Ultimate Getaway

Hi all, I am looking for the ultimate family getaway for my 40th ...

We are wanting beach front stay for wife, 2 kids (6 & 3 yr old) and me. Budget is up to $600 p/night for accommodation (yes are we fussy and want sheer luxury ) and we want to stay in Australia. All up 6 nights/ 7 days Feb/ March in 2013.

With the above brief in mind ... where would you go ???

Look forward to hearing back from everyone's input.

We are wanting beach front stay for wife, 2 kids (6 & 3 yr old) and me. Budget is up to $600 p/night for accommodation (yes are we fussy and want sheer luxury ) and we want to stay in Australia. All up 6 nights/ 7 days Feb/ March in 2013.

You can't beat the Gold Coast and theme parks.

We stayed at the Treasure Island Big 4 caravan park last year; short drive to the parks, to the Gold Coast itself etc.

The caravan park is really well set up for kids, couple of good pools and play areas.

Might be too hot in Feb though.

Great Ocean Rd (beyond Lorne) or Kangaroo Island.

Going to come down to your personal preferences though - solitude vs local cafe downstairs, bustling towns vs villages where you'll be known by the end of your stay. Heaps of activities (food vs adventure vs active vs scenic) vs want to sit quietly with a book.

We stayed up at Marcoola on the Sunshine Coast last year and had a great time - would definitely go again.

Our hotel backed on to a patrolled beach and was a short drive to Maroochydore where we hired a boat and went fishing down the river.

I'm also turning 40 early next year - I'm off to Europe...with or without hubby :)

For that sort of money, I would definitely go overseas. Australian resorts and hospitality fall short of world standards by a long way. The kids will have better things to see and show/tell if they have been overseas. For example, staying in a five star international resort in Malaysia will only cost about AUD $160 per night. You will be able to eat like a king for $5 AUD per head when the equivalent will cost you $60 in australia. The current exchange rates also make it much better to be overseas. For 600 dollars a night, I will go with you for free.

Another vote for Hamilton Island. There is heaps for the kids to do and you can make it as fancy or relaxed as you like.

Stay in the family apartments and make use of the Clownfish club so you can 'escape' for a bit.

Went for our honeymoon, a friend's 40th, then again, and going again this year with same group of friends (with kids). Good times...

Another vote for Hamilton Island. There is heaps for the kids to do and you can make it as fancy or relaxed as you like.

Stay in the family apartments and make use of the Clownfish club so you can 'escape' for a bit.

Went for our honeymoon, a friend's 40th, then again, and going again this year with same group of friends (with kids). Good times...

Hamo for me if u want to stay local

If u have lots of cash

http://www.qualia.com.au/

otherwise you can get a week on a really nice apartment with great views for 2500 or so.

ta
rolf

I dont like Hamilton Island as much as the other Whitsunday islands. It feels more like a beach side suburb.
I've stayed at Sth Molle Island a few times, but they've changed it and dont cater for kids anymore.

Heron Island looks good....

Hey J :)

Are you sure you're almost 40?! I can't believe it :D
With that brief I'd be sticking to the north coast of NSW as QLD might still be a tad too warm then.... Port Douglas especially! Why not go for something luxurious on Stayz like this nice-looking pad at Bryron Bay?
http://www.stayz.com.au/27568?checkin=21/02/2013&numNights=6&numGuests=4

Have a fab time btw- you deserve it!

I dont think this is what he had in mind :D

True, but Treasure Island - for kids - is just as fantastic as any joint costing $600 per night. They don't know or care how much accommodation is worth.

I'd rather do that and put the remaining $400 per night into things like trips to the reef or whatever.

We're going back there again this year for 4 days.

I see he settled on a beachouse in Byron.

After TI and the Parks, we are staying at Byron for 4 days

Staying in a complex that has separate little bungalows near the beach and the pool. Can't remember the cost, but I think it's gunna be around $250 per night?

Back