Tree roots in drain - whos responsibility is it??

Last week we had to get plumbers to fix a blocked drain in our villa IP (second time the plumbers had been called for a blocked drain over the last few months). When questioning the plumber, he explained that the drain had tree roots that was blocking the flow.

Question is, since this issue is outside my particular villa, whos responsibility is it to clear the tree roots from the drain and how would I go about getting the drains cleared??

Cheers,

All the houses in my street built at roughly the same time. During construction the builders got sand in the street drains (which prevents them from working). Couldn't allocate it to a particular property or builder, so the strata suggested we go 8ths in the cost of getting them cleaned up as a seperate levy. Same deal for you im guessing?

If I understand our new laws correctly, the owner of the tree is responsible for its roots ... now I am laughing at what I typed, but I think that the new laws.

I hope that's true but I'm a bit sceptical.
We've just had our drains cleared of roots again. It was a strata thing. We know very well that the roots come from all the trees next door.
We are going to apply to the neighbour and the council to remove some of the main offenders but council is extremely stict about trees - even cutting brances etc.

Hi Chris,

A few months ago we had a similar situation. The plumbing blocked up on the weekend & the tenant called emergency plumber to repair.

We approached strata on behalf of our landlord and they paid the invoice to the plumber directly. Have a chat with them. It would also be wise to ask for a copy of your strata plan/by laws so you have the diagrams and it should outline some of the responsibilities in there.

Hope this helps!

I have to deal with repairs on common property all the time and most of the repairs on common property are the drains being blocked!!

Every time this has occurred I've simply contacted the owners corp, provided them with a copy of the bill and depending on the cost they've paid directly or the cost has been divided between owners and each had to pay a special levy to cover the costs.

Call them and speak to them, just like Property Managers, not all Owners Corp managers are bad either ;).

Great, thanks for the info on the NSW legislation Perp - will come in very handy, and for the feedback about similar situations all. I will forward my bill to the body corp, see what they say.

About removing the offending tree, we are pretty sure it is a Callistimon in the common area just outside the bathroom. Let's see what they say about removal and poisoning. I'll keep the thread posted.

Cheers,

It may even be the local water authorities responsibility?

On my property (house) the sewer line that runs through the back of the block, into the next property and so on, has had tree roots growing into the piping - a tree that is on my property. On at least two occasions to my knowledge, the water authority have come in, high pressure cut the roots out and left - at no cost - even though it was my tree that caused the problem. This is because that section of piping is the water authorities asset.

So it depends on exactly where the blockage is, as to who is responsible.

Additionally, I had another tree getting it's roots into the section of the sewer on my property that isn't considered the water authorities asset. I payed for a plumber to come in and high pressure cut the roots out. I was told it will happen again and would cost $200 every few months. B$*LDUST! I removed the offending tree :D

Thanks for your comments. Since the tree is in the middle of the common area of the property, I will send the bill to the strata managers - here goes.

They will continue getting the bills until the offending callistimon is removed and poisoned. Would I need to add this issue to the agenda of the next AGM to get the tree removed, ow will they hopefully take it upon themselves to remove the callistimon??

Cheers,

Thanks for your comments. Since the tree is in the middle of the common area of the property, I will send the bill to the strata managers - here goes.

They will continue getting the bills until the offending callistimon is removed and poisoned. Would I need to add this issue to the agenda of the next AGM to get the tree removed, ow will they hopefully take it upon themselves to remove the callistimon??

Cheers,

Yes Chris,
You need to send the bills with an accompanying letter and you need to attend strata meetings and get yourself on the Executive Committee - they'll be glad to have you there.
Good luck. Stay cool, be polite, keep going.

Many thanks WattleIdo

I will send the invoice with a covering email and follow up with an enquiry phone call a few days later (polite of course!). The strata AGMs are in December and appear to be well represented by owners in the complex so I will make the next AGM to hear the wider rabble and add my 2c.

Since the IP is remote to where I live, how would I go about being active on the exec committee?

Cheers,

You can vote by proxy, I think is the terminology. That is, you either have already decided on a certain issue or you give your vote to the Chairperson - who is hopefully the strata manager.

Also, to keep an executive position you can do it by distance. I can't remember how but I did it last year. You'll need to speak to the strata manager.

Would be best to go the meeting the first time, if you can. My flat is in a small block so not many people. I shudder to think what it's like in those bigger complexes - would be tempting to stay away. But someone has to be pro-active and once you start, others like you will get on board.

There's probably SSers on here who can give you more detail.It's important to 'be present' so that's what I do as much as possible and just work with it from there.

The strata manager is the one who knows what's going on and it's pointless putting them offside. They are your friend.

Last week we had to get plumbers to fix a blocked drain in our villa IP (second time the plumbers had been called for a blocked drain over the last few months). When questioning the plumber, he explained that the drain had tree roots that was blocking the flow.

Question is, since this issue is outside my particular villa, whos responsibility is it to clear the tree roots from the drain and how would I go about getting the drains cleared??

Cheers,

Is this property in Tregear?

Thanks WattIdo

I'll wait for the December AGM and add my name to the exec at that point. If I raise it as an issue at the AGM as an issue that can affect each of the units depending on where the offending tree is then hopefully I will get some buy in. I will also monitor the strata's position over the coming months.

Talking about larger complexes, I also own an apartment as part of a 170 unit complex. At the last 2 AGMs, there has only been 6 or so people turn up. I was a bit of a squeaky wheel at the last AGM and there were a few shooting looks in my direction when they asked for nominations for the exec but... :eek:

Eternit, not at Tregear, but in SW Sydney

Cheers,

Thanks WattIdo

I'll wait for the December AGM and add my name to the exec at that point. If I raise it as an issue at the AGM as an issue that can affect each of the units depending on where the offending tree is then hopefully I will get some buy in. I will also monitor the strata's position over the coming months.

Talking about larger complexes, I also own an apartment as part of a 170 unit complex. At the last 2 AGMs, there has only been 6 or so people turn up. I was a bit of a squeaky wheel at the last AGM and there were a few shooting looks in my direction when they asked for nominations for the exec but... :eek:

Eternit, not at Tregear, but in SW Sydney

Cheers,

The reason I asked is because my property had a similar problem in a townhouse but it was handled by BC and has been rectified. It is a BC issue.

Thanks eternit

Here's hoping for a similar resolution. I've just drafted an email to go with the invoice for reimbursement and requesting their attention to the tree so to stop ongoing issues. More of an enquiring email to see their reaction and direction.

Cheers,

I'm in a 70+ unit complex and we had the same issue. Anyway we got a quote of over 17k to fix the tree root issue (apparently the work involved would mean changing the pipes under my bath)! But the pipes it affects is only for 4 (mine included) units as we are on a separate plumbing system to the rest of the 70 odd units. A lot of money, and I'm glad I wouldn't have to pay the whole amount myself. Anyway, no long term remedial action has been taken on this as yet (initial problem reared it's head just over a month ago), the strata's also has to deal with a burnt out car in the secure garage (arson attack/attempted theft) causing a lot of mess, and a lot of things to fix.

Back