I have been wanting to go back to Hawaii (we were married there) for years, but just couldn't go that far and not take the kids onto Disneyland. I'm thinking we might use some of our 'hard earned' equity next year - or maybe this year ;)

cheers

Sunshine

Thanks Mark
We are thinking of kicking around San Francisco for a few days to take in the 4th of July celebrations. So we will probably take in a bit of the local sights .
Cheers
Simon

Hiya,

Simon / Julie, I'll be passing through San Fran in about a week's time, all going well, without any prebooked accomodation. I'll see what I can do about letting you know how that goes.

Mind you, I'll probably be looking for something a little less classy than you might have in mind...

Good luck

James.

Thanks James
We have had a change of direction and are now starting our trip in Seattle and maybe flying from there to Las Vegas and then road tripping from there to where ever we feel like going for the remainder of our 2 weeks or so over there.
Cheers
Simon

Back