TV Wall bracket and wiring

Thinking of hanging TV on the wall (plasma so heavy) using one of those brackets and getting an electrician to run the wiring (speakers, PS3 etc) through the walls.

Firstly, the house is 55-60 years old- Just curious if the plaster-wall would still be strong enough to bear the weight. Not sure if plaster wears over time.... If anyone can give pointers etc that would be great.

Also, putting wiring through the wall -how much does it cost? Are there different ways of managing wiring or drilling etc? Not sure if the inside of the walls would be any different (older brick houses etc)

Plan to live in this house for another 4-5 years so not keen on too much spending.

TV on the wall is actually a bit of necessity as well since the little one is starting to stand up and looking ways to "push" or "pull" the tele all the time!

The mounting brackets are spaced for studs I believe. I wouldn't be banging it into the plaster. The other option would be hanging it off the roof trusses. Not really sure of the tackle required for this but would assume a reasonably heavy gauge eye screw hook thingo in the ceiling and some wire cable to hang the tv to the hooks at a length you require.

In saying this I have a 22 year old TV and haven't moved with the times. Good thing about it...........It's like a boat anchor and the children can't push it over.

But I have looked at the path your about to embark on. But technology is its own worst enemy there is always something better or it'll be cheaper next week...........so with that in mind I wait and wait and wait and will never have it.

I wouldn't be putting just into the plaster either. Even if you used 100 plaster anchors to spread the weight out over a large area, you'd probably just rip the whole sheet of plaster from the wall - so if you you're gonna do this, at least record it and put it up on youtube :D

If the walls are solid brick, then i'd cut into the plaster and clamp the wires in, fill with plaster filla and paint - a dullish and dark feature wall is a good backround for a tv aswell. I'd be doing all this myself aswell, wouldn't be too cheap otherwise I think.

Thinking of hanging TV on the wall (plasma so heavy) using one of those brackets and getting an electrician to run the wiring (speakers, PS3 etc) through the walls.

Firstly, the house is 55-60 years old- Just curious if the plaster-wall would still be strong enough to bear the weight. Not sure if plaster wears over time.... If anyone can give pointers etc that would be great.

Also, putting wiring through the wall -how much does it cost? Are there different ways of managing wiring or drilling etc? Not sure if the inside of the walls would be any different (older brick houses etc)

Plan to live in this house for another 4-5 years so not keen on too much spending.

TV on the wall is actually a bit of necessity as well since the little one is starting to stand up and looking ways to "push" or "pull" the tele all the time!

I have recently mounted my 50" panny (internal wall), it took me half a day (first timer). I used 80 Kg heavy duty bracket bought from Selby. http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/st...ail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=74520&c=84142&i=240723681

There is instruction in the bracket kit, how to mount. You may need the following tools for DIY.

1. stud finder (can get one from bunnings for $20)
2. Drill with recommended bit.

Normally electricians will charge $80 to $85 per hour for this work.

Good luck

Last edited:
So from what you guys are saying I gather the TV bracket goes into the wall studds. Those scaffold like wooden frames in the wall - like this one??

http://www.woodaware.info/fireframe/images/dynamic/Studs.JPG
or
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~tambrosi/arcade poster walls.jpg

That makes sense. So plaster wall (or the age) doesnt matter at all I guess.

Was thinking of hiring a handyman to do the bracket and an electrician to do the wiring.

Can do the painting and/or plaster filler stuff myselves.

Last edited:
I have hung lots of TV's on the walls and what I do is buy the brackets off Ebay,make sure you have solid wood behind it to hang,(use a stud finder)
To set the speaker wires up,put your wires "up" the wall behind the TV into the ceiling and then the surround speakers can be put anywhere in the room.
It really is very easy and new TV's don't weigh as much as you think.;)

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&...311&_nkw=tv+bracket&_sacat=See-All-Categories

If you're not much of a DIY'er geet a handyman to do mount the bracket (might as well get a fully qualified carpenter actually, the prices "handyymen" seem to be charging these days :p). The bracket get's screwed into the timber in the wall, not into the plaster or gyprock at all.

Depending what height you mount the tv at, and what height the noggins are at (the horizontal timber between each stud in this pic: http://www.a-frame.ie/data2/2_12_2009_16_44_16_LRG_gallery_19b.jpg) the electrician may have to cut a patch out of the gyprock to drill through the noggin. When he's doing this get him to drill out as much of the noggin as he can (for other cables).

Just the the sparky to run a cable for the new power point, and run the other cable's yourself if you want to save some money. Grab a empty switchplate (http://www.das.com.au/~/media/598965FF8E24EBD529B036CC0D06DC0C.ashx?thn=1&w=150) and feed tte cables from new tv point to the bottom.

If you aren't handy, and getting an electrician to install the powerpoint and antenna point anyway, then just get him to mount the TV bracket as well. It will probably only take him 15 minutes.

i did this about 5 years ago, in yarralumla, it was agood idea at the time, it was a new home and all, BUT i should have bought one of those low level units, as the room has no scope to move the furniture around now??
would i do it again perhaps, but only for my home that i will live in.

Plaster wall?

Im surprised a house that old has plaster/timber stud walls.

Id be expecting double brick for a house of its age.
please confirm.

Is it sitting on a slab or has raised timber floor with access below?

How is roofspace access, and what type of roofing? metal or tile? Makes a big difference when the sparky (me), is trying to fish out wiring from above, into the roofspace.

Yes it is surprising. Unless it is an extension. Which they usually do gyprock/timber stud internal walls.

What diff does it make if the roof is tile or metal. Do you mean a pitched roof vs. skillion roof?

Im surprised a house that old has plaster/timber stud walls.

Id be expecting double brick for a house of its age.
please confirm.

Is it sitting on a slab or has raised timber floor with access below?

How is roofspace access, and what type of roofing? metal or tile? Makes a big difference when the sparky (me), is trying to fish out wiring from above, into the roofspace.

its allabout fishing

Tile roofs are best for access to the wall cavity.

Just lift a couple of tiles and drop a string and sinker staright down. fish it out of the hole in the wall in the room below...Tie on your wiring and pull em up.

Run em across roof space to where you drop down opp wall for suround sound speakers etc.

Keep the wiring away from under any roof insulation.....

Most decent sparkies can unscrew a colorbond sheet (or section of) with a tek screw bit in the cordless drill faster than fiddling around with tiles above the cavilty or top plate. At least my boys found it faster. And they were good.

And your better off sticking a cavity king (or yellow tongue) up the wall than fishing downwards. Too difficult for a small hole.

Back