Tv - Show Renovators #2

Just going over the figures which Dexter put together. The terrace was the one which lost the least amount of money when taking all winnings into account - only lost $3k. But if you factor in all the work that the team put into it which has not been priced in, it is still a big $$ loose.

Oh, and of course holding costs! The money pit just gets bigger. I wish channel 7 etc would show just how much money each property actually lost! :D

If the media made a bigger issue out of the REAL costs of doing a reno, they may scare of some of these people I have to compete with at auctions who pay too much because they have not done the figures properly. PLEASE :D

Maybe the judges also will renovate one next time? :D

apparently barry is a successful renovator developer investor - and has already retired. he probably got bored and came back for the show.

i can't stand peter's beard.. fu manchu style.. get it cut man..who is going to take you seriously in a business meeting with that beard.

i can't stand peter's beard.. fu manchu style.. get it cut man..who is going to take you seriously in a business meeting with that beard.

I don't think anyone could take him seriously. Not only is the beard a joke, nearly everything that comes out of his mouth isn't worth listening to.

Would be good if competitors could do their own research, negotiate/buy and whatever they like including subdivision. Next one should be called “The property investor”. Anyone keen to go for the second series?

So what you are saying is that the viewers were deceived?

SYD

I think deceived is the wrong word here. Any necessary editing was to speed up the process for tv viewing, as you can imagine how boring and drawn out some of these auctions can be, considering they went up by $1K at a time for some 10-20 bids.... It's got to be entertaining remember? :)

Would be good if competitors could do their own research, negotiate/buy and whatever they like including subdivision. Next one should be called “The property investor”. Anyone keen to go for the second series?

Exactly my thoughts Don :) Give them each $200k to invest, with loans up to 80% LVR, 2 year timeframe and go for it. I'd definitely be up for that one :)

It would be difficult to control however, as they could get their mate to sell them a bargain and make it look like they were a genius negotiator, or their builder mates give them special pricing.

Exactly my thoughts Don :) Give them each $200k to invest, with loans up to 80% LVR, 2 year timeframe and go for it. I'd definitely be up for that one :)

It would be difficult to control however, as they could get their mate to sell them a bargain and make it look like they were a genius negotiator, or their builder mates give them special pricing.

There was a great show from the UK where a successful property developerr (Gary McCausland - who also did other property developing abroad shows). Here is a lift from the net -

Gary is presenter on Five's flagship program 'How to be a Property Developer'. Using a fly-on-the-wall approach, Gary observes two teams of hopefuls who try to accumulate as much money as possible by buying and selling property. Each team had an initial advance of £250,000 and a time limit of a year. He gives them advice, watches how they use it and in the last programme informs them of their most clever and not so clever moves!

Some of them did a great job and made good money from memory, and others phaffed about (sisters come to mind) and didn't do so well.

I really enjoyed the show and think it was more "real" than the ones we have been dished up, though I have enjoyed them too. I enjoy pretty much any property show.

Yes I watched that one too Wylie.

Perhaps the show concept could be a mentoring style show, "Property X-factor".

Jan Somers, Steve McKnight, Nathan Birch, Cherie Barber, Mark Rolton and a few others each select a student to mentor, spend a week with them imparting all of their knowledge, then get 1 hour a week with their student to guide them over a 2 year period.

I would back the options expert as the eventual winner, if limited by money to invest, for maximum return.

I think deceived is the wrong word here. Any necessary editing was to speed up the process for tv viewing, as you can imagine how boring and drawn out some of these auctions can be, considering they went up by $1K at a time for some 10-20 bids.... It's got to be entertaining remember? :)

While I did not watch the whole series I was interested in the final show to see the results. You say the TV was different to real life. If that is the case I say the final show cast some of the buyers in a bad light and I feel deceived with what went on. To me the show now lacks creditibility.

I take your point that 6 auctions on the one show could be boring but that's no excuse for poor editing and production?

If deceived is not your word to described what went on, what is?

SYD

While I did not watch the whole series I was interested in the final show to see the results. You say the TV was different to real life. If that is the case I say the final show cast some of the buyers in a bad light and I feel deceived with what went on. To me the show now lacks creditibility.

I take your point that 6 auctions on the one show could be boring but that's no excuse for poor editing and production?

If deceived is not your word to described what went on, what is?

SYD

Is this different to anything else broadcast on TV?? There is always editing to either cut out the boring bits to fit the time allowed, or for sensationalism to make someone look better or worse than in reality. You only have to attend a few auctions to get an idea what really goes on .....passed in at xyz (but this was a VB $50k higher than last buyer bid, the phone calls by agents inside the house or in the back yard to the vendor for instructions when bidding has stalled - often followed by a whisper in a bidders ear and another bid not consistent with previous bidding which suddenly has the property on the market / sold.

I don't think anyone could take him seriously. Not only is the beard a joke, nearly everything that comes out of his mouth isn't worth listening to.

So true. How has it survived without someone cutting off all that effort :D
In the last week when the judges were visiting the contestants and giving them some help, Peter was the only one who I could not remember helping anyone by advice or manual labour. I do remember thinking - what has he brought to the show - other than that weird bathroom design in the warehouse that they tiled, and the concrete bath tub which would have looked more at place in a backyard with water lilies growing in it :eek:

Well I know this thread is old now, but having only watched the final episode last night as I have been away, I just wanted to comment and ask what you good people thought.

I had heard that Michael had won well before, gee was hard not to "tell" you that, and had to modify previous comments given I had wanted Michael to win.

All through Jarrod and Michael appeared to get on so well together until that final challenge when Michael won the keys. Gee I got the impression from what the tv showed us that maybe there was bad blood between them still. In no shots did Jarrod appear happy when the final result came in, he seemed restless and fidgety, he appeared to show no emotion at all, no hint of a smile at all. Do you agree?

Deena, that was soooooo last week. Who can remember that far back?

I'm just wondering what the heck I'm going to watch for my evening wind down ... no Renovators or Block, Big Bang (not on tonight), The Next Big Thing (finished last Sunday) ... might have to pull out the Grand Designs dvds for another cycle.

Nothing else seems to pique the interest.

Deena, that was soooooo last week. Who can remember that far back?

I'm just wondering what the heck I'm going to watch for my evening wind down ... no Renovators or Block, Big Bang (not on tonight), The Next Big Thing (finished last Sunday) ... might have to pull out the Grand Designs dvds for another cycle.

Nothing else seems to pique the interest.

Haha Lizzie I can relate (even if I was always going to watch it given our agency's involvement)... I find myself watching all the other lifestyle programmes. What do you think of Relocation Relocation? I'm really enjoying it, and know that there's a property coming up local to us pretty soon.... I also love Grand Designs and Selling Houses (Andrew Winter cracks me up with his subtlety!!)

Lizzie I am with you...I have bought some more of the old series of Grand Designs. Am also watching A Place in the Country and Under the Hammer but they are a bit old

I might have to go to the video store and raid the shelves....

Chris

Back