Troy Buswell suffers ?mental breakdown? - quits Cabinet

A hole = depressed. My bad.

Not sure what the guy is about or if he has a mental illness - not from WA - but unwell people can often appear to be A holes if in an acute phase because they're either untreated or not responding to medication, or abusing substances like alcohol and marijuana to self medicate.

Generally the more bizarre, erratic, or impulsive the behaviour, the more likely it is to be a mood disorder - I say 'mood disorder' because it covers more than the common 'straight' depression, which is the one least likely to make a person behave in a destructive and inappropriate way.

Regardless, moving him to the backbench sounds like the right thing to do. It's just a shame others in the past who have been guilty of worse haven't done the same.

Not sure what the guy is about or if he has a mental illness - not from WA - but unwell people can often appear to be A holes if in an acute phase because they're either untreated or not responding to medication, or abusing substances like alcohol and marijuana to self medicate.
Maybe start random drug testing just like in the mines and building sites as they get out of the tax payer funded car before the go into the tax payer funded coffeeshop before they take a seat on the bench..

Maybe start random drug testing just like in the mines and building sites as they get out of the tax payer funded car before the go into the tax payer funded coffeeshop before they take a seat on the bench..

Funny isn't it that anyone involved with machinery and vehicles gets tested yet we have thousands of people who are working under the influence of alcohol who never are tested.

I agree that they don't kill people by having an accident but they certainly make life difficult for those who have to work with the poor decisions made while under the influence.

Funny isn't it that anyone involved with machinery and vehicles gets tested yet we have thousands of people who are working under the influence of alcohol who never are tested.

I agree that they don't kill people by having an accident but they certainly make life difficult for those who have to work with the poor decisions made while under the influence.

I agree 100% they seem to get very good at receiving angry insults from each other and are trained to handle angry rants,so why should they be any different from hard working Police-Public servants that all are random tested no one is above the law..

I'm not saying he's taking drugs at all.

It usually becomes apparent pretty quickly if someone is unwell and taking drugs - it would have been exposed well before this if it was the case.

It's the past history of disinhibited behaviour that makes me think he could well have had a long history of being unwell, but has kept it under wraps, although nothing really explains having an affair with a Green :confused:.

We have random drug and alcohol testing in the office. Partly as keeping it equal to our rigsite mates but also because we make decisions every day which have million(s) dollar consequences on them. It is an absolutely DRY office (not even allowed to pick up a bottle at lunchtime, store it in the office to take it home for dinner drinking)

Agreed bullet or needle????

It's the past history of disinhibited behaviour that makes me think he could well have had a long history of being unwell, but has kept it under wraps, although nothing really explains having an affair with a Green :confused:.

For most people, until a person has a close family unit with a mental illness they will never truly grasp its effect.

Feel lucky that most of you can speculate on it.

And as much as IV believes that people must 'experience' to really learn and understand, this is one situation, in which I hope that it passes you by.

Troy was on his last chance, or last,last chance (not sure which) and I think they took a risk bringing him on board again. He's "accident prone" according to the WA Premier

Risk being = Likelihood x Consequence

The illness mentioned in the recent news maybe a bout of depression :confused:

Troy was on his last chance, or last,last chance (not sure which) and I think they took a risk bringing him on board again. He's "accident prone" according to the WA Premier
He was on his third strike.

And by the recent reports, his car made three strikes- all on parked cars- in one night.

I too think he is using depression as an excuse for abhorrent behaviour. Just another lie I think, but how unusual for a politician to tell tall story's. Shame on him

The plot thickens, we are now getting reports that there was a Police cover up regarding the number of cars he actually hit, this was not initially recorded until media got involved. True/False??
Also why he did not leave notes on the cars that he did hit?? Was he too drunk?? More speculation.

Rumours will continue at this point and I think Barnett should comment on this, seems like he is avoiding the issue, looks very bad for Libs.

The plot thickens, we are now getting reports that there was a Police cover up regarding the number of cars he actually hit, this was not initially recorded until media got involved. True/False??
Also why he did not leave notes on the cars that he did hit?? Was he too drunk?? More speculation.

Rumours will continue at this point and I think Barnett should comment on this, seems like he is avoiding the issue, looks very bad for Libs.
It does look like a huge cover up. I could not imagine police attending to the scene, seeing the smashed car, knocking at the door, no answer - police leave and don't follow up. Just doesn't add up!

although nothing really explains having an affair with a Green :confused:.
He may be like Quagmire from "Family Guy" - will have sex with anything that is breathing.

I have known a few adults in my time who clearly keep on making bad decisions in regards to behaviour - despite their supposed age, intelligence and position.

Some of these folks have had affairs and from my observation are people who probably never should have gotten married, because in hindsight reviewing their pattern of behaviour; it was always going to end in tears.

Maybe Troy is one of those types.

The drink driving? I don't think you can blame mental illness on that one.

I agree his behaviour has been bad. He appears to have had a history of bad behaviour.

I don't agree that it's typical of the far right.

Personal bad behaviour and political leanings are two different and separate things.

It can be a symptom of power. Possibly there's worse behaviour in politicians than in other people.

Or possibly politicians are scrutinised more closely than people in other professions.

I'd say high pressure job plus plenty of money and power equals bizarre bahaviour. I've seen some similar things from some senior executives in the IT industry.

Wouldn't have survived in most normal workplace's, though parliament doesn't seem to be a normal workplace

TROY BUSWELL?S ?TURBULENT? CAREER

January 15, 2008 - Then deputy leader of the WA Liberal party, which was in opposition, Mr Buswell apologises for snapping a Labor staffer?s bra and cuddling up to a fellow MP while drunk in parliament in 2007. Also apologises for making sexist remarks to another MP.

January 17, 2008 - Elected Liberal Party leader.

April 28, 2008 - Denies allegations he sniffed the chair of a Liberal staffer, writhing in mock sexual pleasure.

April 29, 2008 - Breaks down at a press conference after admitting he had sniffed the staffer?s chair.

May 16, 2008 - Liberal backbencher Murray Cowper says he was ?squirrel-gripped??, or grabbed in the crotch, by Mr Buswell, but the issue had been dealt with.

June 17, 2008 - Survives a second leadership spill.

August 4, 2008 - Resigns as leader following reports of dismal internal polling of his election prospects.

August 6, 2008 - Colin Barnett installed as Liberal leader.

August 8, 2008 - Mr Barnett appoints Mr Buswell treasury spokesman.

September 2008 - Liberals form government in coalition with Nationals after state election ends in hung parliament. Mr Buswell takes on treasury, housing and works, and science and innovation portfolios.

October 21, 2009 - Mr Buswell called on to resign all portfolios after he admits to accidentally signing-off on a false expenses claim.

November 30, 2009 - Second travel allowance mistake is found.

April 26, 2010 - Admits to an affair with Fremantle Greens MP Adele Carles after she reveals it in a newspaper.

April 27, 2010 - Resigns from cabinet.

December 14, 2010 - Brought back onto the state government?s front bench, taking on housing and transport.

February 20, 2011 - WA opposition calls for him to be sacked for traffic offences.

February 21, 2011 - Admits to a poor driving record but says that should not disqualify him from being the state?s transport minister.

June 28, 2012 - Reinstated as treasurer as part of a cabinet reshuffle.

December 9, 2012 - Ms Carles accuses Mr Buswell of inappropriate behaviour at a party attended by corporate heavy hitters.

December 11, 2012 - Mr Buswell sues Ms Carles for defamation.

February 19, 2013 - Mr Barnett forced to defend ``accident prone?? Mr Buswell during a leaders? debate ahead of the state election.

November 4, 2013 - Mr Buswell accused of abusing his power by intervening to get his son a driving test appointment on a day when no regular driving tests were scheduled.

March 6, 2014 - Mr Barnett says Mr Buswell?s ?health related?? fortnight of leave from cabinet will be explained on his return.

March 10, 2014 - Mr Buswell resigns after suffering a breakdown.

I hope he gets his act together

Back