Tricks of The Rich and Infamous

Why does everyone thing "Old" cars are smoke producing crap heaps ??

My car's a '90 Fairlane on LPG / Unleaded. Doesn't blow smoke, usually very reliable (Hey at just shy of 400,000km's, I'll forgive the very rare incident. Last "issue" was a failed oil sensor - leaked oil rather rapidly.....). Still, I'd think nothing of jumping in and driving a few hours away - enough for me to be in another state!!!

It's comfortable, has all mod cons (Tinted windows, Air, Pwr Steer, Climate Control, Cruise, Elec windows, CD stereo etc etc), and spacious - important with a family. And cheap to service :)

I'd like a new car too. But how can I justify spending $55,000+ to get anything like a new version of what I currently drive. My car's worth probably $3,000 to $4,000. I bought it around 7 years ago for around $10,000.

Of course, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a battle to stay on track - especially when people around you are riving really slick cars - like HSV Clubsports, 200SX's etc..... :(

To each their own, just dont think cheap means nasty......sometimes it just means less expensive....

Cheerio.

Simon.

sbe said:
My car's a '90 Fairlane on LPG / Unleaded. Doesn't blow smoke, usually very reliable (Hey at just shy of 400,000km's, I'll forgive the very rare incident. Last "issue" was a failed oil sensor - leaked oil rather rapidly.....).

mmm... I remember an "incident" with my parents' XD Falcon station wagon back when I was living at home while still in school. Oil sensor failed and leaked oil rather rapidly while I was on my way back from a BBQ out in the mallee.

Managed to limp back into town with the engine making horrible noises (as happens when it is drained of oil and still running !) and my friend knew the right people to talk to, found a replacement sensor in good condition, filled it back up with oil, and it was good as new. Errr... well, at least, as good as it was before the sensor failed, which wasn't terribly good. I was lucky no major damage was done to the engine !

Car usually blew quite a bit of smoke, but not as much as a lot of the other cars on the road in that area !

You shoulda seen the spreadsheets I put together for my wife a few years ago to show exactly what the implications are for the various scenarios.

She could choose between:

1) a company car - fully paid for, not a cent for us to spend (toyota or something)
2) a novated lease - up to some value, cant remember now
3) a car allowance - 17K per year.

I straight away knew it was a no-brainer.

We ended up buying a one owner cherry red 94 318i, and over the years are waaay ahead of the other options - we MAKE money after everything is taken into account.

3?

Hi There

I am interested in what you have to say...

assuming it was it option 3..

What can you tell me about travel allowances?
Are they subject to FBT and what do you need to justify them?

thanks

Yeah it was 3.

Accountant takes care of it all.

Essentially you have to run a log book for a while, documenting whenever you use the car for work purposes. I cant remember how long we filled it out for, but after a while you can stop, work out the %used for work, and apply that for the next x (5?) years or so. Just dont get greedy.

So then - you claim a % of fuel, maintenance, servicing, car washing, other costs etc. You even get to depreciate it, which I hadnt included in my original calcs.. If you buy well (desperate vendor) , then sell well (hey, leave it on the market and see what happens) you can sweeten the deal even better.

No FBT that I know of. Not sure what you mean by travel allowance - the company was paying a set amount per annum for my wife to provide her own company car basically.

I'll see if I can find the spreadsheets.

Ta

Hi

By Travel Allowance, I did mean Car Allowance, sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for that, I will look into it a bit further.

As far as I can tell after reading this thread, safety has only really been mentioned once or twice. Think of a newer decent vehicle as an insurance policy on your most important asset - you.

If you spend any significant amount of time on the road, a more recent vehicle is ultimately going to be safer. With technology and design many a crash that was lethal 10 -15 years ago is now not only survivable but even walk-away-from-able...

No good being the richest man (person) in the graveyard.

That doesn't mean that you can't still buy sensibly. Certain vehicles hold their value immensely well. But I'd never buy a Falcon or Commodore new...but a 2 year old ex-gov. car from the auctions can be pretty enticing - near new, but let the gov. wear the 40-50% depreciation over that time.

But just recently we bought a brand new Forester. Reliable, efficient, versatile, very safe, in demand and hold their value big time, plus Subaru had a very appealing deal going...however, we also had the cash to do so.

Safety's not to be sneezed at.

That why you should make sure whatever you drive has good tyres (and I mean good, not the cheapest - the difference in grip is amazing. My current tyres are so good, it's just too hard to spin them :rolleyes: )

Everything else should work, seat belts in good nick etc.....

I also like the fact that my car's big enough the you'd have to hit it pretty damn hard to reach the cabin (you seen the length of the bonet / boot ????)

I was hit from behind at the lights by a bloke who was daydreaming. I hit the gas (well, I was going to go through the lights in a second when he hit me anyway), and probably shaved 8-10km/h off impact speed. He skidded and hit the car around 60Km/h. I'd hate to have been in a brand new compact tin can on that one - it'd run out of crush zone me thinks.....

Have to agree on the ex govt cars though...... worst of dep'n gone, nice car...... (m u s t f o c u s . .. . m u s t f o c u s ....)

Ah, there's another couple of years left in the ol girl yet. Gotta wear out those silica tyres first...... :D

Apocalypse,
it might be possible that the ex-Govt cars are being sold at a profit. Purchased by the Govt. at fleet rates, and tax-free, I wonder what their purchase price is for a Comm/Falc/Toy/Mits?
Terry

sbe said:
Safety's not to be sneezed at.
My No1 safety feature is anti-lock brakes. (after looking over the side of a cliff in Tas) Cruise control and comfort also help primary safety. Air bags and crumple zones are good secondary safety. I am not convinced "heavy metal" counts for much though.

You don't need to spend $55+ dollars on a new car either. Check out a Camry @
http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/Toyota/Toyota-Avalon-GXi.cfm
I think anyone with an old car would be pleasantly surprised at just how good new cars are. I have a 5yr old Honda V6 which cost a lot more than a Camry new but may not be much better.

I also find it cheaper to buy a car you really like, even if it's dearer to buy and then keep it a few years longer than you might otherwise. We did this with our Honda Integra. Still a smart looking car and was always a pleasure to drive. It was 13yrs old when we got rid of it. The V6 lacks it's character and won't last as long. It's FAR safer though.

Thommo

saskatoon said:
Apocalypse,
it might be possible that the ex-Govt cars are being sold at a profit. Purchased by the Govt. at fleet rates, and tax-free, I wonder what their purchase price is for a Comm/Falc/Toy/Mits?
Terry

We bought our Falcon Forte at Pickles car auction in Belmore Sydney - www.pickles.com.au about 2 years ago - ex Government car, we paid $13,200 for it with 60,000 km on the clock (2 1/2 years old at the time) same car age/km's were selling for upto $18,000 at used car dealerships.
Runs well and could not be happier.

Well worth looking into.
:)

Simon H

Hi Simon,
what I meant was the price the Govt pays for the cars when it purchases them!
I have visited the Govt car auctions here in Adelaide - the prices realised are about the same. The auctions here are now run by a Govt. dept., not by a private co., as was the case some years ago. (My brother worked for the private auction dealer then.). I think the best deals are on the Berlina/Fairmont specification vehicles, as they tend to be used by senior staff, rather than as patrol cars or plebs like me!
Mind you, one of my current veh. is a 1987 Volvo wagon, in exc. condition, bought from a mate for it's trade-in value of $1,700; had recond. motor & trans, new radio & near new Mich. tyres, roof rack - excellent for carrying stuff for my current renovation (Note: blows no smoke!!).
The savings over newer vehs. will pay for the renovation costs.
Terry

Back