Trinity Beach Cairns

Hi

I have been introduced to a house and land package that looks interesting but I'm not familiar (only through google) with the area, any insider information would be great :)

Thanks in advance

Trinity beach is probably the best beach in Cairns. It has long been the preferred beach for locals.
Trinity Beach is undergoing large scale development and upgradeing, it is close to the university, large shopping centre and only 10 mins to Cairns air port. All in all, it is a vibrant and evolving part of Cairns.
As for house / land packages, I would as always, do my due dilligence and compare similar propertie sales in the area, rental yields, depreciation etc.
Hope this helps,
Cheers

Trinity is not my preferred beach! It's changed so much in even the past 5 years and the beachfront is mostly taken up with tourist and holiday accommodation. I was shocked a couple of weeks ago when I walked to the southern end of the beach and saw the erosion that's occurring. It's possible to live in Trinity Beach and not be anywhere near the water, but that's OK. It looks like sugarcane fields are being developed near the highway end of the suburb and I imagine that there would be lots of house and land packages available. Why don't you jump on a plane and have a look for yourself? It's going to be a bumper mango crop this season, if that's any incentive!

Cheers

Don't know enough to comment on the area but in terms of house and land packages just be careful that you are not paying too much. Check prices of exisiting houses in the same suburb - you may be able to get an older house in a better location for less $. If this is the case I would pick the older house with better location as you may lose a little tax benefit but probably get better capital growth. Sometimes developers over charge for the bells and whistles. If you like the location, you think there will be limited supply and the price represents good value then go for it.

I agree with Bernly. Trinity Beach is now very commercial, the loss of the pub devastated me - The Fountain on the Mountain was our refuge, to just sit and look out to the sea or the mountains and sip a Chardy when we visited Trinity and now its gone!!!

I think Bernly is on the right track with the houses being along the Highway and quite a long way from the beach. However, if its for renting then it would still be close to the Uni and not far out of town, check out the rents for the area.

Chris

The houses being built on the highway are at "Trinity Park", if this is the area you are looking at, there is probably better value closer to town, that's just my opinion.
Trinity Park is a fairly generic development, the sort you see everywhere....
Trinity beach when compared to similar places like Palm Cove is no where near as developed, yes I agree that it is alot more commercial than it was 5 years ago, but it is still not as "touristy" as other locations in Cairns.

Cheers,

Hi

I have been introduced to a house and land package that looks interesting but I'm not familiar (only through google) with the area, any insider information would be great :)

Thanks in advance

Where in TB is the package. As far as I am aware, there is no land available on the ocean side of the highway. (Other than vacant blocks scattered and individually owned.) Is it maybe Trinity Park (Bluewater Canopy Dev.)?

Whichever it may be, IMHO you are better off buying a block and contracting a builder to build a turnkey dev. for you. In my experience H&L packages are usually loaded with developers margins. In one instance I researched, the difference between these methods was $50,000. Needless to say, I went with the turnkey. There are a few very good builders in Cairns that are experienced in this method.

I have one build about halfway complete in TB (Seabreeze Estate, land purchased in March,07 - CG $30k) and have just purchased a block in Canopy for the next one.

The northern beaches area seems to be the more desirable and therefore entry prices are higher with similarly higher rental returns. Keep in mind that CNS is a cyclone area and building costs are exponentially higher than further south. My current build is around $1200/sqM including landscaping and pool.

Whichever way you go, just be sure to do thorough DD.

Cheers Chrisv

I agree with Bernly. Trinity Beach is now very commercial, the loss of the pub devastated me - The Fountain on the Mountain was our refuge, to just sit and look out to the sea or the mountains and sip a Chardy when we visited Trinity and now its gone!!!

I think Bernly is on the right track with the houses being along the Highway and quite a long way from the beach. However, if its for renting then it would still be close to the Uni and not far out of town, check out the rents for the area.

Chris

I lived in trinity beach for years actually about 4 and even when I didn't live there spent most of my weekends hanging out the I used to love lunicos I would go done there regulary they completly ruined a great pub...

I went there about a month ago to the new "pub" and all I can say is bring back the trinity beach tavern.

For anyone that is buying a house there it is about 2-3 years of doubling in price in that area again I bought in 99-2000 and sold in for double in 2001 so on average that area will have to boom again very soon especially with the new devlopment going in there and all the great infastructure and by far its still the best looking beach anywhere close to cairns

Get in now if you want a piece of paradise..

Currently i am working OS and am interested in trinity park. I will be home in about two months too have a look at a block of land. Chrisv could you give more detail on the area and why you chose the canopy estate and not something on harbour drive prices dont seem much higher. Also have a few other questions if you or any one else can answer.

1. I have heard some reports of heavy fees for residents on ongoing dredging reports. Is this just for waterfront properties?
2. For a 200000 dollar block what are the other fees involved in purchasing. eg taxes.
3. I have lived in cairns many years ago and remember this area being bad for sandflies and mossies, how has that worked out now and should you avoid certain areas
4. Seems like lots of blocks still available, am I safe to wait till I get there in December to buy or is it hot and I need to look now?
5. What are the best streets or subdivisions to buy?
6. How is the marina looking and when does it officially open. How will this area work as a commercial venture
7. Lastly I have a couple of small kids, does anyone have reports on the primary education in Trinity area??

regards
tika

Chrisv could you give more detail on the area and why you chose the canopy estate and not something on harbour drive prices don't seem much higher.

The answer to this question is covered by your "other question 3." I also like the higher blocks with views. We have purchased lots 646 and 647.

I was initially attracted to Canopy because I am familiar with a number of the developers sub divisions here in the west and they have always been very successful and of very high quality and standard. It may help if you had a look at the building covenants for Canopy.

Also have a few other questions if you or any one else can answer.

1. I have heard some reports of heavy fees for residents on ongoing dredging reports. Is this just for waterfront properties?

Have not had any experience with this but have heard that it is happening. We have an IP on a lake in WA and started paying a $50 levy to have a pump installed to maintain water levels. Only thing is, since then the lake has been near dry for the last three years but the levy stays.

2. For a 200000 dollar block what are the other fees involved in purchasing. eg taxes.

Budget 10%. Stamps about $5600 plus conveyancing, soil test etc.

3. I have lived in cairns many years ago and remember this area being bad for sandflies and mossies, how has that worked out now and should you avoid certain areas

Yes, that would be the way to go. If you want to find out, spend some time in the area you are attracted to on a still (windless) day and leave the rid at home.

4. Seems like lots of blocks still available, am I safe to wait till I get there in December to buy or is it hot and I need to look now?

Ours are in stage 6a which was released a week ago and more than 50% sold. Very few left in other releases. Prices also increase with each release.

5. What are the best streets or subdivisions to buy?

That really depends on how much you want to spend. You can buy a block in Seabreeze (Kewarra Beach) for $2210k upwards, if you can find one. $165k in March when I bought.

6. How is the marina looking and when does it officially open. How will this area work as a commercial venture

Have not been there since March so can't help.

7. Lastly I have a couple of small kids, does anyone have reports on the primary education in Trinity area??

Heaps.

regards
tika

The northern beaches area seems to be the more steady upmarket growth area. The southern areas seem to have short bursts of growth and then stabilizes.

These are my obs and they may be way off the mark so be sure to do your homework well.

Cheers Chrisv.

I went for a drive through the Bluewater estate area today. It looks much more attractive right now as the weather is just superb at the moment. Some months ago, I was searching for a place to buy and looked at it then, but the mozzies were rampant and the place smelt very swampy due to the long wet. I have since learned that the EPA has reported some 3 quarters of all known QLD mozzie species live in that area.
The marina is starting to look the goods, with some monsters going up in there, although there must have been an oversight by the developers regarding parking for the vehicles with boat trailers attached, as they were parked everywhere that they could get to, mostly up on grassed verges and in garden beds. I have heard there is to be a Tavern or something similar in there too but I didnt see any sign of that. I was able to get down to the "beach parking area", although I did have to drive past some signage warning of prosecution for tresspassing, so a check with the council would be in order to check on the future of the beach access there.
As with all property purchases, there is no substitute for seeing it for yourself. Some people seem to have no issue with certain aspects that would terrify others.
I am astounded by the amount of development going on in the northern beaches at the moment. I have property in Clifton beach, and just about every available bit of vacant land is currently under construction or is planned. Mostly units, with some multi level constructions going in which could indicate developers beliefs that there is going to be quite some population growth going on in this area in the near future.I personally would like to see an expansion project happen for the captain cook highway(maybe there is one planned, I dont know).Peak hour enroute to the city or back out in the afternoon is as painfull as anywhere, and with the growth, it is only going to get worse. The new "Argentia" development between Clifton beach and Palm Cove is going to be very nice. If you can afford it, this is one area that will appeal when its completed. I think this may be why there is much building going on in Clifton, probably anticipating increased valuations in the next couple of years.
Hopefully this is the case, but I would live in Clifton regardless of that as it is a very nice beach suburb.Mostly residential with some commercial along the esplanade and a great beach.
Just my thoughts, do your own DD.
Cheers.

I'm another one who avoids Trinity Beach, Trinity Park, and all the other little trinities around Cairns. Mozzies and Midgies are certainly a problem, especially near the water (ocean or canals).

I first visited Trinity Beach over 30 years ago, and even then it was pretty touristy....and hasn't changed in that regard.

I think you can get better value for money at the other beaches if an IP is what you are after.

Back