Tv - Show Renovators #2

Well, we had nothing better to do this afternoon, so thought we'd check out the Blacktown house. While some things were absolutely stunning (the pool) there were many things that were underwhelming.

As you step into the front room the first thing I noticed was the floor covering. It was filthy, probably from all the people that had trampled through it, but it just looked rather cheap. The main bedroom had a stand alone wardrobe, not large enough for a couple and it looked a bit like one of those cheap melamine ones that you can pick up for next to nothing. It had some wall paper on the side that faced you when you walked into the room.:confused:

Going to the next bedroom, it was rather small. A nice single bed and tallboy, but no wardrobe, not even a stand alone one. Instead, there was a very small portable hanging spaces on wheels, the sort you can pick up for around $20. There wasn't really room to put a wardrobe into the room either.

I didn't really notice much about the other bedroom.

The bathroom was nice. I quite liked that, however the laundry was long and narrow. More than enough room here. In fact I would have probably cut the space in half to give the adjoining room some wardrobe space. The doors on the cabinet did not close properly, the outside of it was a matt finish (dirty) and should have had a gloss face piece there to match the doors. The window had been inserted, but there was quite a bit of grotty yellow colouring on the outside which should have been cleaned off.

The small deck in the part that adjoins the old and the new just didn't work for me. It wasn't badly done, I just didn't like it. The other side wasn't my style either, where it went around the tree. Yes, it would give a nice feature, but the yard area just had some mulch on it and didn't look finished. Again, this could just be my taste on this one.

The lounge, kitchen, dining area were nice and so was the deck that led off of it. The pool was lovely and I loved the pool fence. It just gave the home a really nice feel.

The standard of the painting throughout the home was OK, but again, I had a feeling that they had to rush to do it. It would have really annoyed me. There were many parts where the cutting in was not very good. There were other parts where there were paint spatters as well as other areas where there were missed parts. For example on one of the skirtings, the first coat was done, then the second however the second had quite a lot of uneven parts to it, so that there was only one coat on that part (did that make sense?). Maybe I'm too fussy when I paint?

The landscaping looked nice, however when you get to the end of the path the mulch just pans out into the lawn area. A very quick, cheap plastic garden edging would have fixed this and it would have looked a lot neater. The finish at the back of the pool, looking back from the lawn area, looked like it was unfinished. The little cabanna had a wooden floor which was very obviously secondhand and unfinished.

There is a long driveway going into the yard but it stops at the fenceline, so from the gutter to the fenceline there is no cover, just the dirt. I found that part quite strange as it wouldn't really have cost that much to finish the driveway. And lastly, you have no undercover area for a car.

Somehow I expected so much better.

So what's everyone's early predictions for the overall winner? Regardless of who I'd like to win, I think it will come down to between Michael & Peter. If anyone already knows the answer please don't spoil it for me!!

As for whatshername (the nurse) - I'm sure I saw body language that said her and Nathan had become 'a bit too friendly' ;) Also, did you notice when she got eliminated there was no catch up back at the working bee when the survivors usually meet up with the rest? Probably couldn't put it to air 'cos of comments made by the other girls. I don't think there was any love lost between them and her. In fact it was obvious sometimes that they couldn't stand her!

We visited the Castle Hill house yesterday. I think they ran out of money. They just put gravel on the drive way and landscaped only half of the backyard.

There is a photo of Nathan in the study. Looks like either he, Michael or Peter will take this.

I've got my money on Peter - assuming he isn't eliminated and the house goes to someone else.

Wasn't he thrilled to see Lisa again last night! Interesting to see which ones "didn't" get hugs ... and who weren't there at all

Agree that the Parra team appears to have run out of money- the back room isn't for everyone with the polished concrete floors but I have to give them kudos for restoring those ceilings- what a job!

Though I haven't seen them all I'm still loving Blacktown. Yes, agree that they could have reconfigured the floorplan better to accommodate a 4th bed and ensuite but I'm sure funds had something to do here :)

Can't wait to see who wins at the upcoming auctions. Anyone here going to them? They're all being held onsite over three nights.

I'm disappointed that the Blacktown house didn't have a glass breezeway or at least full width window looking over the courtyard.

Perhaps it was a financial decision - but would have look soooooo much better than a gyprock wall and pizzy little window.

Be interesting to see a breakdown of costs. I think they all did really well on what was, honestly, a small budget, considering the amount of work done and changes made.

A 10% budget is what you'd allocate for major cosmetic changes - not adding massive rooms and full yard landscaping. (says me who is allocating a 12% budget for our reno :eek:).

Pity Lisa didn't come back - I am sure Peter wanted her much more than Sam. Wasn't Natalia's seat magnificent ... lurve it! She is one really talented lady who will go far as a metal sculpture ... wonder how I get my commissioned piece in before her prices skyrocket?

I'm sure they had a 20% budget, and some of them really did well to stretch it as far as they did.

What they got done with the budget they had at Blacktown was amazing, there is no doubt about that. I was more disappointed with some of the finishes more than the size of the reno with this home. If anyone less talented than Micheal had been reno'ing this home, I'm sure they could not possibly have done as much.

With those chairs, Natalia's one was completely outstanding. I'd love to have one of those too. Fantastic job!

Yes, I thought it odd that Augusta picked Sam, if he really was doing it for Peter. I think Peter's remark indicated what he thought about the decision!:eek:

I'm sure they had a 20% budget, and some of them really did well to stretch it as far as they did.

Sorry - you are right. They were still small budgets for the amount of work done tho.

Could see Peter wondering if he could ask for a swap. I too thought it strange to "not" choose Peter's obviously and vocalised preferred option. It's not like Sam was going to be a hinderance ... if they wanted to peeve Peter off they would have choosen the hippie - otherwise, why not go for Lisa? Strange.

if they wanted to peeve Peter off they would have choosen the hippie - otherwise, why not go for Lisa? Strange.

Or Kim! She didn't get on too well with the orange group before, but I suppose she actually did some work, unlike the hippie guy.

Last night's vertical garden challenge was a good one- I'm no green thumb but I thought they all did a pretty good job considering the amount of time they had. Agreed with the judges on the two bottom ones- though Jason's looked messier to me.... but what would I know about anything involving plants!

Stratically I would not have given somone to Peter's team I would have chosen someone for my own team.

Natalia, is one helluva talented lady, think she could already command higher prices for her work.

Michael, gotta keep saying how sweet that boy is, I would be proud to call him my son, although without those awful dreadlocks. Really do hope he wins, following the Renovators on facebook comments appear to be high that this is the favourite team to win.

It was filthy, probably from all the people that had trampled through it, but it just looked rather cheap. The main bedroom had a stand alone wardrobe, not large enough for a couple and it looked a bit like one of those cheap melamine ones that you can pick up for next to nothing. It had some wall paper on the side that faced you when you walked into the room.:confused:

So they followed Robyn's suggestion on the wallpaper to the second hand melamine wardrobe - as seen on tonight's episode ;) And the dirty carpet was from all the mud walked in due to the rain.

I must admit I was gobsmacked when I saw they were bringing in a s/h melamine wardrobe for a house being completely renovated - I would have thought a built in would be an automatic inclusion. If they were trying to keep their budget down (which they were) I would have erred on the side of a quality smaller house.

As for finish, when you have SO MUCH to do you do tend to not take quite as much care as if you were doing just a small part of the job ........ it does wear you down after a while. A few weeks/months later after you have had time to recover from working 12-18 hours a day 7 days a week you sometimes look at things and wish you had taken just a little more care at the time .....I'm sure you can relate to this Skater ;)

I'll have to try and get out their to have a look at the houses, did not realise they were open for inspection yet although they mentioned on tonight's show that the auction was in 4 weeks.

Pity Lisa didn't come back - I am sure Peter wanted her much more than Sam. Wasn't Natalia's seat magnificent ... lurve it! She is one really talented lady who will go far as a metal sculpture ... wonder how I get my commissioned piece in before her prices skyrocket?

I can't say I have ever looked at Natalia's seat ....oh, you mean the QLD metal one :D Yes, it was a nice work of art, may leave an imprint on your backside though and I wonder if all the small gaps between the branches were kid safe - no little fingers getting wedged. I did not like the pipe backed seat - too many potential injuries on the end of each pipe. The red seat would double as a BBQ in summer :eek: The green seat was a good all rounder - practical and attractive.

As for choosing Sam to come back and put on Peters team - would love to know the strategic reasoning. Peter was so impressed he could hardly hide his feelings, but maybe just disappointed he did not get Lisa. You would have thought that the choice would be to your direct benefit or to throw a stick in the spokes of your strongest competitor. Has anyone got any ideas on the reasoning?

Last edited:
seems that Sam and Peter have "completely" different styling taste with Sam, currently staying quiet, but voicing her dislike of what Peter has done on the video diaries ... that might be the stick in the spoke.

As for finish, when you have SO MUCH to do you do tend to not take quite as much care as if you were doing just a small part of the job ........ it does wear you down after a while. A few weeks/months later after you have had time to recover from working 12-18 hours a day 7 days a week you sometimes look at things and wish you had taken just a little more care at the time .....I'm sure you can relate to this Skater ;)

LOL! You know me too well! :eek:

Honestly, the finish on some was a lot rougher than what I would do, & you know my thoughts on taking hours doing something that can be knocked over a lot quicker.;)

One thing I did notice though, was that when we walked through the home, there were a lot of people "Ooohing & Ahhing" about things that we had noted were not quite right, so I guess, like everything in life, you only see what you are looking for. My 'thing' is painting, so I saw every part that wasn't up to scratch.

I haven't watched Friday's episode yet. I'll have to see if I can find time to watch it.

Been busy and missed a lot of the shows so I am disappointed that the show may not be back next year in the current format.

Watched tonight's show, saw Natalia crying and Jason suggesting to her that not having to face elimination has been a good thing!

Emotions, emotions get them under control.

Cheers
Sheryn

PS
Another contestant, is it Keenan who has a tattoo up his arm like Christie?
Body art that can't be changed.

Back