typical yanks

I think that they are so sure that they have the only culture on the planet that the rest of us have no history, culture, inside jokes etc. I can't believe KFC bowed to it and pulled the ad.:eek: Would it have been deemed racist if the aussie cricket supporter had been an aboriginal actor instead?

To me, someone calling this ad 'racist' speaks more about their stereotypical perceptions more than mine.

I see supporters of two different cricket teams. Some people see black people and white people and take offense at that. Which person is the racist one?

It's been my experience that the people crying racism are usually those who behave in a more racist manner. People in the US who judge Australians based on Australian media content designed for Australian audiences are making a judgment. Australian and US culture are very different. If we're expected to behave in the same manner because we generally look the same, then that could also be called racist.

Maybe we should ask a West Indian to see whether they took offence? That's the real test.

And it isn't the first time that KFC have advertised utilised the WI cricket team here in their promotions here in Oz.

but ... don 't african american eat a lot of fried chicken anyway....and if they do, how is it slander?

what a crock of sh*t - sorry, i mean what a bucket of fried chicken.

When I first saw the add my immediate thoughts were this is going to cause trouble for someone. Living overseas is a good way to get a reflection on how other countries view each others culture and especially your own.

Can anyone remember the problems 'coon cheese' caused?

how about we stuff what they think and live by our own moral code...seriously, dumping an ad becuase the yanks find it offensive? they have done a lot more offensive things over the course of time than this ad. and even their own poll was evenly split on the issue

when will the old "septic tanks" learn that customs, beliefs, religions and styles of humour does not stop at their borders!?:rolleyes:

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2010/01/07/KFC_ad_blasted_as_racist_in_the_US_414820.html

never, i suspect.

Who is more racist -

a) the people who made the ad, acted in the ad and never at any stage thought that the ad WAS racist - otherwise they wouldn't have made it or acted in it, or;

b) the people who took offense and deemed it a racist ad?

And by the way; the Yanks NEVER get our humour.

At least we don't have a 'World Series' with ourselves !!! How racist is that! :mad:

Maybe they should redo the ad with a West Indies guy in the middle of a group of Aussies..... I'm sure none of the 'oversensitive politically correct zombies' would complain then :rolleyes:

At least we don't have a 'World Series' with ourselves !!! How racist is that! :mad:

ACtually, the reason it is called "the world series" is that it was originally started by a newspaper group called "the world" and because they paid for the games and sponsored it then they felt that they could put their name to it. Over time, this group has since been sold off and broken up and had a name change, but the "World series" name has always stuck.

It has nothing to do with a championship for the whole world.

g

but ... don 't african american eat a lot of fried chicken anyway....and if they do, how is it slander?

what a crock of sh*t - sorry, i mean what a bucket of fried chicken.

well if they are saying they are feeling offended, maybe it is you who does not understand why rather than it being automtically wrong (this is what people usually say to me, two sides to each sotry (and give the other side a fair hearing ))

I get/understand what an anfrican american might mean by that if it was an ad which crossed their airwaves for sure, I don't think it's rocket science, but I don't think its worth explaining either.

Lots of people have a low emotional intelligence, and are too easily offended in general. Race is just an excuse for them, but any reason will do.

Who is more racist -

a) the people who made the ad, acted in the ad and never at any stage thought that the ad WAS racist - otherwise they wouldn't have made it or acted in it, or;That's the very point of difference in their thinking and yours - that someone involved DID think it racist, or that worse, as a whole, we're that nsensitive we have a different definition of racism deeming this type of thing as ok..

b) the people who took offense and deemed it a racist ad?

And by the way; the Yanks NEVER get our humour.

I just thought the ad was a coincidence.. I guess they could have used a Sth African or English or Indian team instead for example (?) I dont know..

Its just in poor taste.

I dont think the makers knew they were being offensive (I think they were like many of the posters on here who just havent lived o/s in a place were this would cause genuine offence), but we live in a globalised world and its pretty bad in many markets (US, UK, Carribean, etc.) to make such an ad.

Having lived in Central London where in the very poor areas they are majority immigrants from the Carribean and African nations, and there are literally fried chicken shops on every single corner (think very downmarket KFC) this would hit a raw nerve. Ditto US, etc.... Cross over to the "safer" parts of town and you'd really struggle to find a single such store anywhere. The inference is massive inescapable class divide caused by race. You wouldnt understand or know (and would be forgiven for not understanding) unless you've lived in such a place.

Many Australians are not really racist, but boy are we culturally unaware / insensitive of what goes on elsewhere - and what can really offend others!! :eek:

Hey Hey's come back skit also springs to mind....

Its just in poor taste.

I dont think the makers knew they were being offensive (I think they were like many of the posters on here who just havent lived o/s in a place were this would cause genuine offence), but we live in a globalised world and its pretty bad in many markets (US, UK, Carribean, etc.) to make such an ad.

Having lived in Central London where in the very poor areas they are majority immigrants from the Carribean and African nations, and there are literally fried chicken shops on every single corner (think very downmarket KFC) this would hit a raw nerve. Ditto US, etc.... Cross over to the "safer" parts of town and you'd really struggle to find a single such store anywhere.

Many Australians are not really racist, but boy are we culturally unaware / insensitive of what goes on elsewhere - and what can really offend others!! :eek:

Hey Hey's come back skit also springs to mind....

Well explained, I think I agree with that.

At least we don't leave any of our states to rot after a cyclone - Just because they are black and it does not matter if they cant swim ( oh yes I am ducking for cover but Katrina left a very bad taste in my mouth about how Americans treat their own!)

Maybe we should ask a West Indian to see whether they took offence? That's the real test.

If they didn't it's probably because like the Australians they didn't know chicken was predominantly a black persons food ;).

weg *who eats some form of chicken about 3 times a week and lives within walking distance to 3 chicken shops*

i have to admit that i didnt realise fried chicken was black persons food. It actually makes the colonel image itself a bit wrong... he looks like a plantation owner and here he is cooking up all this fried chicken. can the concept of a whole company be racist? would closing the company down be racist if it deprived mostly black people?

why does the colour of your skin dictate your apetite for fried chicken?

would it be racist to say chinese people like rice?

so many questions...

Back