TV reception

If I don't have cable TV at home, do TVs these days still need to be plugged into the antenna on the roof? Or do TVs have built in antenna? I do have an antenna on the roof but there seems to be only one room with a plug.
Alex

Hi Alex,

Definately need to get it into that roof antenna to get a good signal. I'm using digital now so even went a mast head amp to boost my signal into the strength range I needed to hold a qulaity picture. Even having done that it breaks up to an unwatchable state when its raining outside.

Anything you shove on the top of your box will get you buy and might be OK for a broken analogue signal, but you really should get a better antenna to do the job for you.

I ran quad shield coax all around the house when I was building and put a patch panel in my wardrobe where my antenna cable comes to. I use a splitter there to send the signal to the two rooms I've got idiot boxes in at the moment and the other rooms haven't been terminated yet, they just have blanks or cat 5 PC network connections at the moment. I also ran the cat 5 all around the house too and to the same patch panel.

Cheers,
Michael

Have a look at the DTV forum, you can run your HD TV from a small in room ariel, it's just a lot better to hook it up to a nice roof top ariel. But the little ariel does work. You JUST have to get the right one and point it in the right direction and have it set to the correct length.:D

http://www.dtvforum.info/

cheers
Graeme

Last edited:
I have a huge hill behind me so no matter what we did we could not pick up reception with pushing the aerial way up in to the air. I could never get SBS, plus ABC always had snow, so invested in a satellite dish and a card which gives me all the free to air channels around Australia. I have a choice of which SBS to watch, Qld, WA, SE etc., fantastic!!!

It cost me around $850 to set up plus I purchased a tv with set top box built in, but they are one off costs and I now have a great picture.

Chris

TVs don't have a built in antenna. You can plug one in and stick on top of the tele if your signal is strong enough.

If not, you'll need to plug into the wall outlet. If thats in another room you can run a long lead on the floor to your tele or have another outlet installed in the room where you want to watch tele.

It's just that I have no existing TV, and strangely enough I've never bought a TV and plugged it in in Oz, so I actually don't know what's involved. I'll get cable TV eventually.
Alex

I bought a portable usb tuner for my laptop. Only problem is the mickey mouse antenna it came with doesn't work so ASUS tell me to plug it into my TV antenna point.

Kinda defeated the whole purpose ...

Uh, I don't have plans to live in a third world country? You must have me confused with some charitable chap.
Just by saying "if I don't have cable TV" - the only reason I could think of for not having it would be because you're in the middle of the Sahara desert or something... :D

*THUD*........ ok, just picked myself up off the floor! :eek:

Nah, fair enough Alex, I watch too much TV, but don't think I could ever go to zero.

*THUD*........ ok, just picked myself up off the floor! :eek:

Nah, fair enough Alex, I watch too much TV, but don't think I could ever go to zero.

Hence why I'm buying one. Problem is, I've never actually bought a TV in Oz, having been overseas for so long. So I don't even know whether you have to plug it into the roof antenna or whatever. I'll get cable TV, but I figure it'll take a while.

Obviously I have broadband.
Alex

I have a huge hill behind me so no matter what we did we could not pick up reception with pushing the aerial way up in to the air. I could never get SBS, plus ABC always had snow, so invested in a satellite dish and a card which gives me all the free to air channels around Australia. I have a choice of which SBS to watch, Qld, WA, SE etc., fantastic!!!

It cost me around $850 to set up plus I purchased a tv with set top box built in, but they are one off costs and I now have a great picture.
Where'd you get this, and do you need a license? We can only get country 10 and SBS, both with major static. We can get digital TV if the weather is perfect, which usually only happens at about 2am :mad: The other half looked into satellite but it seemed you either needed a license or a damn good excuse to hook into satellite. Most folks in these parts have Austar payTV.

Rumpled Elf

My local antenae chap did it for me, apparently its very common. Its a Strong brand receiver with a card in it connected to the satellite dish.

Chris

Back