Twitter

Does anyone here use Twitter and can provide some tips on how to get the most out of it?
I joined recently and i'm following the usual guys like the Dalai Lama (I tweeted hi to him :)) and Charlie Sheen but still unsure about things like hashtags.
I have 7 followers but not sure why they're following me.

I primarily use it as an economic/finance/business news feed. For these topics it's about the quickest you will get news without a Bloomberg terminal.

You could use it in a lot of different ways, what did you intend to get out of it when you signed up?

Sometimes other users will follow you in order to get a follow back/get your attention...

I've mostly been using it as a news feed but it looks more popular than facebook.
It seems less restrictive because i can get comments directly from famous people but could never be "friends" with them on facebook. The biggest problem i see is privacy issues because anyone can follow you and see who you're following and what tweets you've made.

looks more popular than facebook.

there's actually less people on it, they just tend to post more as it's more socially acceptable to do so than FB.

It seems less restrictive because i can get comments directly from famous people but could never be "friends" with them on facebook.
some famous people will let you "subscribe" to their facebook updates so you receive some of their posts in your news feed without having to befriend them. Also, many have Facebook pages which anyone can "like" which also acts as a subscription service. Pages are different to personal Facebook accounts.

The biggest problem i see is privacy issues because anyone can follow you and see who you're following and what tweets you've made.

you can "block" people from following you but they can still browse your tweets.

Does anyone here use Twitter and can provide some tips on how to get the most out of it?
I joined recently and i'm following the usual guys like the Dalai Lama (I tweeted hi to him :)) and Charlie Sheen but still unsure about things like hashtags.
I have 7 followers but not sure why they're following me.
I really don't get it either but my husband is into it. I guess it's like - I have a strong interest in property/investing/economy and he has a strong interest in politics/economy. Neither of us want to spend a lot of time discussing our interests with eachother as we don't feel the same passion for them. My husband enjoys having conversations with politicians, newsreaders, economists, etc . Occasionaly we do seem to be on the same page from an investiving perspective from our different resource avenues. Sometimes we'll be watching TV or news and my husband will be pointing out people he usually talks to or retweet, following, being followed by, or whatever the jargon is. He has about 300 followers. Drives me insane sometimes as he uses an ap on my phone which goes off while I'm trying to get to sleep. Bleep "xxxxx is now following you" so if anyone has any tips on how to turn that off it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Drives me insane sometimes as he uses an ap on my phone which goes off while I'm trying to get to sleep. Bleep "xxxxx is now following you" so if anyone has any tips on how to turn that off it would be much appreciated!
Depends which phone. On iPhone go to settings, notifications, twitter- and turn off sound. I don't know about Android.

Quick Q: can tweets be deleted and will any retweets of that tweet also be deleted?

@softmonkey thanks for the info on google+ but it doesn't sound like you can communicate directly with famous people which twitter allows?

@AaronSice what draconian gov't legislation are you talking about? Is that the one where the gov't are monitoring all internet activity including emails through your ISP and can access it years later? I'm assuming that's your real name so what's the difference with posting something on fb / tw or here on a public forum?

@softmonkey thanks for the info on google+ but it doesn't sound like you can communicate directly with famous people which twitter allows?

Yes you can, it's even easier on Google+. You just write a post privately to them (replace "Public" with their name only), or reply to one of their public posts. You can go further and reference them in any public or private post (even one to a third person) with a + prefix, ie. +Dalai Lama. In all three of these methods, they will receive a notification of your post.

No, and no.

But it's a great way to get a "look at me, look at me" moment I suppose.

As hobo-jo pointed out you're doing the exact same thing by posting on somersoft but the audience here is probably a few thousand views at best, a few hundred more likely.
If you posted the same on twitter you potentially have billions who can read your post and reply to it.
Here you can be the big fish in the small pond which you might find more comfortable :)

Yes you can, it's even easier on Google+. You just write a post privately to them (replace "Public" with their name only), or reply to one of their public posts. You can go further and reference them in any public or private post (even one to a third person) with a + prefix, ie. +Dalai Lama. In all three of these methods, they will receive a notification of your post.

Ok thanks for the info and I will look into it properly when I get to a PC.
The google+ Dalai Lama link you gave before definitely has richer content vs twitter.

As hobo-jo pointed out you're doing the exact same thing by posting on somersoft but the audience here is probably a few thousand views at best, a few hundred more likely.
If you posted the same on twitter you potentially have billions who can read your post and reply to it.
Here you can be the big fish in the small pond which you might find more comfortable :)
If I'm considered a big fish we're all on trouble. :D

When I start posting stuff like "Hey; I just made some toast" or "feeling a bit tired today" then it would be the same.

That's the sort of crap I see on facebook, not Twitter, but if any I follow started posting their every movement I would swiftly unfollow ;)

When I start posting stuff like "Hey; I just made some toast" or "feeling a bit tired today" then it would be the same.

A lot of the stuff on Twitter that I follow is property/politics/design related, and is usually a link to an interesting article, photo or some such.

If you chose to use it to follow vacuous celebrities that is your own business.

I think Twitter recently jumped the shark when they made some changes in API usage policy which affects a lot of the way in which 3rd parties can build useful applications and tools to work with Twitter.

Most users won't see much difference from the front-end (other than some of their favourite Twitter tools and apps disappearing and more adverts appearing in their timeline) ... it's the developer ecosystem which is suffering.

App.Net (aka ADN) is the Next_Big_Thing ... think of it like a paid version of Twitter without all the adverts and spam-bots. It's early days yet (it's only been online a few months) ... but they've already got nearly 30,000 paying subscribers and a lot of new applications being built to take advantage of the eco-system being developed.

Anyway, I wrote a bit about Twitter back in the early days: http://somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=525926&postcount=43

Note that Somersoft has a Twitter feed showing links to new threads: https://twitter.com/Somersoft

When I get time, I'll set up a new ADN account for Somersoft and have new thread links posted there too.

Back