Two Principal Places of Residence?

CGT Exemption?

I have a question on CGT exemption as my situation is a bit complicated:

I bought a block of land and built a house in 2006 (Property A) and moved into it and lived there until 2009. Then I decided to rent it and move into another property (Property B) that I built in 2009. I have been living in property B since then. Now my question is:

1. If I decide to sell property B now and move back into property A, will property B be exempt from CGT (property B has been my principal place of residence for the past 2 years)?

2. If I decide to sell property A at a later date, will it attract tax or it will remain exempt from CGT (because it has been rented for less than 6 years)?

Thanks!

1. If I decide to sell property B now and move back into property A, will property B be exempt from CGT (property B has been my principal place of residence for the past 2 years)?

Yes, as property B has always been your PPOR.

2. If I decide to sell property A at a later date, will it attract tax or it will remain exempt from CGT (because it has been rented for less than 6 years)?

No, it's not CGT exempt. The 6 year rule assumes you rent out your PPOR and do NOT have another PPOR.

If you sell A after claiming B was your main residence then A will have CGT applicable as you cannot have 2 main residences at the same time (except for limited cross over period when moving properties and selling one).

Back