Triplex perth planning approval

Hi

I'm about to start my first triplex development in the city of bayswater

The plans have been in council since January and there's been a few back and fourths about some minor changes. Now all of a sudden they have requested that the access to the front unit is off the common property drive way and not have its own separate driveway. To justify this they have quoted r code 5.3.5 which is extremely broad when it comes to drive way placement. As u can imagine his will need a total redesign a push the project back

The triplex next door has 2 driveways as well as a couple of others in the street

Any ideas or arguments I can put towards the council

Thanks
MP

Well councils goal are minimal crossovers.
It could also be so that all cars come out forward. Is the road a fairly busy one?

I would be using the other developments to support the argument especially if they have been completed notto long ago.

Cheers

I've finally given up the fight with the council and conceded that the front unit needs to face the common driveway. (You guys where right about Bayswater)

The builder has come up with a few designs to the new unit but I'm not really happy with them. It was my idea to have the courtyard at the front of the house to use all the extra space due to required setbacks otherwise it would of been a 20 sqm box courtyard out the back. It's a really quiet street so I don't see any security issues but any feedback on this idea would be great. Am I adding in value or wasting money by having to build a brick fence at the front (not cheap)

As for the layout of the unit, I think there is a lot of wasted space with the long hallway and the access to the toilet, which can hopefully be reconfigured to increase the bedroom sizes. Are there any improvements to the layout that can be made

Thanks guys for the feedback

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 181
you have to get from the front to the back of the house - so a passage isn't wasted space.

if the toilet weren't stepped back, you could get a straight visual shot into it from the kitchen/living area.

unless you like Louis XVI style of palaces where you walk through each room to get to the next, bedrooms included….?

my only comments would be to reduce Bed 3 robe and put a small slider in (1450). otherwise the door has to be open to get any ventilation - and swinging INTO the room is just stupid.

put a verandah or similar to the courtyard, out the front. otherwise it won't get used much and will become a barren space. large courtyards sell well. you are utilising the space properly, but if it doesn't have a North boundary then you're in for another world of pain with Bayswater.

people like people-watching. front courtyards allow that, and having a vista over the street is better than over a terracotta or off-white colorbond roof in the backyard.

I think the design is as pretty much good as it's going to be considering the restrictions.

Suggestions:
- lots of skylights - laundry, ensuite, bathroom and maybe even hallway or it's going to be very dark.
- you could take out the wall between the hallway and the dining area if you want it more open plan and let more light in
- don't do a bricked in pantry in the kitchen, change it to a laminate one

I've finally given up the fight with the council and conceded that the front unit needs to face the common driveway. (You guys where right about Bayswater)

The builder has come up with a few designs to the new unit but I'm not really happy with them. It was my idea to have the courtyard at the front of the house to use all the extra space due to required setbacks otherwise it would of been a 20 sqm box courtyard out the back. It's a really quiet street so I don't see any security issues but any feedback on this idea would be great. Am I adding in value or wasting money by having to build a brick fence at the front (not cheap)

As for the layout of the unit, I think there is a lot of wasted space with the long hallway and the access to the toilet, which can hopefully be reconfigured to increase the bedroom sizes. Are there any improvements to the layout that can be made

Thanks guys for the feedback

I think it looks good.
I would like to see larger bedrooms, but you have already mentioned this. Resale, this is a big one.

Also, I think the elevation is a little plain, but with the fencing helps lift this, looks great.

On the point of elevation, with my current project my builder mentioned that for the sake of $5000 I could have a very ordinary elevation or really spruce it up, considering how important this is, in particular Unit 1, I decided it was worth spending $5000.

All the best on your project

MTR:)

Actually I have another suggestion.
The doorway that is between the dining and passage move it all the way to the left then move the linen cupboard to the RHS of it so that it lines up with the kitchen cupboards but faces into hallway. Your dining area is huge so it can take it.

Then make that bathroom bigger as it's pretty pokey with the door opening onto the shower

im personally not a fan of the master facing the driveway, i would try to rejig to have a secondary bedroom there although that would probably also mean starting all over again.

as mentioned by others the plan isnt a bad one actually but without knowing orientation of the block it's hard to say.

WM: Why don't you like bricked in pantries in kitchens? They are cheaper.

Bricks take up too much room when 10mm of laminate does the job - you gain 160mm by using laminate. It also allows for a look which is streamlined and matches the rest of your kitchen.

When you are trying to save space you can put in a 450mm laminate pantry and its still very practical rather than the 1000m or so required for a brick one. For that space you could put in a double laminate if you really wanted

I have generally found them to be the same price.

999697_1396040937284667_1784189796_n.jpg

Back