Tuart Hill WA - multi dwelling townhouses?!

Hi all, was interested in peoples thoughts of this development's floor plans as per the upper floors pic in the ad, where what is obviously a multi unit dwelling development is being marketed as townhouses. Just wondering if having a single unit spread over 2 levels is a clever design idea...or just taking the p#ss while bending the RCodes.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-wa-tuart+hill-114630919

Looking at the floor plans in the ad I can see the designer has either slightly overlapped the adjoining unit's upper floors around the stairs, or overlapped the unit's bathrooms, I can only assume to get these through as multi dwellings as per this part of the RCode definition, to 'ensure any part of a dwelling is vertically above part of any other'.

Obviously suburb/site specific in terms of your end product, but off the bat would others think a 2 story 'unit' be worth more and/or more in demand than an equivalent sized/specd single story unit? To live in an apartment, I would certainly prefer to only have neighbours left and right, without also having a neighbour either above or below. Looking at 'regular' OTP units with floor plans over one level in Tuart Hill, these 2 story units do appear to be advertised (and selling) for more.

So is having a unit spread over 2 levels something new in multi dwelling design...or is it just new to me?

it's a 'feature' to ensure it complies with the Multi Dwellings rather than Grouped Dwellings and therefore they could get more on the block.

Realistically Joe Blow can't tell that is what was done and will consider it a simple townhouse and be willing to pay more.

So yes it will fetch more money and yes it's a good idea if you can do it.

2 of the 'apartments' Blackminster are doing in Mindarie are 2 storey and might be marketed as townhouse. They do have a whole apartment above on the 3rd floor though.

I would like to know the size/sqm of these??

Not sure about taking the p..., Its clever marketing, townhouses very appealing in this area, with new townhouses starting at around $690+, so this gives buyers an opportunity to jump in at $399K, where this price range will be in the main older units and more $. This I think will be a very sweet price point for FHB, young professionals wanting to be close to the CBD.

There was similar product sold about 12 months ago in this area, they flew out the door.

Thanks Myf
That's a reasonable size for a one bedder.

The way things are going in Perth I think apartments or whatever you want to call them are the way to go now, however I guess the key is not to jump into areas where there is an oversupply of this stock.

Jump into areas that have good infrastructure and be the first to build these or get in the early stages before there is an oversupply. Originally I thought I would not want to be a trail blazer, but now thinking totally the other way. Geez, that happened quickly:p

Thanks Myf
That's a reasonable size for a one bedder.

The way things are going in Perth I think apartments or whatever you want to call them are the way to go now, however I guess the key is not to jump into areas where there is an oversupply of this stock.

Jump into areas that have good infrastructure and be the first to build these or get in the early stages before there is an oversupply. Originally I thought I would not want to be a trail blazer, but now thinking totally the other way. Geez, that happened quickly:p

Welcome to the world of no comparables. On the flipside you determine the market :)

Thanks for the opinions ladies, definitely something to consider if looking into designing/building apartments.

Having your units spread over two floors could differentiate one apartment development project from others in the nearby area in a very positive way for both the developer and buyers.

Courtyards & balconies may have to be narrower in most cases I guess, again dependent on how much land you have to play with.

Makes those corner lots (or very wide frontage lots) even more valuable for the options they give.

Back