Travis Morien

A very good site, especially for shares and managed funds.

However I thought that the following:

http://travismorien.com/invest_FAQ/content/view/80/56/

Unfortunately there isn't much else on the web that is any good for Australian sites either. I researched this FAQ entirely from books, experience, academic papers and interviews with successful property investors. Although I did search the web I found nothing that was the least bit helpful.

was a bit harsh.

Another point is that parts are quite old and were written before the boom of the 2000s. In particular Perth's median of $156k was considered expensive at the time.

http://travismorien.com/invest_FAQ/content/view/104/56/

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
I had e-mailed Travis today after reading his website to ask him some questions re. index funds/ETF's and got a very informative reply.

Peter, I have actually told him that his weblinks for real estate have completely missed the best resource for property investment education in Australia - ie. Somersoft :D!

On another note, fee for service financial planners, who don't get commissions for selling particular products DO exist, and I've come across a few in my searches recently, Travis appears to be one of these (but this is not a recommendation of course, and I'm not a client of his either).

GSJ

When I first came across that site 4 years ago, I remember he was quite unimpressed with Jan's books and strategy. Doesn't sound like much has changed.

Mark

Not only just index funds, but funds with a value/small company tilt
Im a big fan of this approach, and am about to implement a fully
passive, DFA/index portfolio
Ive emailed travis on many occasions, and respect him greatly
as a financial planner as do some financial planners Ive spoken to as well

Not only just index funds, but funds with a value/small company tilt
Im a big fan of this approach, and am about to implement a fully
passive, DFA/index portfolio
Ive emailed travis on many occasions, and respect him greatly
as a financial planner as do some financial planners Ive spoken to as well

Hiya dee

I've been thinking about putting something like this into place also. Could I ask you how much you're paying for this please.

Theo

Thinking about this some more, I'd put Travis Morien in the same category as Neil Jenman, Austin Donnelly and Anita Bell.

If you follow their recommendations with regards to property you're most unlikely to lose your shirt.

But if reading them causes you not to buy something (eg a Perth house in 2000*) you could be kicking yourself later.

He's a smart guy, displays rigour most in the industry don't (at least in public), and sounds like someone you could trust advising a non-financially literate relative. But when it comes to more active areas of property investing, an appropriate response might be a lot of 'yes buts'.

Peter

(*) Refer to Morien's site for mention the poor value of houses in 2000 and Jenman's claims about not buying anything with less than 7% yield. 5-6% yields were the rule not the exception in pre-boom Perth, though any of those properties would have done well. Both Bell and Donnelly would have wanted to keep borrowings down.

Id agree with Spiderman - in that he is conservative
but not to the extent of lumping him in with Bell et al
He's not a big fan of property

A conservativley geared portfolio of indexes/DFA held long term would have done very well too

In my situation - I have property, I want a portfolio of shares that are automated, with maximal return backed by academic research, with low turnover. Its a risk management thing to have a FP.
I'd like to have property and shares growing. They also do a lot of other things- look at your super, gearing, insurances etc

I would never go to them for advice on property tho

You can keep doing that yourself

Theo - if you want specifics on who I use or fees, PM me

I had e-mailed Travis today after reading his website to ask him some questions re. index funds/ETF's and got a very informative reply.

Peter, I have actually told him that his weblinks for real estate have completely missed the best resource for property investment education in Australia - ie. Somersoft :D!

On another note, fee for service financial planners, who don't get commissions for selling particular products DO exist, and I've come across a few in my searches recently, Travis appears to be one of these (but this is not a recommendation of course, and I'm not a client of his either).

GSJ

What is the fee for service JIT

1% Annual Fee or similar?

What is the fee for service JIT

1% Annual Fee or similar?

Not sure redwing, haven't paid to use his services formally.

Don't think they charge based on % of assets though, but a flat $ fee.

btw Travis is actually re-training to be a doctor now.

Back when I was with guardian partners we had radiologists in private practice taking home 1m before taxes. Little better than some wage slaves.

Back