UFOs - Fact or Fiction?

I was wanting to make this thread into a poll but can't figure out how. Can anyone advise?

Do UFOs exist?

Before anyone jumps in with assumptions here, I am referring simply to UFO’s, that is, unidentified flying objects. I am not looking for theories on “little green men”. Just interested to hear whether anyone else has had an experience like the one I describe below.

It appeared to me to be a metallic box like object gliding soundlessly through the air. It seemed to be moving effortlessly through the sky with no visible means of propulsion and no resistance. It was travelling just above the tops of the tallest trees at the back of our house. My husband saw it too but he thought it looked more like a small car sized metal object without any wheels. We both saw it quite clearly yet have trouble describing exactly what we saw because it was not like anything else we had ever seen. This happened several years ago. We didn’t rush out and tell anyone because we were very busy with other things at the time but it has stuck in our minds. Since then we have heard stories from friends about UFO sightings. We began to think that our experience is not unique.

What are your thoughts? Have you seen a UFO?

Julie
Audentes Fortuna Juvat

I have seen moving lights at night. But have no doubt they were not extra terrestrial.

UFO reports seem to have dropped off markedly now that most people have video cameras, digital cameras, camera mobile phones at hand...

I'd a thought we would be seeing some evidence at last. :eek:

I've seen many flying objects that I couldn't identify! ;) But that's just my own ignorance on aircraft and bird species ;)

I've personally not ever viewed anything I would describe as a UFO. However, the RAAF collects data re: sightings and where possible investigates. Mostly they find they are weather balloons, aircraft, etc. BUT I have heard from the RAAFies there is a list they have yet to find plausible explaination for.

Yes I have seen a UFO.

1997, rural Victoria, making my way to a farewell function for a work collegue, I was driving my car.
Another work collegue was making her way (to the same place), from another direction, I was heading south, (Bev headed west, then south), she was behind me...

The UFO was "hovering" over the small town I was driving into...very large cylindrical shaped...(not a blimp) and had these colors sort of blue to green and some red..it came in travelling east, hovered above the town, (it was on the south side of town) and moved to the silos and railway line. I had never seen anything like it...what seemed like seconds and seconds went by and I am thinking wtf is all this about (as you do:) ) and with that it made a turn (no smoke or anything) and quickly disappeared into the direction it had come from. (I have never seen any aircraft move the way this did.)

I arrived to the farewell group, told them what had happened, Bev arrived minutes after me, described the same, and another two people (coming from opposite direction to us arrived and said they had seen the same sight/object.

Asked around for days, and nobody was able to explain what it "might" be or even take a guess...apparently one of the local farmers reported it but we never heard anything back?

The feeling was totally, wtf is going on...how, what, where....and disbelief, even though it's right there before your eyes, talking with the others they felt similar responses...

Weird.

Back in the 1970s, I knew a respected QUT senior lecturer in engineering who I believe continues to be involved with UFO research in Australia. His name is Martin Gottschall if anyone wants to google him or get in touch. I always found him to be a highly rational and methodical thinker. He took the field seriously when I knew him.

My Grandfather told a similar story about what happened to him in 1959.

He was sitting on a tractor going around and around in bloody circles....as you do when you are ploughing fields. It was about 4 in the morning (I know what you're thinking....same thing that came to my mind initially....dizzy and tired) and this luminescent blob came out of nowhere and hovered overhead.

All of his lights on both the tractor and plough went off and the engine cut out. He jumped off the tractor and apparently stood in the paddock next to his now silent and darkened tractor, peering up at the thing floating above. There were flourescent small lights flickering on the edges moving in unison.....described as close as possible as the body of a squid when the oil is all squished out.

Apparently it hovered there for about 1 minute, and then immediately took off at lightning speed, going from stationary to completely out of view in less than 1 second. This is the bit that frightened him the most, having been in WW2, he knew what aircraft were capable of.....and this feat was impossible. Being in an open paddock you can see quite a long way. He estimated it travelled at least 8 mile in one second, from a standing start.

As soon as it left, the lights of the tracor came back on and the tractor's engine started.....some sort of electromagnetic interference he reckoned.

He did what all self respecting farmer's would do in that situation. He unhitched the plough, drove the tractor back to the farmhouse, woke up his wife and then proceeded to pour himself a good strong double scotch.

Grandma never believed his story and insisted he just liked to skive off from doing the necessary work and filling the grandkiddies heads with patent nonsense.

To this day, I remain undecided as to whether he saw something unusual. By the look in his eyes and the vividness of his recollection, together with the long pauses when remembering detail, it sure as hell didn't look like he was making it up to me.

Despite that sidesplitting hokey footage of the 'alien autopsy' I believe the US government knows a lot more than they say. I believe there is a 'hangar 13' or equivalent.

I see it in a similar vein to 'the great flood' featuring in art/tales in many cultures across time making some people think it warrants further investigation.

Why not?

'Nanoo nanoo'

silos.JPG

This may help give some idea of what was over the town..the things that really stuck in my mind were:

1. The sheer size of the object, it totally became the dominant feature in the sky...just an awesome presence...and it seemed "so low" over the town.
Also the colors weren't constant, they seemed to re arrange

2.It's movement, the way it hovered in...then, the feeling that it was hovering-suspended there, and then this amazing about flip? and off, just like no other aircraft. For such a large and visible thing it's movement was incredible.

I was reaching the outskirts of the town and had great unobscured vision of all this (as did my friend in her car further back on a connecting side road).

few years ago i saw a photo on the internet, and also a newspaper article about people reporting a UFO sightings in Pakenham Victoria. There was even a picture of it. Maybe u can find it if you search in google 'pakenham UFO"

The UFO sightings i liked best was the one made public by one country (i forgot which), but on their independence day celebration, the soldiers were marching, the tv cameras were rolling, and suddenly they spotted a UFO in the near background. The cameras zoomed on it, and even the military jets for the parade started to fly towards it to find out what it was, but that thing just took off.

Can anyone remember which country?
It seemed that country always has UFO sightings reports that the mayor always give public addresses to tell the people not to panic.

I suspect its an advanced technology by some country spying on other country, maybe.

I think it is really arrogant of us if we think that we on earth are the only known species in the universe. To me, the question is how can there NOT be life 'out there'!

We made one when I was 13 that was reported on the radio.

My older neighbour was the brains behind it.

We made a bag of tissue paper about 1m high and 40cm across. Tapering to a 20cm hole at the bottom framed with balsa wood.

Then diagonal copper wire held an alfoil tray of firelighters.

on a cold evening in Perth we filled it with hot air over a little fire then lit the firelighters. Hoping it would rise a short distance it actually sailed off out of sight with a sinister red glow of the flame through the tissue paper.

Looking back it was pretty stupid as it could have landed and caused a fire, but at least it was a cold winter evening not a hot dry summer's night. At the time we thought that it was an amazing success so we repeated it a couple of times until we got bored and moved onto blacking out the entire suburb.... but that is another story :eek:

It was reported on the local radio station as unknown light drifting across the suburbs..

My wife's brother in law is a model plane buff. He has an electric flying saucer which is basically a disc, dome and motor. He hasn't the imagination to get up to the same mischief with it as I would have ...

I think it is really arrogant of us if we think that we on earth are the only known species in the universe. To me, the question is how can there NOT be life 'out there'!

I agree.

However in the infinity of time and space it is highly remote that two advanced technological species might meet at the same point in time and space ...

In the life of the universe our existence is but a brief spark in time.

I am not falling for any more of the "Life on Mars Discovered" stories.....

always turns out to be algae :mad:

Pah! I want green men with antenna and shiny suits.

Back