tricky situation. what would you do?

As I previously posted (as an employer) I think the op is a bit of a knob in this situation. But we don't have all the facts.

If the employer is constantly having short term employees then they are probably doing something wrong too.

Are they paying way below market pay rates?
Are they treating their employees like excrement?
Other?

What they are doing wrong is (imho) employing people who don't have all the necessary skills and needing to train them without any recourse. They probably have the noblest of intentions, to help people better themselves and they are getting bitten on the proverbial.

I would suggest that once these people are gaining the qualification from the training, they are moving to greener pastures.

What they are doing wrong is (imho) employing people who don't have all the necessary skills and needing to train them without any recourse. They probably have the noblest of intentions, to help people better themselves and they are getting bitten on the proverbial.

I would suggest that once these people are gaining the qualification from the training, they are moving to greener pastures.

My employment contract says that I'll repay any training undertaken in the prior 12 months to me leaving.

My employment contract says that I'll repay any training undertaken in the prior 12 months to me leaving.

Yes, most employers do that. I have done it with my staff and I have worked with that arrangement myself. It is certainly not a new thing to expect an ROI on employee courses.

I'm not sure what this "out grown the rest of us" attitude is all about.

Many of us here don't need to "work" for funds - or don't "work" already. To us, this situation is simply and basically about common courtesy towards other humans beings ... rather than the job or training itself.

In my books - if I say I'm going to do something that affects others, then I take on a personal obligation to do such to the best of my ability - if circumstances change due to something outside my control then I let the person I made a commitment to know as soon as possible and try and work through a solution.

I find it rather disturbing that you see no problem with committing yourself (several times) to someone else, they have gone out of their way investing their time and money to get you sorted for the obligation you have agreed (several times) to undertake ... but think nothing about voluntarily breaking your commitment in secret and believing that it's just tough cheese for the other party.

In so many ways it's wrong - and means your "word" is effectively worthless.

To me this is no different then someone breaking a contract to buy a house the week before settlement, not turn up on the day to play music at a wedding, put down the family pet because it no longer suits their lifestyle or a myriad other "obligations" one takes on in life that affects others.

If that makes us "unworthy" in your eyes - then so be it.

I'm not sure what this "out grown the rest of us" attitude is all about.

If you grew at the same rate as investor2009 you would understand that living cheap in a third world country is what it is all about.

But you didn't grow so you live like the rest of us fiscal pigmys who like clean running water, law and order etc.

I find it rather disturbing that you see no problem with committing yourself (several times) to someone else, they have gone out of their way investing their time and money to get you sorted for the obligation you have agreed (several times) to undertake ... but think nothing about voluntarily breaking your commitment in secret and believing that it's just tough cheese for the other party.

I think its called "lack of integrity".

i'm lucky to have a very flexible full time arrangement here, but i can take all the unpaid leave i like.

i just have to give good notice. recently took 2 weeks unpaid for a bali trip.

why would your boss fund your lifestyle without something in return? if it were me in his shoes, i'd just say 'lets terminate this' and give you the option.

sorry, but them's the brakes. negotiate upfront or wear the consequences.

Hi D.T

Do you have to pay it back from wages after tax or before, do they/can they garnish your wage, or do they have to chase you for it. What happens re: claiming a tax deduction for the course as they may have claimed it also?

So I got a job a few months ago and they asked if I was looking long term. I said yes. They told me they're sick of putting employees through expensive courses and have them leave soon after. So. He put me through a course and asked me again, are you going to stay long term? I said yea, so long as my pay goes up as duscussed (hasnt yet but only been 1 week since Im qualified now. So today. Im on another course! He said that if I leave within 1 year I hace to pay him back for these.

So, Tge Wife & I are off o/s in 5 months for 2 months and I would like some more time off after that. Will only have 3 weeks max hol pay at the point we leave (which I wouldnt see if he deducts for courses)

Do I talk with the Boss now and tell him? Do I keep it a secret and tell him close to the date? I do like the job but at tge same time am not concerned if the company wont take me back after the time off either

What would you do?

I'd tell him about the time off plan and see what is said

Three times you have said you are looking long term and will stick around, you stated this at

• Interview
  • Course 1
  • Course 2

It costs money to recruit and put a new employee on, it also costs money and time when employees are on courses, the employer has put some faith and trust in you and hopes to recoup his investment in you

Back