Tree change - Try Before You Buy

well - i for one am busting to get onto a few acres. have the pony, the chooks, the vege garden. raise a lamb and calf each year for the freezer. build the house up to be energy neutral (and maybe even put some back in the grid).

and - i want to also build two high quality, romantic, self contained (read: bed, not breakfast) cottages that i will supply basic pantry food for - bacon, eggs, bread, butter, bottle of wine etc. the cottages will be basically one large room + bathroom with fireplace, kitchenette, bed with luxury linen, shagging rug, outdoor spa, private gardens etc

i can't wait ...

well - i for one am busting to get onto a few acres. have the pony, the chooks, the vege garden. raise a lamb and calf each year for the freezer. build the house up to be energy neutral (and maybe even put some back in the grid).

and - i want to also build two high quality, romantic, self contained (read: bed, not breakfast) cottages that i will supply basic pantry food for - bacon, eggs, bread, butter, bottle of wine etc. the cottages will be basically one large room + bathroom with fireplace, kitchenette, bed with luxury linen, shagging rug, outdoor spa, private gardens etc

i can't wait ...

Go for it! Peter

Lizzie:
raise a lamb and calf each year for the freezer

That was my stumbling block, however always the negotiator, I found safety in numbers...easier to carry a few lambs, few calves, build them up and not so much our family pets then...

Pic 1 was always going to be difficult, let Sam the lamb beget Sheedy, Sheedy had twins, pic 2....Frisky and Bo bo...so on...pic 3 soon there was that many, we had distance and Bobo's babies went missing and all was good. Etc..we had all lost count.;)

Attachments

• farm assort 12 0071.JPG
    farm assort 12 0071.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 57
  • frrrost31.JPG
    frrrost31.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 62
  • LAMBING FUN2008 0151.JPG
    LAMBING FUN2008 0151.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 53
Same with the turkeys....just keep building those numbers up, plus good trade and barter with neighbors.

Lizzie:
with fireplace, kitchenette, bed with luxury linen, shagging rug

Thank goodness ....after the thread-on-a-bed and folk worried about activity of slipping through the cracks, I was wondering where the sense of adventure had gone? And us the "oldies"....heh!:p clover paddocks, shearing sheds, shagging rugs!!!

Love good B+B's...

Attachments

• turkey family1.jpg
    turkey family1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 56
That was my stumbling block ...

yes - initially that was my impression, until i learnt that the animal you send to the abatior is not the animal you get back in the plastic bags. i gather it's just a lamb goes in, a lamb comes out scenario.

but - if, when the times comes, i baulk at the gate i'll just contract with one of the local farmers to "buy" one of his "lambs go in" as my sister does.

lizzie, our obsession

Hubby's sisters used to raise lambs, but couldn't face the thought of, well .....

So they used to swap lambs when the appropriate time arrived .....

Cheers
LynnH

Recently let go a family owned property that was very close to self sufficient. Nice secluded 40 acres hidden amongst the trees over looking the town and 1 hour from Melbourne.

Definitely looking for another but bigger and more secluded.

Make sure if you get a place then buy some geese and ducks. They can be very protective and make a lot of noise when visitors or intruders come. Also endless supply of eggs and poultry for sunday roasts.

Back