Tree removal caused damage.

Hi all,

I just had a 60ft tree removed from my investment property garden as it was rotten and dangerous. During the process, the lumberjack managed to damage a dwarf wall I have there taking out about 1.5m out of the 6m length at three courses high.

Just wondered which way you would expect this to go? It happened about an hour ago. He has messaged me through facebook which is how we have been communicating, to say the job was complete and also to tell me about the damage but didn't mention any course for compensation, rebuild or reduction in my bill so I asked if his insurance would cover it, if he would arrange to have it re-built or if he would offer a reduction for the damage so I could get it rectified and not be out of pocket.

How would you have dealt with this? This is my first rental property and one of the first times I have had to get a contractor in to do any work in the 30 months I have been letting it out.

The total cost of the tree removal was 850 pounds ($1700 but the house is in the UK) including having the stump ground out so that there are no longer any evidence that the tree ever existed and also taking all the wood away.

Thanks

Paul

You did the right thing in asking him how he would like to rectify this.

You need to hold him accountable.

How did he reply?

Forget the charge back, forget the rectification, read the terms and conditions and then
consider your course of action.

He would have insurance and he needs to contact them to make a claim for the costs.

Keep up the communication and in the meantime get a quote from a reliable licenced person to make rectification.

Ensure that the contractor is aware in writing that he has caused damaged (photograph with a date and time stamp) and give them 10 days to make good on agreed works.

Back