Trip to Hong Kong

HI a few weeks I (and daughter) will be stopping over in Hong Kong for 2 nights on the way back to Australia. I have never been there before and have no idea on where to stay or what to do, what to see etc.

Has anyone any tips?

Do you like to see colonial history, timewarps? I like Stanley, Repulse Bay, catch Star ferry and then the double decker bus - the antithesis of the authentic Chinese experience but nostalgic colonial. Like to stay at the Langham and enjoy the afternoon tea there rather than the flashy Peninsula. Hope you enjoy your stay whatever you decide.

Stayed at the Quarterhouse. Very central and friendly staff with reasonable rates. If you have a chance take a ferry to Macau and see the Show " The House of Dancing Water". Spectacular!
Hope you like crowded places!

My favourite spots and hints:

1. Take the Peak Tram from Central up to the hills of Hong Kong Island, preferably on a non-smoggy day. For other great views of Hong Kong, the ICC Sky 100 deck is another good spot, the observation deck is 400m above ground level in Hong Kong's tallest building.

2. Walk the length of Nathan Road on the Kowloon side of the harbour - a number of Hong Kong's key retail and markets are in close proximity from Tsim Sha Tsui through to Mongkok. This is best done at night when all the signs are lit up. If you get tired, the Tseun Wan MTR line runs directly under the road.

3. Night markets start mid to late afternoon and are numerous throughout Kowloon near Nathan Road.

4. Try the street food.

5. If you're there around 8pm, go to the Tsim Sha Tsui waterfront and watch the nightly synchronised light show of skyscrapers on Hong Kong Island being lit up.

6. Most of the touristy stuff is obvious from the street. However, because Hong Kong is so vertical, there are also a lot of hidden shops and restaurants that aren't obvious as they tend to be above street level. Worth paying attention and exploring.

7. Get an octopus card. These smart cards can be used on public transport, vending machines, convenience stores, fast food and other places. They are really convenient to have.

Terry
Love Hong Kong, going in September.
If looking for a great place to stay, try Marco Polo, location is wonderful, though will cost a bit.

+ what Norwoodman said.

Yup, as above, stay in TST MP, surely the price tag won't affect you too much
Since you are staying only 2 nights, you would need to consider the location of your stay Terry.

Also, by staying in this area you will be able to do most of the things on Norwoodman list

1. Take the Peak Tram from Central up to the hills of Hong Kong Island, preferably on a non-smoggy day. For other great views of Hong Kong, the ICC Sky 100 deck is another good spot, the observation deck is 400m above ground level in Hong Kong's tallest building.

Yep - this is what I was going to mention. Its an amazing view at night - take a tripod if you want to take some cool pics.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks guys.
What is the public wifi situation like there? Can you connect readily in cafes or shopping centres etc?

wifi is everywhere.

something you need to get used to is the crowds

food is awesome esp cantonese type - roast duck, chicken rice, yum cha etc.

I wish!

Get some dresses made! some shirts as well...
will try to fund her address.. a bit exxy, but in the end worth it!

Her name is Linda Chow... ask your concierge. She's pretty famous,
I brought her some antique Japanese fabric, She used my favourite op shop dress as a pattern, and lined it with silk.
When I wear it old Japanese ladies smile at me!
It feels wonderful, fits wonderfully, made to measure!

cheers enjoy your holiday Seaford Sunshine

Last edited:
Hong Kong is shopping paradise for women; better than any place in Europe.

A lot of gold shops as well for jewellery near time square.

For drinks and bars, go to Lan Kwai Fong at night. Everyone here speaks English and a majority of the people are tourist or international white collar workers visiting. It?s an entire street full of bars and cafes and is open late.

Just arrived in Hong Kong tonight - so far so good.

Anyone in town?

I just got back yesterday, dammit forgot you were here Terry, could have had a intersting conversation with you about my trust :D

PS: many flights have been cancelled or delayed in recent days, pay close attention to it

Back