Trespassing?!

W

WebBoard

Hi All,

We have just sold a unit and the settlement is to go through tomorrow. We went there tonight to collect the last of our stuff and noticed that the 'owners to be' had been in and put up blinds and cut the grass etc. (in readiness to rent out). Are they allowed to do this when technically they don't own the property yet and they didn't notify us that they were doing these things? It's not really a big issue...just curious! What if damage was done to the property?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Sounds like they helped themselves to early possession if you ask me! If you want to take it further, check with your solicitor where you stand. I'd be interested to hear the outcome!
Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 1.1

No, they're not allowed to do it without your permission.

Gail

Reply: 1.1.1

So how did they get access ? Who gave them keys ?

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2

That's what we are trying to find out today! There was a card for another real estate on the bench (not the agents that are selling it for us!). It's not that big a deal, but the more I think about it, the more miffed I get!

Reply: 3

We have just found out that our RE agent gave the keys out to the tradesman for him to put blinds in for the purchasers, without notifying us and without accompanying them!

Then, yesterday the RE agent handed the keys over to the new RE agents who are going to be managing the property for the purchasers!

They didn't think it mattered one day early!

Obviously, they were trying to keep the purchaser on side to try and keep the management of the property...stuff the vendors!! Who are the RE agents really working for?!

Reply: 3.1

Hit them up for a discount of the commission now.

If you are that upset make a show of it, do the sit in in their office. Oh, and remember to take the esky, full of drinks and kids, without toys with you too.

Or is that to nasty?

Cheers
Robert

The Sydney "Freestylers" Group Leader.

Reply: 3.1.1

So Robert, how many kids can you fit in an esky now? 3? 4 mabye?

Craig.

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1

And red cordial in the esky.

Cheers
Robert

Reply: 3.1.1.2

Hi Craig.

I've got no idea on how many kids will fit in an esky. I don't have any, kids that is.

Can I borrow someones kids for an experiment please....

Cheers
Robert

Reply: 3.1.1.2.1

Robert,

I would love to help but I am fresh out of Kids at the moment and while
I may act like a kid sometimes I'm sure I'm a little to big for this
experiment. :)

Craig.

Reply: 3.1.1.2.1.1

I volunteer my kids...

Good luck.

Be careful, the 8yo will beat you in cashflow. You could take the game and set it up in their foyer.... That would be FUN!

Let me know when you want them, Rob...

asy

"Don't forget what happened to the guy who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...
He lived happily ever after.
(Willy Wonka).

Reply: 4

Fiona....

Personally, I would be making one hell of a song and dance about it, I cant see you getting any discounts or special treatment for this particular transaction, but certainly let them know what they have done, and how angry you are, and that you will need to be placated, store those kudo's, and make SURE they know they owe you one.

Cheers TW

~Never burn your bridges~

Reply: 4.1

Hi Fiona,
A couple years back when I was a bit naive and had not yet discovered this forum.
I allowed a RE agent to persuade me into permitting the buyer to move into my house
before settlement.What a huge mistake!
She literally got try before you buy,obviously found a few things she didn't like.
My idiot solicitor who later I discovered had a drug problem caused me to go over settlement.
The woman called her solicitor and said deals off and I want my deposit back.
My lesson:
Not one hour,one minute,one second before settlement would I allow the new owners to move in,in any shape or form!
Cheers Shelly

Reply: 5

Thanks for your help everyone. I have decided not to pursue it this time, because luckily the settlement went through without dramas. The one thing I am going to do is write a fairly strong worded letter to the RE agent! Sadly, they were excellent up until this, and it's a shame that the first thing we are going to remember about them now is how they stuffed up!

Reply: 5.1

Fiona,
Take heed of TW's message. That's the best advice I've read on this forum since I started reading six months ago.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

Reply: 4.1.1

Hi Shelly,

If all vendors think like you (and I agree by the way) how do the "gain access to renovate before settlement" people get into the property?

I have asked this on a couple of purchases in the past and always been refused access despite assurances of having the appropriate liability insurances in place.

OK Geoff1, how do you do it?

Owen

"Gambling promises the poor what property performs for the rich – something for nothing"

Reply: 4.1.1.1.1

Don't be difficult Michael... of course he would like you to answer how you would do it... as would we all !

Please ?

sim.gif

Last edited:
Back