ubank cancelled my homeloan 3 weeks before settlement

I exchanged contract for a house on October 21, 2013.
The agreed settlement date is December 2, 2013.
Since the property is sold by NSW Trustee and Guardian, there is no cooling off period and I put down 10% deposit (around $35,000).
The dealing with ubank has been good at the beginning. :)
I passed serviceability test, got all the documents required for their online "tracker" facility.
After all the required documents have been received by ubank, they did a valuation on the property this Monday.
The valuation came back good. It matches the purchase price.

I have been busy finding potential tenant over past 2 weeks.
I accepted one of the tenant's application and he gave me 1 week rent today as a security. :)

I then logged into ubank's tracker facility to see the progress and found that the loan has "disappeared".
I rang ubank up and I was told that the property has a granny flat which is against their lending policy. :eek:

I argued that it is not a granny flat but a teenager retreat.
They said it does not matter. As long as it is a detached house and it is tenant-able then they will not lend you the money.
Even if it is just a game room, pool shed, workshop, rumpus room, bar room, etc.

This is a lesson well learnt....
level 1: look at just rate
level 2: look beyond rate and look at features (redraw, offset, etc)
level 3: look beyond rate/features and look at policies

Now I need to come up with 300k to settle in 3 weeks time.
I am not sure if any lender can settle a loan that quick.:(

I rang ubank up and I was told that the property has a granny flat which is against their lending policy. :eek:

They said it does not matter. As long as it is a detached house and it is tenant-able then they will not lend you the money.
Even if it is just a game room, pool shed, workshop, rumpus room, bar room, etc.

This is what worries me. Given that so many good investment properties on the market have some sort of sheds or garage with windows or teenage retreats at the backyard. uhomeloan is just not suitable for this kind of properties.
I really wonder why they have such policy?
Don't they realise that granny flat boosts serviceability to pay them interest?

3 weeks is adequate time to find a lender that has common sense, especiailly if you select lender tommorow and broker orders val before submission

Be aware that not only U bank is a bit funny at 80 % or higher with grannes

ANZ and BWA arent much chop either, and suncorp can be dramatic as well

ta
rolf

This is what worries me. Given that so many good investment properties on the market have some sort of sheds or garage with windows or teenage retreats at the backyard. uhomeloan is just not suitable for this kind of properties.
I really wonder why they have such policy?
Don't they realise that granny flat boosts serviceability to pay them interest?

pointless arguing and whoever took your application at U bank has wasted your and their time and ur CRAA file, that sort of thing isnt unique to u bank, or banks in general, but also afflicts many brokers.

Ubank dont want anything but vanilla borrowers and properties, which is why they can cut fat out of the rate.

Its like going to Aldi and whining they done have Kellogs cornflakes..........

ta
rolf

Don't expect anything from the cheaper lenders other than very standard straight forward securities. Anything out of the ordinary and they cannot assist.

Hi htogh,

Get yourself a good broker asap ^.

Also,have you asked your solicitor to convey to the vendors solicitor you will/may* need an extension for finance?

If not,speak to a broker first and see what they think your chances for finance approval with 3 week time frame.

If you have to extend say for 2 weeks for example,as above ask for an extension with a token payment as in good faith you intend to follow through with the deal.Token payment would be minus funds from settlement,pay now,refund later.

If that fails paying penalty interest say again for example ie:2 weeks,it's peanuts in the scheme of things if you are getting a good deal.

Good luck

Cheers Spades.

Ps.Don't stress,imo a good broker will pull this off within 3 weeks

Last edited:
3 weeks is enough time, i had an application submitted and settled in the last 10 days with a major bank.
I exchanged contract for a house on October 21, 2013.
The agreed settlement date is December 2, 2013.
Since the property is sold by NSW Trustee and Guardian, there is no cooling off period and I put down 10% deposit (around $35,000).
The dealing with ubank has been good at the beginning. :)
I passed serviceability test, got all the documents required for their online "tracker" facility.
After all the required documents have been received by ubank, they did a valuation on the property this Monday.
The valuation came back good. It matches the purchase price.

I have been busy finding potential tenant over past 2 weeks.
I accepted one of the tenant's application and he gave me 1 week rent today as a security. :)

I then logged into ubank's tracker facility to see the progress and found that the loan has "disappeared".

This is a lesson well learnt....
level 1: look at just rate
level 2: look beyond rate and look at features (redraw, offset, etc)
level 3: look beyond rate/features and look at policies

Now I need to come up with 300k to settle in 3 weeks time.
I am not sure if any lender can settle a loan that quick.:(

3 weeks is plenty of time for most banks.

This week had customer come in and see me after broker didn't really do the right thing with them (paid LMI with CBA but suggested elsewhere, costing them $2k extra... other bank was purely for lower rate)

Got the deal Tuesday, val back yesterday, loan doc'd last night. Will be settling Wednesday.

Best of luck hopefully you get it sorted quickly.

Back