two townhouse development

Hi all,

Its finally coming up to the stage where I am going to enter the development game.

My plan is to build 2x townhouses on a nearly 700sqm block in Melb.
I am organising financing to cover the expected cost of 250-300k per townhouse.

Block is approx. 16m x 42m (16m is the footpath side) with a gentle slope.

Each townhouse will be 20-25sqm.

Porter davis has suggested that I can fit "Hedielberg" at the front and "Westbrook" at the rear with both properties joined at the gargage in the middle.

http://www.porterdavis.com.au/homes/dual occ/heidelberg
http://www.porterdavis.com.au/homes/dual occ/westbrook

My intention is to sell one and keep one (depro + neg gear).

I previously had a custom prelim design done which was proposed to council but never got to working drawing stage as I did not have the finances to proceed at the time.

Few questions.

1. Architect designed or project builder? I would like to know the main pros/cons

2. Is a feasibility study useful? How much should I expect to pay?

3. What nice features to have? Real estate agents in the area mention that a balcony over the gargage and downstairs masterbed are good selling points.

4. Are the porter davis floorplans good? :rolleyes:

I will upload the architect plans from the earlier proposal soon.

Hi all,
Few questions.

1. Architect designed or project builder? I would like to know the main pros/cons

3. What nice features to have? Real estate agents in the area mention that a balcony over the gargage and downstairs masterbed are good selling points.

it all depends on which council you're dealing with, certain councils likes great designs (i.e. lots of land scape, your dwelling needs to suit neighbourhood character, facade shape and design, etc)

1. If you're going to Volume builder such as P.Davis, then you need to make sure your council + neighbour will not object to the designs (once again, knowing exactly where you are helps)

2. everything needs $$$ and if you dont know if its feasible there is no point doing this at all. so YES its a must, and if youre doing it the first time i highly recommend engaging a professional (at least for the first time)

3. agents sometimes only cares about whats easy to sell (therefore making their 1.5 - 2% commission) once again you need to know whats best in the area, remember extras costs alot more too.

4. Their plans might work for yourself but might not suit your potential buyers at all (depends on the age group of your potential buyers).

If you can share more info, PM me the suburb and the whereabouts of your property, happy to give you my thoughts on it.

SC.

Are you considering using PD to build with, or were just looking at their designs?
I would choose your builder carefully. I have built 3 times and the first was smooth, the second a disaster (after the builder, who incidentally built the first place, went bust just before laying the slab for the second!), the third (recently finished) went smoothly - this with a Hotondo builder.
Interestingly, the tenants in number 3 are currently building their own place nearby with Porter Davis .... and are not happy campers so far!
I think the big builders don't seem to care once they have your deposit.
Keep a close eye on your bottom line and make sure you have EVERYTHING included in the final quote... save you stuffing around at the end trying to find the right people for those little jobs... window coverings, landscaping, antennas, gates, etc (and keeps the price down too - cheaper for them than you to pay for those things).

Primaus, I had a look at the two PD designs. I find it a bit odd that the entry to both of them takes you straight past the toilet door. Also, I'm thinking that with the size of your block you could go slightly larger with each of them??

Why are you using Porter Davis for a development? You do realise that people know exactly how much these things cost to build?

Hi all,

As others have mentioned, why Porter Davis for a project like this? Without sounding too biased, an architect(custom)-design would aim to optimise your site (orientation, features, size, views, etc.) I would assume your architect would have done this on their plans.

Feasos are a must.. I say again.. a must. Some architects/bdesigners with the right (development) experience and skills will be able to help you. Some Tplanners, PMs could do it too.

Take a REA's opinion with a heavy pinch of salt. Seek multiple views. Depending on the market in the area, you could be building to a price, or building to a targeted buyer.

Provide a understated design feature or element to create a point of difference for your development - this helps to differentiate your project from the competition and sells itself to prospective buyers.

With the size of your block, you could easily fit 3 units/town houses. A feasibility study would determine if two town houses or 3 town houses/units is more profitable. You may find that all your profit comes from the 3rd unit.

The council is likely have you chopping and changing your design which is not a major issue if you have an architect. Likely to be a major issue with a project builder who can't change location/size of bedrooms/toilets/study nooks etc.

Primaus, I had a look at the two PD designs. I find it a bit odd that the entry to both of them takes you straight past the toilet door. Also, I'm thinking that with the size of your block you could go slightly larger with each of them??

A toilet near the entry is ideal for those times when you are on the way home and just busting to go.

Feedback

I am also looking to step into my first Dev in Melbourne and an absolute pre-req for me is doing the feasibility as it drives many inputs and evaluations you may not have originally determined. It also should offer an understanding of what attributes affect outcome and when they start to place project under risk.

I have also just built with one of the "Majors" and had enough insight to believe that unless you get through planning with absolutely no challenges and minimal information supporting your design then good luck with PD effecting any changes as they strictly cookie-cut their designs (I have to say, it depends on who you deal with at PD - they can be good as an advocate or simple go through the motions)

An architect would work in with feasibility and potentially offer options to maximise your development and make it stand out (desirable, profitable) from a KMart house site.

Just my initial thoughts - will be following you with keen interest and thanks to this forum for opportunity to learn with others . . .

Just to echo what everyone else has said it's not the best option to go for a big builder as the project will not be tailored for your block and its constraints.

Sure there might be some dollars saved in construction however as Brendon has indicated, a private planner / building designer / architect can give a detailed feasibility study and get the best bang for your buck. Having a personal touch to project from these professionals will most definitely reduce headaches and issues from a major builder.

If you need any help on processes and subdivisional info I'm more than happy to help you out. All the best with it!

Cheers,

Back