Tree removal permit from Hills Council (NSW)

Hi everyone

I have about 10 awfully large trees in yard, 5 of which are conifers - at least 10metres tall.

They seem to be in good health but they really worry me during windy conditions and I'm very concerned that they might fall onto the property or neighbouring property and cause damage or injury.

I understand Council's policy is to normally give permission to remove healthy trees.

It cost $100 just to make the application to Council, so I want to make it worthwhile.

Has anyone had experience in getting tree removal permits from Hills Council? Have you had much luck in getting permission to remove healthy but extremely large trees?

Thanks in advance.

I have put applications to Hills Shire in the past and they dont just approve health trees to be cut down. I have had to have a good reason. Dont believe you need permission for conifers but best to ring them and get 100% clearance as fines are $3000+ per tree. Do you fall in the new 10/50 law?

Thanks guys

Scott hehe I only wish they weren't sooo tall ... Whichever way it falls someone's property will be in the way sigh :eek:

Salvatore what's that 10/50 rule you refer to?

I understand Council's policy is to normally give permission to remove healthy trees.

Hills Shire Council is second to Hornsby. (Merger soon ??) BOTH avoid removal of any health trees. Its a battle...You should consider risks of limbs falling but confiers arent like gums..

Fire risks - recent changes to tree removal ruules for fire risk land is a option ??? Your tree guys will know what I'm talking about. Its now open slather in Dural / Glenhaven as almost all land is fire prone. Check out the 10/30 rule just bought into NSW law :) Council dont need to approve these sorts of issues. They just have to issue the permit it its compliant with the 10/30 rule

Thanks guys

Scott hehe I only wish they weren't sooo tall ... Whichever way it falls someone's property will be in the way sigh :eek:

Salvatore what's that 10/50 rule you refer to?

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/news-and-media/general-news/1050-vegetation-clearing

About time some sense prevailed but as usual they have gone too far the other way now. The zonings were stupid in the first place, very poorly done with no local knowledge used at all, now they are using the same zonings, Bureaucrats :eek:

Is this in an urban area? I love trees but large ones just don't belong in urban area - too many risks.

How would council react if you coppiced them? Get a tree lopper to take the greatest mass off the top and sides. The lower trunk and root ball isn't the problem is it? (no roots attacking pipes?) So all you need to do is remove the branches and much of the height. This should keep your costs down (the permit is the least of your cost worries!)

Then when they shoot again (as they will) you can prevent a repeat performance by regular pruning.

Ongoing m'tce costs sure, but you don't need to jump thru a lot of hoops up front + you don't have the expense of stump grinding and paperwork.

If you are in a declared fire prone area you can remove trees with out council permission if they are within 10 meters of the home and you can clear shrub if you back onto bushland with in 30mters or 50 mtrs unsure which exact figure and up to 8 mtrs in height.

As for trimming tree The Hills Shire only allow 10% to be trimed per year which is not much. eg if 10 branches on the tree you can only take 1 branch off all together and thats it.

Back