Travelling with kids

We are setting off shortly for a trip to the states with the kids.
We plan to use a campervan for alot of the trip to allow the kids(who are 1 and 3) to have a more stable environment then a different bed each night. We have tried to plan as little as possible so we can be flexible and pack up and come home if it all turns pear shaped. Our exit clause.
Besides don't do it, has anyone who has been there done that have any suggestions ?

I have camped on the Gold Coast with my family from a very young age. We still go to the Gold Coast every September and still thoroughly enjoy it. This is in no way qualifies me to answer your question. Except to say that the memories are worth every cent. :)

I would recomend you search the forums of TripAdvisor.com or VirtualTourist.com. Both have a wealth of travel information. If you come up short you can always post a question. I planned a 23 day independent tour of China using information posted on these forums.

Andy

My husband and I backpacked Europe for 3 months with our kids (then 6 and 8) and I would have to say it was one of the best experiences of my life.

Its all about not cramming too much in and keeping a positive attitude even when the going gets tough (as it did with us a few times)......

I found the "Thorn Tree" on the Lonely Planet site to be very helpful in our planning stages. Just do a search on travelling with kids.

best of luck

sq

OK.

Listen carefully.

I have three words for you.

PORTABLE DVD PLAYER.

Trust me. It'll be the best $$$ you'll spend.

My daughter (who's 11) just saved up and bought herself one (she didn't want to wait till xmas) as we drive about 6 hours every weekend. It's fantastic. She watches a movie on the way there and another on the way home.

I know your kids are much littler, but, even if it's only for the 3yo, it'll be fantastic.

I recommend if you ARE going to get them a screen each, buy two separate units. There's nothing surer than they'll want to watch two different things if you get one of those systems with the two screens. Besides, with separate units you can have them watching them on the plane.

The one Stephie bought was from WOW, and it cost $130. it's a 7" screen which flips around onto the unit to form a sort of tablet. It's very good value and very good resolution. She's thrilled (and so am I). Also it seems quite robust, and comes with a case and car charger (as well as the normal power cables and batteries), also I'm told you can get a replacement battery for it if required.

Being 1 and 3, they're far too small to care what's going on out the window, they won't read books (even if the older one looks at picture books for a while, a movie will keep them busy for much longer).

Oh, and, if you are going to get two of them, make copies of your DVD's and take the copy along too, so that you can allow them both to watch the same movie if they want in their own player.

Good luck with the trip.

Oh, one other piece of advice. Get a good camera. I'd recommend a Canon 400D with two main lenses: Sigma 12-24 and a Canon 28-135 IS USM lens. The former lens will be invaluable with landscape shots, and there will be LOTS of those in USA. The second one is a great all-round lens magic for kid-type photos. I haven't recommended a zoom lens, but I'd go for a Canon brand one, they do a really great zoom lens, but the Sigma lens is MUCH better on the wide stuff. If you don't want an SLR camera, look at the Panasonic Lumix FZ range.

asy :D

Have to agree about the DVD player - we travel a lot in the car with our 1 and 3 y.o, and the DVD player is fantastic, although just one has been fine for us (1y.o isnt too fussed what he watches!!). We have one of the ones that has two separate screens that go on the headrest, that way you can control the player (3y.o fiddling with DVD a recipe for disaster!!:eek: ).
We have a few 6hr DVDs of NickJnr recorded off Foxtel, which keep them entertained with all the different programs as well as favourite movies.

A big bag full of little snacks and non-spill drink bottles.

Gel hand-cleanser for roadside nappy changes where you cant wash hands.

Some familiar kids CDs (the wiggles/high 5 or whatever) to have sing-a-longs.

I also really love talking books on long trips - get from the library, really $$ to buy. We have no worries hearing the CD over the DVD player...

I also pack stuff under the kids feet to raise the level of the floor up, so you arnt constantly picking things up off the floor.

Cant think of anything else at the mo...I've found the more my kids travelled the better they've got, and its much easier to start young...
Good luck and have fun!!:) :)

Nadia

nards and asy are totally correct - get a dvd player. get one that can be removed from the car so that they can watch a movie in the van before bed if required.

the only other thing i'd add (after spending many travelling hours in the car and on planes) - get the kids to pack a green bag full of their favourite toys, colouring in pencils, paper, books etc and put it on the sit next to them. means they can fossick around themselves for what they want to play with next. a stable table (on their knees), or fold down drawing table (attached to the back of the front seat) can be great for when they want to draw or look at a book.

have fun - don't forget to take time out to just play in the park.

When looking at Motorhomes remember the children will be seated in the very back away from the drivers cabin. You will really need to look into the various plans of the motorhomes to find the carseat location points. YOu will also find that if there is a bed above the drivers cabin it probably will not have a railing to stop little ones rolling off.
We did a motorhome trip with our son when he was 3year old we found he didn't want to go to sleep unless we were going to sleep....so we had some very early nights.
Over all it was a great holiday experience.

Carumble

toy rotation .... with a limited supply you fight 'seen it' syndrome.
(toys/books/colouring supplies in use and others in the boot, switch around)

Inevitably kids want what is in the boot so besides the items they select to bring put a few extra things in storage to bring out in the latter part of the holiday or to distract. A colouring book they didn't know you packed

Hmmm, if you can afford it get a Creative Zen Vision W. It's much more better than a portable DVD player with a large 4.3" screen, 120 hrs of movies times and fits in your handbag. I don't just use it when travelling.
When Josh was sick last week, he just wanted to chill out on the bed so we watched wiggles on the Zen. It also takes up to 15,000 songs, you can download digital photos straight into it with a SDRAM converter which was really handy on our holiday.

I don't think changing rooms every night is a bad idea. Try to make some stops more than 1 night....but it gives them variety. I know DS absolutely loves hotel rooms. DS also love to run around the corridors and go on the lifts.

A campervan might be a bit small.

In the US, hotel rooms are big and ask for the twin rooms as you usually get 2 double beds...which is perfect.

It'll be great fun!

If you want to turn your kids into zombies get a DVD player for them. Yep, you'll get some peace & quiet, but what's the cost to the kids.

We just got back from a 6 hour trip to the snow - the kids (6 & 8) were almost silent the whole trip. They got a dozen library books each (picked by themselves) & devoured them. The only noises from the back seat where I'm hungry - can we stop at <fast food joint> or what does the word XXX mean. I told them a little story about how some food was so bad for them that kids had to be bribed with toys to eat to. We stopped at that olde place in the middle of Goulburn instead. Our kids are top of their class at reading & spelling & have huge general knowledge.

They also have $50 mp3 players full of piano and ballet music. And before they could read they had an mp3 player full of kids stories. When you read them bedtime stories, you could also record them to mp3 - kids love to hear your voice & they don't mind hearing the same stuff over & over again. Age 1 & 3 is a good time to start them listening.

I am a bit inclined to agree with Keith here, the dvd offers peace and quiet but little else in terms of positives for children. Everything in moderation, I say, but I would certainly be including a few compact fold out board games, phonics games, acting and drama games etc. My 3 yo's favourites currently are in the areas of counting, phonics and performance, the younger one will follow along with modified versions of "can you dance like the wiggles" etc.
We have not done camper van holiday, but my son has been overseas 3 times and the very notion of travel to young children is amazing. Be sure to talk them fully through everything happening.
Maybe try the internet for some printable colouring in pictures of things which are related to the areas you are visiting (statue of Liberty, American animals etc) to make up a book to take along.

My sister and brother in law recently camper van-ned through France and are going back for another go, so it can't be too bad at all!! Make sure that you check the harness positions for car seats, if you are using them.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I finally felt confident enough to actually pay for the tickets yesterday. We booked for 9 weeks, I hope that is enough without being too much. We had so much trouble deciding how long to go for.

We have been pondering the idea of a portable dvd player.We have travelled a bit with the kids around Australia and they usually travel well in the car. I think we will get it but use it in moderation.

The idea of games and toys that they choose is great. I think we will also buy a few new things every week or so over there.

As for hotel/motel rooms vs campervan, we have thought about this. The idea of going to sleep at 7 every night does worry us. We are hoping we can get them into a routine. We have camped with them before and once they are asleep we can put the lights back on and do our own thing. We do plan to have the last few weeks in hotels and stay in hotels when ever we need some space. If we stayed in hotels for the whole time our budget would probably blow out too much. We are already spending our next IP deposit. LOL. Lucky the share market has been very kind to us.

We were planning on buying car seats over there. May be a bed rail to. We are actually being lent a campervan so we will check it out then buy what we need. We are hoping to have the little one in a porta cot if we can fit one somewhere.

Thanks for all of your suggestions again. None of our friends travel with their kids even within Australia so this is the great unknown for us.

I'll definately be making a book of all the attractions for Mr 3. he will love it.

caz

If you want to turn your kids into zombies get a DVD player for them. Yep, you'll get some peace & quiet, but what's the cost to the kids.

We just got back from a 6 hour trip to the snow - the kids (6 & 8) were almost silent the whole trip. They got a dozen library books each (picked by themselves) & devoured them. The only noises from the back seat where I'm hungry - can we stop at <fast food joint> or what does the word XXX mean. I told them a little story about how some food was so bad for them that kids had to be bribed with toys to eat to. We stopped at that olde place in the middle of Goulburn instead. Our kids are top of their class at reading & spelling & have huge general knowledge.

They also have $50 mp3 players full of piano and ballet music. And before they could read they had an mp3 player full of kids stories. When you read them bedtime stories, you could also record them to mp3 - kids love to hear your voice & they don't mind hearing the same stuff over & over again. Age 1 & 3 is a good time to start them listening.

While i completely agree watching too much TV is not a good thing, I just dont think you are going to be overly successful with story books and even music, for any length of time, for children of this age, in the car/camper - I know mine (age 3 and 1) simply dont have the attention span to look on their own...they would would want the storries to be read to them, and if your in the front and theyre in the back it cant be done safely.

I have found this to be the biggest problem with toddlers in the car, they get bored quickly, and you are limited to how much you can do with them because of seatbelts - after long trips I always have a very sore back and neck from twisting round to deal with the kids...even toys can be a real pain as they keep dropping them and want them picked up - of course we still take them, but make sure we raise the floor level so they can easily be retrieved, without having to stop! And of course we also play eye-spy, sing, tell stories etc.

So, though I must agree, that DVDs are not the ideal, if you are travelling for an extended period with quite young kids it really is a great solution and makes for a much more pleasant, less stresssful trip...I dont think they will turn in to zombies watching a couple hours of carefully selected DVDs each day!! :D Mum and dad will need some quiet time too!

Travelling with toddlers can be fantastic - just be well organised, dont expect too much and be prepared to change you plans if nesessary :) 9 weeks will be amazing..maybe plan a few stops of several nights to recharge the batteries and re-affirm the routine! Good Luck!

Nadia

We just got back from a 6 hour trip to the snow - the kids (6 & 8) were almost silent the whole trip.

the big difference is that your kids are old enough to entertain themselves and read to themselves - and there is two of them.

i have travelled extensively with junior since she was a baby. we sing songs, i sit in the back and read to her while hubby drives (she is not old enough to read, and i end up getting car sick), we play eye-spy endlessly, spot coloured cars and she has her colouring books and toys. none of which i mind joining in with her to play - but being an only child, and me being her sole companion for play on the trips, this can get rather mind numbing for mother after 6 hours.

so a couple of dvd's intersped with the above is fantastic relief - for both of us. normally she falls asleep while watching anyhow.

the big difference is that your kids are old enough to entertain themselves and read to themselves - and there is two of them.
The point is that I never had a DVD player, my kids haven't either - my parents & subsequently I put in the hard yards. The reason they can entertain themselves now is BECAUSE they never had one. And they don't like each other reading aloud - so there being two of them is irrelevant.

i have travelled extensively with junior since she was a baby. we sing songs, i sit in the back and read to her while hubby drives (she is not old enough to read, and i end up getting car sick), we play eye-spy endlessly, spot coloured cars and she has her colouring books and toys. none of which i mind joining in with her to play - but being an only child, and me being her sole companion for play on the trips, this can get rather mind numbing for mother after 6 hours.
All those are far better ideas than DVDs. Only DVDs is the lazy way out.

so a couple of dvd's intersped with the above is fantastic relief - for both of us. normally she falls asleep while watching anyhow.
When they fall asleep is the time parents get peace & quiet. However, if they are trained to entertain themselves productively from an early age (like 3) then you get your P&Q earlier. A diet of DVDs from an early age will instill the expectation it's normal to be force fed whatever comes out of that box, a diet of education will give teach that normal is something completely different.

And of course there's balance in everything - a DVD as a special treat for being good for a week teaches them something about rewards. A special treat for our kids is cutting their sandwiches into triangles instead of rectangles:eek: - it's all about managing expectations.:)

While I never had a portable DVD player as a child either, I also didnt spend hours in a campervan travelling across the US!

But, as they say, everything in moderation so maybe you could get them to use the player a couple of hours a day? Maybe around 3-5 at the witching hour? We travelled around Europe and GB with a very active 2 year old, I would have loved for some quiet time with him watching some videos! And you could also get some music CD's for them too!

It isnt a matter of being lazy at all, everyone needs some de-stressing time and I think the DVD's would do the trick! And after all, it is your holiday too so you deserve to be able to relax a bit!

Hi Caz,
I’ve just returned from 12 weeks overseas trip with my wife and children aged 4 and 1 (nearly 2). First up, let me say it was a fantastic experience, but it was also damn hard work. For most of the time we had a rental car and stayed in self-catering apartments. These were far better than hotels, and can work out quite cheaply if you book them yourself over the net. The best part of the trip was one month in France – here we stayed in 4 separate farm cottages, one week each. This gave us a chance to work out where supermarkets were, best places for walks/playground etc with children, and to plan a suitable balance between tourism and play. The children didn’t seem to need a stable environment, and in fact, got quite excited when we moved on to a new ‘home’.

Your timing seems about right. After about 9 weeks we ‘hit the wall’, and spent the last few weeks on the beach in Hawaii, just dreaming of getting home to wintry Sydney.

My view on the DVD debate is that you really want to minimise the times when the kids need to be entertained with DVDs. I’m not sure where you’re going, but a campervan is surely best when you plan to do a lot of driving, and I think the children will soon tire of that. But nine weeks overseas is very different to one trip to snow, and for your own sanity (it really is hard work), I’m sure you’ll find them invaluable. We took 2 laptops with DVD – they were particularly useful for the long flights.

We had a lot of luggage, and to save space, we downsized from teddies to mini-teletubbies. We took lots of activities like dot-to-dot and colouring-in. Towards the end of the trip they started getting tired of all their books, and we tossed some out and bought new ones.

Every week or so we had ‘Children’s Day’, which was always keenly anticipated. This usually involved a fun park, swimming or similar, and always involved ice cream. Absolutely no gothic cathedrals, Buddhist temples, or long travel on that day. My 4 yo’s best memories of the trip are double-deckers buses, a lame pirate roller coaster in Brittany, the strange traffic lights and road signs in different countries, the Eiffel tower, crepes in France. So, don’t expect too much from your 3 yo regarding conventional tourist sites.

We were a bit naïve and thought that if we turned up for international flights 3 hours before departure, we would, as a family, definitely get seats together. Not so, call beforehand.

Anyway, have fun.

No offence KeithJ but i don't understand the point in being so anal from such a young age. It could also backfire i.e preventing DVD's and tvs doesn't do anything except make them want it even more. As for phonics, reading, music etc I am sure parents here all do their share as well. I am a SAHM so devote 100% to my child and he's pretty well rounded. Everything in moderation.

Early childhood learning and development is important but kids all develop at diff levels. It's especially sore point for other mums that have children with leraning difficulties so don't be too quick to brag about what your kids can do for their age blag blah blah. It doesn't do any harm to teach them at home aswell, and it's usually the case that kids whose parents sits down and do literacy and numeracy with them also do well at school.

I think DVD's, movies, cartoons form an important part of childhood memories. Just look at all the grown men in their 30's getting excited over Transformers!

I also believe that just because a child isn't that bright at 5, doesn't say much about how they will turn out as an adult. Some kids bloom very late...My step bro only just scraped it into a B.A course eventhough he studied really hard but he blossomed in Uni, got a great GPA, transferred to Law at Melbourne Uni and just recently completed his Masters in Law and owns his own successful law firm.

Try and pack as light as possible. 9 weeks is such a long time and you will bring back twice as much as you brought over. They're really strict with luggage weight now. As for books, toys etc buy some when you are there an dump them there when you leave. It's really not worth carrying stuff from oz and bringing it all the way home.

Try and fit a cruise in there. You can get last minute cruises for really cheap i.e 7 day Bahamas for USD $200 and they have a kids club for 3yrs +.

Hopefully we will get to go to US next yr with a 1yr and 3yr old too. Make sure to keep us updated on your travels.

No offence KeithJ but i don't understand the point in being so anal from such a young age. It could also backfire i.e preventing DVD's and tvs doesn't do anything except make them want it even more. As for phonics, reading, music etc I am sure parents here all do their share as well. I am a SAHM so devote 100% to my child and he's pretty well rounded. Everything in moderation.
I think we have v. different views about parenting. It's managing expectations, teaching them what is 'normal', teaching them that rewards come after effort. Everything you do is picked up by kids - they learn about life from what you do (& not what you say). And 'No' is a really powerful word - so many parents are scared to use it.

If they have DVDs on tap now, what do they get as special treats ? or as a reward for good behaviour ? What will they get as a treat/reward next year - when they're 4 ? How do you plan to keep up with their expectations over the next 16 yrs ? Or are they expectations that society/media/Harvey Norman want you to think are normal ?

The main message from the first few responses was get a DVD player - it'll solve all your problems. I think this is lazy & sends the wrong message to kids. DVDs are fine in moderation, our kids get National Geographics DVDs as a treat or reward, or occasionally a story. And they've got to be able to talk to other kids about the movie.

Some acquaintances have 2 similar aged kids - they travel to Townsville from Syd 3-4 times a year - the kids get to watch DVDs the whole way - they have done since they were born - now they can't travel without it. Try talking to those kids - they have a permanent, glazed, vacant look. Of course, 18 hrs of DVDs is not moderation.

This is turning into a delayed gratification thread, rather than 'DVDs are fine in moderation' thread:) .

Back