tricky situation. what would you do?

So I got a job a few months ago and they asked if I was looking long term. I said yes. They told me they're sick of putting employees through expensive courses and have them leave soon after. So. He put me through a course and asked me again, are you going to stay long term? I said yea, so long as my pay goes up as duscussed (hasnt yet but only been 1 week since Im qualified now. So today. Im on another course! He said that if I leave within 1 year I hace to pay him back for these.

So, Tge Wife & I are off o/s in 5 months for 2 months and I would like some more time off after that. Will only have 3 weeks max hol pay at the point we leave (which I wouldnt see if he deducts for courses)

Do I talk with the Boss now and tell him? Do I keep it a secret and tell him close to the date? I do like the job but at tge same time am not concerned if the company wont take me back after the time off either

What would you do?

If the concern is the courses then I don't think he has a leg to stand on.

How does he think he is going to make you pay for them? Was it part of the discussions at the time you took the job?

This is just part of doing business.

Cheers

Id tell the boss now.
a) its the right thing to do.
b) the industry you work in is smaller than you realise
c) whats the worse that can happen? I dont think you can get the sack immediately for giving notice of taking unpaid leave.

"2 months and I would like some more time off after that. "

I don't know the industry, but it's not normal to expect 2 ++ months off after working just ~ 8 months.

If I was your employer I'd be showing you the door. If we'd arranged this at the point of job offer (often happens - I've got my dream holiday booked for 9 months time etc) then that's a totally different matter. You should have been up front with the employer when offered the job.

I do like the job but at the same time am not concerned if the company wont take me back after the time off either

This is what is wrong with the Australian work force today. If you haven't worked it out yet, it's not all about you. You are extremely fortunate they created the business and got it to the point where they were able to create a job opening for someone.

Unfortunately for them, they chose you.

It doesn't matter what anyone else would do. You're only asking the question because you know it's the wrong thing to do to the boss who is trying to manage the company as best they can and know you as an employee are about to **** them around.....again.

Have some integrity and tell them fully your intentions, so they can once again begin the search for someone who actually wants and needs and appreciates the employment.

It's not tricky at all.

Investor2009

Not sure what reaction you would have expected here, empathy for your scenario:rolleyes:

This really brings back bad memories for me when my partner was running a small business having to deal/get screwed by employees with this mentality.

Are you entitled to unpaid leave after such a sort period of time?

If I was your employer I would be very upset that this wasn't discussed earlier.

Ed. This wasnt planned when I started. And Im willing to go back after my break. But also am not phased. Plenty of work in Darwin let me tell you! Id probably prefer casual jibs cause semi retired by then

This is what is wrong with the Australian work force today. If you haven't worked it out yet, it's not all about you. You are extremely fortunate they created the business and got it to the point where they were able to create a job opening for someone.

It doesn't matter what anyone else would do. You're only asking the question because you know it's the wrong thing to do to the boss who is trying to manage the company as best they can and know you as an employee are about to **** them around.....again.

Have some integrity and tell them fully your intentions, so they can once again begin the search for someone who actually wants and needs and appreciates the employment.

It's not tricky at all.

As I previously posted (as an employer) I think the op is a bit of a knob in this situation. But we don't have all the facts.

If the employer is constantly having short term employees then they are probably doing something wrong too.

Are they paying way below market pay rates?
Are they treating their employees like excrement?
Other?

When sending people on +5k courses at my work, we get the employee to sign a declaration stating if they leave within 1 year of their own volition (i.e. not a redundancy situation) their payout will be adjusted accrodingly for the cost of the course.

The Y-man

Ed. This wasnt planned when I started.

Okay - so it wasn't booked when you started with this job ... but at some stage along the way you decided to go on this holiday and (I assume) make the travel bookings knowing you won't have enough holiday time stored up.

Surely it would've occurred to you to mention it to the boss BEFORE confirming the travel and (potentially) putting down a deposit.

To me that is just basic consideration for others that your actions are going to impact on.

Sadly common courtesy is such a thing of the past (shakes head in despair)

Thanks everyone. Well put :) i know I seem like a bad employee. And I am! Rob K taught me well.. I don't "need" a job and am not meant to be an employee. Thats why I started investing. Took a while but alls coming to fruition. Were all different and my reason for living is much different to most folk. Labouring is not my purpose but a means TO my purpose. Do what others do and youll be just like them. Thanks for the offer, but no thanks

Thanks again.

It's not tricky at all.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6977713408/h1318C5A7/

So today. Im on another course! He said that if I leave within 1 year I hace to pay him back for these.

Maybe just have a talk to the person paying all the bills and see what they think,,down the track the negative effect of reputation longterm may stay with you,.imho.

Hey Ed! Thanks for the kind words :) love you too mate

They pay pretty average and many people in Darwin are jumping on the Inpex wagon and there are loads of other largr projects. Plus employment is very easy to come by here. Tge boss actually said to me at the interview "you cant be too picky in Darwin"

To give you an idea how things are here, Ive been working with Irish backpackers more-so than locals. There arent any!

Look, Im not a bad guy. And Im not going to feel like a bad person because I go and live my lifr the way I want to. Anyone who puts what strangers think ahead of tgeir own is in dire straits. It is NOT wise for me to do as my Boss wants me to do. Period. Ive done tge hard yards

As I previously posted (as an employer) I think the op is a bit of a knob in this situation. But we don't have all the facts.

If the employer is constantly having short term employees then they are probably doing something wrong too.

Are they paying way below market pay rates?
Are they treating their employees like excrement?
Other?

aarrrgghhh just arrrggghhh.
Goes away and bangs head against brick wall.

OP is not now and will never have any intention of manning up and accepting any responsibility with this issue.

Hopefully his employer puts procedures in place to recoup the cost of expensive courses, for future wage takers (can't call them "employed")

The karma bus has a long memory. Not that i would wish ill on anybody :cool:

Back