Tricks of The Rich and Infamous

My problem is with the way you use the word 'suffer'. I dont consider the time i spent working hard as suffering. I used to love my work - as hard as it was - and looked forward to every challenge every day. And i was making enough money to spend then ( and boy did i spend) and invest for the future.

Originally posted by duncan_m
Right, you did the hard yards and now you're reaping the benefits. Great! I sincerely look up to you.

We all in our own way 'suffer in order to possess'.. Just as you have done. Some by giving up personal time (ie working hard) some by living frugally.. I gave up Cars and I'll never take them up again, I'm so over them. I give up other things including time, lavish holidays, DeWalt Tools, Snap-on tools.. I cant see what your problem is with the original blasphemy that you feel I uttered.. We all suffer in order to possess.

Duncan.

Thanks for the info regarding lease or buy,after reading all the posts I think the buy option may be the way to go in this case.

SIM Wrote
I recommend to all of my friends who buy laptops that they look at the R series - there's no need for the T series for general users.

However for our work given that we travel so much and demonstrate software that really pushes the abilities of the machine, we need something that's ultra-light, ultra-strong, and ultra-powerful - a T series !. Of course, we are by no means typical users. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Sim.
what brand is the R and the T series? I need a laptop with a portable printer, infered port, a modem, running office 2000, it will be traveling a lot, any info, web links, will be much appreciated.
Regards Steve.

Hi Steven,

Given that Sim works at IBM, most laptops he refers to are IBM ones. Keep this in mind :)

-Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave and Sim,
I did a search and found the lap top reccomendations thread,
a very informative disscusion, and a vast amount of info,
I would paste a link to it but i dont know how,
Thanks again regards Steve.

I have no problem with delayed gratification but I do wonder what happens to our ‘big picture’ if our ‘bomb’ cars fail us at the wrong time, in either a fault or a crash. If my memory serves me correctly the Daihatsu Charade isn’t exactly the safest car on the road. Agreed they run on the sniff of an oily rag. Anyway the point im trying to make is there needs to be a balance, and only one person knows that right balance for you.
To the original subject, if you can make more than the interest rates/ lease fees why would you want your capital tied up? So leasing a 50k car at say $750/ month costs you 9k/ year. If you use that 40k to buy an additional IP you should make more than that 9k anyway, have the cake and eat it too, perhaps?

Originally posted by dtraeger2k
Given that Sim works at IBM, most laptops he refers to are IBM ones. Keep this in mind :)

Even with the smiley, Dave, I do take offence at the suggestion that I am only recommending IBM laptops because I work for IBM.

The only loyalty I feel towards any company is based on how good their products and services are. I've been using IBM ThinkPads for over 8 years now (been working for IBM for less than 3 years and in the Software Group, not the Hardware Group) - it's my experience with the product that lends me to recommend them, not my employment status.

During this period I have also used Dell and Toshiba laptops quite extensively, so I can make comparisons with these machines based on experience.

Originally posted by Sim
The only loyalty I feel towards any company is based on how good their products and services are.

Hmmm, products no problem,.... services and pricing, well I wonder and I wonder along with a large market segment....
ab

Originally posted by astroboy
Hmmm, products no problem,.... services and pricing, well I wonder and I wonder along with a large market segment....
ab

I use and recommend IBM ThinkPads and IBM ThinkVision LCD Monitors - that's about as far as my personal recommendations go with IBM. I make no comments whatsoever about IT services.

We have some really good software now - but given that I work with that stuff and don't use it as a customer, my views are not based on actual experience.

The thing I have noticed about the IBM notebooks I have looked at is the clock speeds and hard drives look somewhat low for the money, for 3 grand for example it seems like you can't get very much above 2ghz with perhaps a 20-30gb HD, whereas as in the Dells that kind of money seem to get you similar specs to IBM machines but with 3ghz M processors and 60gb hd.

I specific machine I am looking at at the moment is this one (also mentioned above) which I have seen generally well reviewed,

http://www.ap.dell.com/ap/au/en/gen/offers/special_offer_3.htm

would there be an IBM machine for the money that would compare to the specs on that, or perhaps I am missing out on some other important differences?

Sim,
Don't get me wrong, IBM has some *really* good software, and hardware. I use it everyday, I derive my a large portion of my living from it.
IMHO , the bulk of it is best of breed, regardless of market share.
I love it, I live it , the delivery and customer 'empathy' leaves a bit to be desired tho..waddayareckon Sam, I know you watch here.
ab

IBM ThinkPad G40 23885BM
3.0GHz Pentium 4, WinXP Pro, 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 15" 1400x1050 LCD, CDRW/DVD combo, 10/100 ethernet, 802.11b WiFi wireless

$2999 list price.

If you want that 60GB HDD with the Dell, you'd better order within the next 30 mins - the offer for the larger HDD expires at midnight :D

Originally posted by Sim

3.0GHz Pentium 4, WinXP Pro, 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 15" 1400x1050 LCD, CDRW/DVD combo, 10/100 ethernet, 802.11b WiFi wireless

$2999 list price.

thanks sim, I will have close look at that that

If you want that 60GB HDD with the Dell, you'd better order within the next 30 mins - the offer for the larger HDD expires at midnight :D

yes at midnight they probably change it to 80 gb with the way things go in the computer world :D

Originally posted by astroboy
the delivery and customer 'empathy' leaves a bit to be desired tho

Yup, I know what you mean. Get plenty of ear-bashing from customers (which is why I prefer working channels rather than customers :D ).

It's something we've been hearing a lot about in recent years internally in the software group - customer satisfaction, delivery completeness, solution assurance. There's some programs coming in to play to try and follow through on these issues more carefully - the cynical employee would say "beauracracy", the optimistic employee sees it as a necessary change in focus for exactly the reasons you pointed out :D

I do find it ironic that in our particular market segment (the one I myself work in) - we are achieving a quite a few of what we call "competitive win-backs" where we successfully convince a customer to migrate over to our software after they had already purchased competitive software. One of the biggest criticisms labelled towards our competitors was lack of support and follow-through !! So we're not the only ones.

I do feel that IBM is finally starting to lose a lot of its arrogance towards customers and really trying to become more customer focussed - and "empathic" as you put it. At least that's what I see management striving for in our little corner of Big Blue - so it's a start. Naturally, I'm not on the outside to observe whether it's working, so I can't comment on our progress - nor can I comment on the state of things outside my segment of the IBM universe. But I do see changes happening inside for the better.

And also, don't forget that until this last week (subject to FIRB), IBM Global Services Australia was NOT really part of IBM... so I take no responsibility for services delivery of any description. Go blame Telstra and Lend Lease for that :D

nice car for not much?

back onto the car topic.....

for those that would like a nice car for not much overall, how about this for an idea.... please note the figures are just rough guidelines.

Purchase dream car for say 58K on a lease with repayments of 1300/month and a residual of say 24K at the end of 2 1/2 years.

At the end of the 2 1/2 years you have paid say 42K. If this was as an individual on say 42% tax rate, you get 17500K back, which means you have paid 24500 over the 2 1/2 years. (I hope I got that right) Of course, since we never leave home without looking at properties, all car expenses are tax deductible.

Now, you partner/spouse comes along with their own company and purchases the car for 24K (the residual amount). Lets they can then sell this 2 1/2 year old car for 40K (you would want to make sure the car of choice holds its value - something like a BMW series 3 or 5).

They are now 16K in front and this will offset the 24500 you paid over the 2 1/2 years. So effectively you have paid 24500 - 16000, or 8500 over the 2 1/2 years.

In other words you have driven a 58K car for 3400 per year!

Now I could handle paying that much to drive a brand new car every 2 1/2 years.

.... Now all I need is to find the extra 1300 per month initially.... but I will let you guys play around with the numbers... we are looking for high repayments with a lower residual to see if we can get this even better.

.... Guys, please don't take this too seriously, just a play with numbers to see if we can get some of that delayed gratification sooner :)
After all, money is just an idea! ;)

steven said:
Hi Duncan,
Interesting topic, I know very little about leasing, but i have been thinking about the pros and cons of leasing a $5500 lap top for a new buisness venture,
The pros as I see it could be, the tax deductions on payments,
and the ability to upgrade to a new model when needed, as the technology on pc/lap tops seems to become out dated rather fast,

But as i said I know very little on this subject so I would appreciate any info.
Regards Steven

First up I run own a laptop repair business.
Don't waste your money on that kind of laptop, it is purely for he person who just "has to have" the best, you know the type, working, working, working but looking good on the outside.
New laptop innovations are coming every 3 months or so, ANYTHING you buy now is out of date in 3 months - get something cheap, you can upgrade in 2 years, have paid less and have a better laptop at the end.

PS. I sell new laptops from $1200, put the other $4K into something useful.

Sim said:
www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=8661239&cntrfnbr=1&prmenbr=1&cntry=036&lang=en_AU&scrfnbr=89&shoptype=D&cgrfnbr=8655975]IBM ThinkPad G40 23885BM[/URL]

$2999 list price.

Same Specs Ecs-732 (marketed as Excel in Australia) = RRP au$2280 and a 2 year warranty and an ATI M9 graphics card with 64Mb dedicated memory

The two things never mentioned in laptop specs that are very important are:
1. Video card type (onboard or shared memory) are cheaper and slower
2. Hard Drive speed this is the most important thing in a new laptop, what is the use of buying a Porsche with a Holden Red Motor in it?

Most laptops come out with large capacities but only 4200rpm speed, this will slow down any new laptop to the speed of an olden day "quick" P3-600, saw one of hte new high priced 17" screen laptops from Toshiba the other day, the hard drive was so slow and noisy it was disgusting that they did not spedd the whole $20 difference and put in at least a 5400rpm drive.

The newest laptops are coming out with a 7200rpm hard drive, this bring laptops finally up to speed with a desktop computer, this was the last limiting factor.

If you are buying a new laptop, check these two things and always enquire for the 7200rpm HDD, it only costs $150 more and gives a huge performance increase.

HHH said:
At the end of the 2 1/2 years you have paid say 42K. If this was as an individual on say 42% tax rate, you get 17500K back, which means you have paid 24500 over the 2 1/2 years. (I hope I got that right) Of course, since we never leave home without looking at properties, all car expenses are tax deductible.

I think it would be difficult justifying a 100% claim for business/investment use though?

100% car claim

Hi There,

I don't agree.

Have a home office? of course. You drive from work to work? (home office to employer work) - probably.

Other times, we all check out prospective investment properties every time we go out dont we? I reckon you do, you just don't realise it.

I am not saying i do this, or recommending anyone else does.

However, there are rules to the games we play, we just need to understand them better.

Back