Tree removal and Granny Flat

Hi there,

I am considering building a granny flat on my Blacktown property though need to contend with a mature (20m plus hieght) Eucolyptus Tree. The tree restricts the optimal usage of the block

Council has rejected my application for removal, I have also sought arborist advice which has confirmed the tree's health and therefore doesn't support removal.

With the tree in place I can't build a sufficiently sized flat and don't feel I would be getting best use of the land. I know alsothat tree removals don't form part of a complying development application.

I know little about using the general DA process, would this option be viable and also approve the tree removal for the benefit of a dwelling? OR would they decline tree removal and ask me to modify my plans to maintain the tree?

You've pretty much answered your question. If it has to get approval for tree removal then you'll need to redesign to get around it.

They won't approve the removal of trees just so that you can develop the block.

You've pretty much answered your question. If it has to get approval for tree removal then you'll need to redesign to get around it.

They won't approve the removal of trees just so that you can develop the block.

In my experience (around 20 years doing DA's in Sydney) Councils are much more likely to support a development with tree-removal proposed rather than a straight-up 'tree-removal application' on it's own.

If your development plans propose the re-planting of a significant and similar native tree to replace the one proposed for removal, there's no reason why they should refuse you.

At Blacktown Council, I recently had 3x massive gum trees (I'm talking 24 mtrs high with >1m thick trunks) approved to be removed as part of a DA for a secondary dwelling; so it can be done in most cases.

Brazen.

Brazen,

Thank you very much for your response. I have previously been in contact with Granny Flat Approvals (another salesman rather than yourself), paid a visit to your Revesby site, and unfortunatley recieved different information. This was one of the reasons I pursued the removal seperatley.

Given your view I will be in contact or would appreciate a phone call, you will have my details on file.

Hi David,

You did the right thing and were advised correctly. Its almost always best to try a tree-removal application first and then (if refused), try a DA with structure proposed.

With tree removal, there are never any guarantees BUT supported via a DA to erect a structure is always more powerful than a tree-removal application alone.

Serge.

Back