Trouble getting $5-6k automated blinds fixed under warranty

Hi all,

I had a Reflex Blockout blind by Shading Solutions installed in a residential property. The system cost between $5-6k to provide an remote controlled blind to two large windows (say 4m x 5m and 3m x 5m).

There were a few problems with it's installation, first one of the motors stuffed up, which they replaced (the company had switched to a cheaper motor to save some money but then it ended up costing them more as they had to replace them all). Secondly, a metal strip, originally attached with double sided tape fell off it (right in the middle of my bathroom! Lucky noone was there!).

I got in touch with them to fix this and ended up having an argument. My view was that this was a installation defect that they should fix for free and they kept sending me a $150 bill saying that I owed them for the callout fee. I refused to pay, they 'told me where to go' and that's where the situation was left.

I should also mention that the job they did to fix it was pretty rough (the metal strip is now bent, crooked with black rivets in my white walls), and that I feel I'm viewed as a 'pain in the *** residential customer', rather than a more profitable commercial customer that cares less about the quality of the work.

Fast forward two years, now one of the motors is stuffed again.

I understand the concept of statutory warranty and I believe a $5-6k blind system should last longer than 2 years.

I'm about to phone or email in another service request which I feel will be met with poor customer service. I assume they will insist I pay before they come out and for the full replacement price for the motor (which I don't expect I should pay, perhaps I'd pay half or something). What is the best way to deal with this?

To be honest I'm thinking of making my life easier by just trying once then going straight to Consumer Affairs if there is a problem. Honestly, it's stressful dealing with these guys and I don't think I'm being unreasonable - it's not my fault they tried to get away with cheaper parts which then ended up costing them more money.

David.

I figured I'd get a quote for the repair, and then try and talk it down from there (with a view to paying 40% of the cost, if you say such a system should give me 5 years of trouble free use).

Back